Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H&R Buffalo Classic Questions

Boolit Master
    so did you just remove the bow part of the trigger guard and leave the plastic part that carries the pieces in the action?
    I like the looks of that

Perma-Banned
    somebody on graybeard did a run of steel triggerguards & fore-end irons a while back. don't know if any still available or not. midway had triggerguards listed in the last catalog I had from them but they were tucked in amongst some other unrelated parts & not easy to find.

Perm-Banned
    glad to hear about the after market steel parts, as for what i did. i carefully cut off the bow part of the triggerguard and filed and sanded it smooth. then it just a matter of tapping two holes drilled in to the bottom of the action. that trigger guard comes in brass or steel and is of the ohio design for muzzleloaders. it makes it look almost like a saddle carbine. i should get a saddle ring like the old 94/s and put that on for decoration. the gun feels so much more ballanced when i added the weight where the forestock is. the hole was drilled in that piece so when i slipped it over the barrel it got tight their. it has a small hole drilled sideways through it at the bottom to accept a pin that barely touches the barrel. very secure. the bottom is drilled and tapped so the fore end can be held on by a screw. what i really like is how it shoots. the bullet goes where the sights are pointed with out fail.

Boolit Grand Master

Well, after reading these excellent posts and several pm's from helpful members I decided to go at the Classic from a different angle.

I got a regular h&r in 35 Whelen for $211 shipped. Just too good a price to pass up. I'm going to send it in to get the 45-70 Classic barrel and replace the forearm. I was going to remove the williams peep for a ladder anyways so no loss there. Johnson1942 put me onto the exact sight I have in mind so a big thank you to him for all of the advice and comments.

For the price of a Buffalo Classic alone I'll have 2 rifles although without case hardened colors but I'm ambivelant on that point. Thanks for all of the help.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Perm-Banned
    both the 45/70 and the 35 whelen in my opinion are the best cartridges out their. have fun.

Boolit Master
    My friend does bronze casting art. Think there would be a market for trigger guards and barrel lugs for these?

I may have to work with him on mine to see if it'd be worth it for him to knock out some.

Boolit Master

Here is a cover I made for someone with bullet loops. It is also pretty easy to add some dense foam from the hardware store inside to dampen the hit to your shoulder. I rarely shoot my 45-70 B/C now that I have one in 38-55. www.whyteleatherworks.com

Attachment 104659

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NVScouter View Post
    My friend does bronze casting art. Think there would be a market for trigger guards and barrel lugs for these?

I may have to work with him on mine to see if it'd be worth it for him to knock out some.
    These rifles are reasonably popular, and I could see a small market for steel parts - or maybe even a brass trigger guard. I wouldn't plan on doing runs of hundreds of parts at a time, because you might end up sitting on them for a long time! Marketing skills would be essential, IMHO.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I've been texting him and we may take mine apart this weekend and see what he thinks. I'm going to buy the machined front spacer from TT for my two but a brass/bronze trigger guard might be nice. The adapted Hawken ones I've seen look better than the plastic by far but still look adapted.

He's a blacksmith/bronze artist so he will know what the cost/time would be to produce. Somthing to look into. He said he can do about 20-50 castings per mold. Maybe do 40-50 and see what comes of it.

Boolit Master
    I kinda like these buf guns myself. I don't have one but I do have a older shotgun that I am very naughty with and a couple years ago I started to make a trigger guard that would pivot to open the action then I gave up. I totally hate that button to push to open but it does work. Did I mention that trigger is a trial and tribulation to get back in the reciever?
    Look twice, shoot once.

This a heads up for anyone needing a replacement stock for the Buffalo Classic.
    Gunstocks, Inc. http://www.gunstocksinc.com/
    Sells a replacement stock.
    I bought one over a year ago knowing I was going to have to replace the damaged stock on my rifle.
    Now a year and a half later I am getting ready to reassemble the beast and lo and behold one of the pilot holes for the butt plate is drilled off center and at about a 25 degree slant.
    Contacted above company and they said pound sand as their 'guarantee' is good for 14 days.
    So, if you decide to buy one of their expensive replacements, please give it a very good going over immediately upon receiving it.
    Am considering putting rosin nuts in rear of stock since I'm not very confident of their material since their manufacturing standards are so low.
    This episode is funny because I went the purchase route rather than have to fight with making the butt stock ie shaping and etc.
    Looks like I'll be doing that now anyway.
    YMMV

Perm-Banned
    i wish some one would make the brass part that attaches to the fore stock and and goes against the reciever. it would be very nifty looking with my brass trigger guard. many of the muzzle loader nice trigger guards can be put on a buffalo classic. i didnt take out my trigger ***. to cut off the plastic trigger guard. i just did it when it was still in the gun. all you have to do to put on the trigger guard of your choise is drill and tap two hole and thats very easy. my gun looks like a western carbine of the old west when i modified it. it took a trip with me to denver and back two days ago. felt safer going into populated country with my buffalo rifle with me. happily it just layed on the back seat and never moved. think all this talk about the buffalo classic makes me want to get another barrel for it and put a long range old style buffalo shooting scope on it and go compete down at alliance, i know it would make a good 1000 yard gun with my paperpatched bullets. can not find any falts in mine at all.

"i wish some one would make the brass part that attaches to the fore stock and and goes against the reciever."
    Me too! And trigger guard.
    Attachment 105102
    I am currently cutting these out of steel on a wire EDM. Have brass on hand to use for first ones for a friend of mine and me.
    Major concern I have is trigger slot in guard. Note two different shapes inside.
    But I'll decide how I'm going to do it after I get back in the shop in June.
    Mill with fillets?
    Mill and then cut square with another process?
    Burn with sinker EDM? Who knows what I'll decide, or even if.
    Have butt plate drawn up as well but not sure I want to spend $ on brass just yet for it.
    Gunstocks, Inc with their unbelievably bad quality control have put the butt plate concern way back. Maybe even until I make my own butt stock, if I can.
    We'll see.
    My projects usually get superseded by other requirements of time and machine. Summer is supposed to be light on machines I need though so maybe it will get done.
    PS If anyone wants the MasterCam output of these just contact me-[by e-mail though].
    MasterCam out put available as IGES, DWG, etc. etc.
    I guess posting output can be available as will.

Boolit Master

Brass pivots would make my B/C's look better for sure, especially if I also did a brass trigger guard. Put them on my 45-70 and my 38-55.

Perm-Banned
    i got a new walnut butt stock from H and R a couple of years ago when the original got dammaged. i think it was less than 60 dollars and very well made.

Can't remember the answer I got from H&R but everyone was saying how "good' the Gunstock Inc stocks were.
    I received mine, looked it over and put it away.
    Now when I'm ready to attach a butt plate,(looking it over a little closer) I find the mess they left me with.
    I'll just catalog it under education and never buy another piece of wood from the original supplier.
    Have too many things going on right now to bother with a butt stock.
    But for others this was just a heads up.

Boolit Master
    Thats pretty sad considering how stupid simple the H&R stock design is. Its not like a bolt action inletting...just a tapered hole for goodness sake. Sounds like a trip to the store for a chunk of harwood would be more fun. Not too hard to do at home with a few decent tools.

Quote Originally Posted by kywoodwrkr View Post
    Can't remember the answer I got from H&R but everyone was saying how "good' the Gunstock Inc stocks were.
    I received mine, looked it over and put it away.
    Now when I'm ready to attach a butt plate,(looking it over a little closer) I find the mess they left me with.
    I'll just catalog it under education and never buy another piece of wood from the original supplier.
    Have too many things going on right now to bother with a butt stock.
    But for others this was just a heads up.

Boolit Bub
    depending on finish and price, I would be interested in two sets of bronze or brass accessories for the buff classics. keep me in mind should anyone start casting/making some. thanks xp

Perm-Banned
    as long as someone is considering makeing brass or bronze tigger and forestock parts, why not a buttplate that is curved on the inside to fit the classic but a straight shotgun type where the shoulder rests. bet you could sell those. i would get one. it may add a little weight but that good gun could use a little weight.

Boolit Master
    My friend and I didnt get to look at it yet. He has a property closing that is taking up any free time.

My Buffalo Classic's "cressent" buttplate was junk. Fitted poorly and undersize with the worst case hardening I've seen. Cutting it off and putting on a Limbsaver didnt make me cry one bit. I didnt want to get another stock since I had tried my Handi Rifle's and found it more suited to a scope. The BC's stock profile is really good for iron sites and the wood is darn nice. Adding weight in the stock didnt apeal to me much either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12