Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gibbs good shots at 110 and 220 yards

Boolit Master
    I have a Pedersoli Gibbs and plan to take it out again this month as it has been resting since I built up a chunk gun and several slug guns also. Here is what I found out about mine. I tried a Creedmoor 540 grain BACO grease groove and also a 560 flat side paper patch from a custom mold and finally settled on the mold Pedersoli sells for that rifle as their bullet shot less than 1 MOA at 100, 200 and 300 yards (max distance at our range). I used 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90 and 100 grains of Goex FFG and found 80 grains was liked best. I tried a 030 and 060 fiber was and found 060 worked best although NO wad was about as good with the Pedersoli bullet?! I found I did not like the Pedersoli tang sights so I bough a set of Lee Shaver with Soule eye piece which seem to work better for me.

I measured velocity and found 1440 FPS with 90 grains of powder and the paper patched bullet. 1395 FPS with the others and Doug Knoell's bullet lube. The bullets are sized so they just slide down the barrel as designed and all are pure lead. I tried several alloys (forget what) but they tumbled and made really BIG holes in the target. I worked with this rifle and a copy I made at the same time with a Green Mtn. barrel and except for the bullet the loading was the same.

My gibbs do not like heavy loads, it's a shame because I can not push more than 1150 ft/s.
    I tried several loads and lead and tin alloys but without good results.
    I also tried patched bullets, but I had the best results with the 553 gn GG New Postel made with Brooks mold.
    Weapons are like money ... no one ever has enough

After a few months of whims of my Gibbs, I got another good result at 200 meters.
    This time I used PP 540 grains of pure lead and 65 grains of Vectan PNF1.
    The first two shots went high, then I lowered the diopter.
    After a few centers the barrel was dirty and I got 3 shots down, the ball didn't rest well on the wad and I had to change the loading system.
    Clean before putting the powder and the flyers have disappeared.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gibbs 200 mt Bagnolo Mella 2019.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	239153
    Weapons are like money ... no one ever has enough

Great shooting! Thanks for sharing!

Boolit Master
    With all my muzzle loaders, I wipe with a damp patch and then double side a dry patch before loading for the next shot. I always look at the muzzle to see if there is a small amount of grease at the end that way I know the bullet is happy! I use 80 grains of Goex FFG at 200 yards and 90 grains of Goex at 300 yards and beyond. I did find mine shoots best with the Pedersoli mold bullet of pure lead, about 520 grains and NOTHING between the bullet and the powder, no compression at all! That is what Pedersoli recommends?!
    John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12