Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: New Lee 452-230 TL 6 cav. "roundness"???

Boolit Buddy

New Lee 452-230 TL 6 cav. "roundness"???

First casting session with this new mold is dropping bullets that run from .4505" to .4535 so with sizing I can't even get the diameter to .451 as a minimum much less to .452 which the mold is listed to produce. Is this the new normal since Lee stopped latheboring their molds or should I send it back?

Vendor Sponsor

Assuming you are using a 50/50 and a little tin (49/49/2) alloy or somewhat close I would send it back..Thats just way undersized
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master

I'll "assume" that with such size bullet you are using COWWs or RL as an alloy? And are casting a too low a temp.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    I'll "assume" that with such size bullet you are using COWWs or RL as an alloy? And are casting a too low a temp.

If RL is range lead that is what I am using with a bit of tin added. Mold temperature may be the issue. I didn't think that through. I'll cast again at a higher temp and post results. How much diameter increase can I expect if that is the main issue?

Boolit Buddy
    I ran another 10 lbs. through at a much higher temp. Same dimensions. Sending it back.

Boolit Master
    Before I sent it back I'd shoot some to see how they actually shoot. I'm willing to bet they shoot better than you think they might. If you are using them in 45ACP or 45 Colt, neither are high pressure rounds, and the Colt would be far more sensitive to bullet diameter than is the 45 ACP, depending on the cylinder throats of the Colt. I shoot that same boolit from a Rock Island Armory and a Ruger BlackHawk. The boolits drop from my mold exactly as you describe, and the boolits shoot to all my ability to hold.

Banned
    I read this after casting some 200 SWC TL Lees. I just miced them and get 0.4525 to 0.4540. These are only aged a few days.

OK, found some unsized 230 RN TL 45 bullets (at least 6 months old). Got a couple 0.451 readings here and there but mostly .0453+ to the occasional 0.455x. Maybe not great on the roundness but I size no matter what so not a concern.

If you see more than one or two 0.451x I would call Lee.

Boolit Buddy
    I loaded 25 of these sized and 25 unsized. They both shot very well with the unsized bullets performing slightly better. I will keep the mold and shoot unsized and lubed With LLA. I am pleasantly surprised with no leading and a load of 3.5 grains of RED Dot, a great load for the 45 ACP.