RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gibbs good shots at 110 and 220 yards

Gibbs good shots at 110 and 220 yards

I tried three times this charge to 100 meters and these are the results

six shots

eight shots

four shots

Then today i tried to 200 meters, which would be your about 220 yards the first test five hits (two of which are in the same hole) went slightly to the left

the second time I made ​​the center with four shots

I am very satisfied, unfortunately in the race gave eight minutes of time and i could not do more, but Saturday and Sunday i want to go back and try to 500 meters (547 yards).
    Last edited by Saltner; 05-02-2014 at 03:26 AM.
    Weapons are like money ... no one ever has enough

Perm-Banned
    keep us posted, love every thing you put on here. you should come visit me some day and i will take you down to alliance ne. and have you shoot at the 800 yard buffalo or the 1000 yard target. you can use one of my guns.

It would be wonderful but the distance between you and me is far beyond the range of my rifle

Boolit Master

You are getting some fine results for such a light charge of powder. Nobody that I shoot with here is using less that 90gr of powder. My load is 95gr 1.5 Kik. I think that when you get to 500M you might find that you might need more powder. Here in the US we don't shoot any closer than 300yd for Mid and Long Range and have one event that goes to 1200yd.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

With this bullet i have tried many times to increase the charge in increments of 5 grains, both with the 2F with the 1.5F and also alloys 1:20, 1:30 .... practically the groups widened.
    I measured the speed of the bullet, 1148 feet.
    Even if he went in 1312 would drop to just less than 68 inches at 500 yards for a compensation of 14/100 inches at the rear sight. Better slow but pleased

Perm-Banned
    you found what your gun likes, stick with it. you have a higher elevation where you are and air moisture is diff. you have figured it out.

Boolit Master
    I truly love your post with the pictures of your targets, & what you are doing to get those results.

Fly

Boolit Master
    Great shooting! I found with both my Gibbs and also the copy I made this past winter, the bullet changes it's impact when using a "light" load of 70 or 80gn of FFG powder. I did some shooting at 100, 200 and 300 with 100gn of FFG and the point of impact changed much less. BUT the work my shoulder had to do was much harder so I went back to 80gn and since our range is maxed at 300 right now that is doable as you have found the needed corrections so it will be in the center. The vertical is great so as long as you know what the bullet does you are a winner.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Saltner - check out the match distances the Pedersoli has won with their Gibbs rifle ...
    http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/tipo...les-gibbs.html
    Regards
    John

It 'a pleasure to share my experiments and results, i hope to be useful to many fans if i can get the mold for bullets patched, i will try to increase the dose of powder.

Greetings to all, Gianluca

Boolit Master
    Saltner, Those are some nice consistent groups you have there. Not trying to hi-jack your thread but has anyone had the dilemma of your groups being more of a shotgun pattern at 100 yards but then at 500 yards with the same charge the bullets would fall into the size of a baseball cap? The powder charges were 95grs. on up to 100grs. of Goex 2F and Swiss 1.5. This with a 540 grain paper patch. Saltner, do you have an idea on which paper patch mold you might try? All the best, Don

I have tried numerous times to make strong charge but the shots scatter, sincerely I found that at 547 yards I have a slower rate of only 59 feet compared to the strong charge.
    For me it is enough, at 220 and 547 yards in a year I may have a chance to shoot 2-3 times, for the rest of the year only shot at 110 yards.
    I still want to try the patched bullets and I'm waiting for the producer is heard, I chose this mold adjustable Company KAL
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Molds.10.jpg 
Views:	1761 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	103939

Boolit Master
    Think you have made a wise choice on molds. I don't have any KAL molds yet but I will.

Boolit Master
    Kal-Tool molds made by fellow member here Red River Rick are as good as molds get. The adjustable PP molds are a bargain at his price. I have more expensive molds but none better.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Don Purcell View Post
    Saltner, Those are some nice consistent groups you have there. Not trying to hi-jack your thread but has anyone had the dilemma of your groups being more of a shotgun pattern at 100 yards but then at 500 yards with the same charge the bullets would fall into the size of a baseball cap? The powder charges were 95grs. on up to 100grs. of Goex 2F and Swiss 1.5. This with a 540 grain paper patch. Saltner, do you have an idea on which paper patch mold you might try? All the best, Don
    Could be that at that distance your boolit is going trans-sonic and is wobbling after which it settles down.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    Could be that at that distance your boolit is going trans-sonic and is wobbling after which it settles down.

Bob
    From my bullet ballistics program to 65 yards is to subsonic speed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Saltner View Post
    From my bullet ballistics program to 65 yards is to subsonic speed.
    With your load or 100gr? I'm not familiar with how long the instability lasts but 35yd isn't much. I was just trying to offer a possible explanation for the difference in group.

Bob

The instability of the projectile to the transition from subsonic to supersonic speed is well known, but with these weapons never reach speeds in excess of 1320 feet, so sooner or later the transition from super to sub there
    The important thing is to have fun
    Last edited by Saltner; 05-07-2014 at 08:37 AM.

This weekend I participated in a shooting race in my country and I tested 100 and 200 meters with my Gibbs.
    At 100 meters after two shots I realize I have four and at that moment I hear the bang on my left and pierce my target.
    Here I got very angry and screamed at the competitor who was firing at my target, he had also shot badly, one low and two high
    I continued with my session, the shots went slightly to the left (I did not understand why, the last time at the shooting range all went in the center) I did not touch the drift to the diopter.
    Convinced of having to shoot 15 shots like 200 meters, they took me two 10.
    That Saturday I was 1st, but on Sunday I relegated to 2nd place.

Name:	ejd83q.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	226491

Then I made the series to 200, after a first shot at 12 o'clock on the edge of the black, I started to turn around 9 and a few 8, wow, the 9 today was my passion
    And here I was 1st and won the race

Name:	2j316pl.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	226492

Then with the tickling of the index finger but with the doubts of all competitors on the feasibility, even shoot at 500 meters, the first two shots I did not see them and I thought they were at the foot of the shape on the ground, corrected the rise and I made 2 more , I imagined, perhaps for the enthusiasm to see one at 10 o'clock and no longer touched the diopter.
    Shoot and shoot .... but honestly the holes were not even seen with a 60x zeiss.
    But when the sign arrived I was satisfied more than the previous results.

Name:	2ni6z3n.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	226493

Boolit Buddy
    That is very fine shooting. Congratulations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast