Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&R Buffalo Classic Questions

Boolit Grand Master

H&R Buffalo Classic Questions

I called H&R for answers but after 20min on hold I hung up and thought you guys could help on this.

1) What is the relative strength of the H&R compared to, say, a Marlin Lever?

2) If I get a regular H&R 22in can I send it in to get the longer 32in barrel? I know the stock and forend are different but will that work and how about vice versa? Could I get the Buffalo Classic and get the shorter barrel to hunt with in several calibers like 357Mag, 243 etc?

This would seem to me to be a good idea as I could get 2 rifles for the same price as one of the Buffalo Classics however without the old time stock and forearm

3) I have read that the Pardner Shotgun Stocks will swap on the Classic with no fitting. Is this true?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    1. The SB-1 actions are suitable for .45-70 ammo loaded to Ruger-only pressures. Most shooters shoulders give up long before the rifle.
    2. Yes, yes, yes. Barrels must be factory-fitted, and your forearm must be included.
    3. Yes.

If you go to the Graybeard Outdoors forums, they have a very informative H&R sub-forum there.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Read with interest nicholst55's comment about the strength of the SB-1 action. I had the impression that the break-open actions were proofed for the "trapdoor" loads, (about 28,000 cup). When you say "Ruger" do you mean the #1/#3 action? I recall these as being very strong actions for the 45-70, on the par with the Siamese Mauser.

Perma-Banned
    the buffalo classic is on an sb2(steel) frame & will handle anything that's safe to use in that action design. as mentioned above, sign up over at graybeard & you can learn more than you ever thought there was to know about handi-rifles. they've got a pretty massive fan base there that call themselves "handi-holics".

luck & have a good'en, bubba.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Here's the link for NEF discussion on Graybeard ... http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-cent...v01llsmaitk4j5
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Excellent info.Thanks.

I understood nichols got the action number wrong as i went to h&r site first. Im going to try some surplus powder for target just for kicks and thot it mite be a good rifle to start with. I had one in 243 a number of years ago and after some tinkering with loads it was a tackdriver

Perma-Banned
    my buffalo classic with 340 lee boolits lubed with wil-gen's beeswax mixture loaded to blackpowder velocity is a tack-driver at 75yds. stout loads will very rapidly make you cuss that curved steel buttplate. I replaced my stock & fore-arm with a checkered walnut set from a topper deluxe classic plus a lead-filled piece of copper pipe & it's pleasant to shoot even if I pep it up just a bit but I still stay away from high-level loads. ruger loads are way too much in my opinion. lever-action levels would be more in line for this action.

Boolit Master
    NEF/H&R says that the high-pressure rifle receivers will withstand Marlin or Winchester 1886 load data, yet they chamber the same actions for higher pressure cartridges like the .500 S&W. Buffalo Bore cartridges says that they have tested the Handi with Ruger #1 or #3 level .45-70 loads with no problems, and endorse their heavy .45-70 loads for the Buffalo Classic. Several others have stated that they use Ruger #1-level loads in their Handi rifles all the time. Personally, I would expect that NEF/H&R knows what their rifles will safely digest on a regular basis - even though they do chamber it for a higher-pressure cartridge.

One big problem with the Buffalo Classic is that it is rather light for shooting heavy loads. That, and the curved steel buttplate are both against it! I would love to see NEF/H&R offer a version with a shotgun buttplate and a significantly heavier barrel. That, and sights that are actually the correct height for the rifle (the Lyman 17 front sight they use is normally too tall).
    Last edited by nicholst55; 05-01-2014 at 05:50 PM.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

in Remebrance
    What you can encounter with persistent heavy loads in the Ruger category is receiver stretch, which is the reason the factory doesn't chamber any of the magnums. Plus the deep bruising. In addition why do people want to push the upper limits? The 45/70 405gr boolit even an trap-door level loads will kill anything you're liable to pull the trigger on quite dead. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Grand Master

I've used curved steel buttstock firearms before and they pretty much dissuaded me from wanting to try 458Mag levels of loads in a single shot. I was interested in how strong the action was.

Boolit Master
    the trapdoor is rated around 25000 cup, your Marlin is closer to 28000 and Ruger is around 35000. This is quite a difference. Most of us shoot around 32000 in our Sharps Rifles
    for a better comparison, look up trapdoor CUP or you might find some good reading here

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...5-70+preasures

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by doc1876 View Post
    the trapdoor is rated around 25000 cup, your Marlin is closer to 28000 and Ruger is around 35000. This is quite a difference. Most of us shoot around 32000 in our Sharps Rifles
    for a better comparison, look up trapdoor CUP or you might find some good reading here

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...5-70+preasures
    thanks doc1876. I am also looking hard at a Chapparal 1876 45-60. I owned a large number of firearms at one time then kinda got too busy to play with them and sold off most. Now I'm interested in them again and since finding this sight have started casting so am looking towards old firearms which have always peaked my interest. A 300 Ultra kill-em from 1500yrds rifle is nice but an old 1892 or 1876 Lever is something that has always fascinated me. That and revolvers although I do own semi's for carry I have always loved revolvers first and foremost. That sure went off the track!!!!

Perm-Banned
    on my buffalo classic i got a very very nice lace up real leather slip over pad for the curved butt plate from buffalo arms. i made a firm foam rubber piece that filled in the curved butt plate area. slipped on the pad and laced it up. look good and feels good. used to use reloader 7 with very good results but to make it even more comfortable to shoot i now use blackhorn 209 and recoil is very good and accracy is right on. really like the gun. also took of that plastic trigger guard and put on a ohio type trigger guard. really made it look better.

Boolit Master
    pics of the trigger guard please!

Perm-Banned
    ill see if my wife can put the pictures of the gun on here to day.

Perm-Banned

picture

my modified buffalo classic. a diff. trigger guard, fore stock, and some weight added at the left hand palm level. barrel shortened to 28 inches. cryo treated and reblued. 1400 yard rear sharps buckhorn and leather lace up butt pad. back of barrel throated for 1 inch to .459. shoot a 450 grain .440 paperpatch bullet that i swage my self. a real tackdriver and well ballanced. going to use it for deer season next year. the front sight is a cal. brass blade.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0859.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	104079

Of course, you could make the argument that a man who can stand the recoil of Ruger #1 loads in a Handi Rifle probably doesn't need a rifle in the first place. But I digress.... Good advice above on Greybeard Outdoors. Lots of info and helpful folk there.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master
    I beleive the SB-1 is the weaker action and the SB-2 is the stronger action. Your shoulder will probably give out before you reach top levels with the SB2 action.

What do steel or brass trigger guards and fore end piece for the H&R sell for? Where?
    If available are they cast or milled?
    Is there a more suitable butt plate available for the 1871 Buffalo?
    Thanks

Perm-Banned
    the trigger guard i got from the track of the wolf. the steel part that attaches to the forestock came from a old shotgun. the forestock i made my self out of rosewood. the extra weight under the beavertail type forestock was machined by a s.dak machinest. but didnt H and R sell the trigger guards and attachment to the forestocks as extra in steel a few years back? i know for a while they sold a delux buffalo classic with all steel parts and better blueing. i saw one in grandforks n,dak. as far as the butt plate goes just do as i did. i made a firm rubber piece to fit the hollow of the crescent shaped butt plate and then put a all leather lace up shot gun cover over it. recoil is nothing now. i bet their are many many buffalo classics out their that have been modified to fit the owners needs. they are so easy to work with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast