Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: MiHec RCBS 45-270 SAA Initial Tests

MiHec RCBS 45-270 SAA Initial Tests

I hastily cast a small batch of these (penta & large HP pins) late Tuesday night of ACWW. Lubed them Wednesday after work and loaded them over 9.5 grs. of Unique. Chrono results as fired from my 4 5/8" NM Vaquero are:

Large HP (265 grs.)- 1034 fps; e.s.- 20 fps
    Penta HP (276 grs.)- 1000 fps; e.s.- 18 fps

Unlike my Uberti's which seem to have become a natural extension of my arm, I struggle a bit shooting this Vaquero effectively. I tried to get some groups at 25 yds. shooting from the bench, but I have a difficult maintaining a consistent grip shooting from the bench as evidenced by groups with 3 or 4 shots clustered together, with 1 or 2 out of the group. I finally hung a target on my 50 yd. board and shot from a sitting position which seems to work better for some reason:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Miha lghp target-edit.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	103653

Tomorrow night I intend to cast a full pots worth in non-HP form and try them Friday after work.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy

Thank you for the info.
    I plan on casting some up fairly soft to try out in a S&W Governor.

CPL Lou

Very good velocity and small ES with that load. Funny, my Ruger Old Army cap & ball does not like shooting off a rest (wrist support) but prefers free recoil similar to a sitting position with elbows on knees for accuracy.

Anyone else tried these bullets yet? I've been trying a few loads and so far haven't found one that doesn't shoot.

I shot this next one last night. It's the second time I've tried this load and it's shot great both times. I even tried sizing .452" and .453" and it grouped great with both bullets. At 1060 fps, this out to be a real game getter!

The only problem I have, and it happens almost every time, is my very first shot is a little out of the group. In both groups pictured above you can clearly see one shot out of the bunch.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

I have been playing with this boolit lately using the shallow cup pin.Im shooting it out of my Henry.I cant get it to feed so have been shooting it single shot.So far I am very happy with the accuracy using 16gr of 2400.Im casting these 50/50 so they are soft and sized at .454 and lubed with carnuba red.

Boolit Buddy

I loaded some of both types of hollow points and tested them in my Bisley Blackhawk using Power Pistol. At 9.0grs, accuracy wasn't very good at all but at 9.5grs, it tightened right up. Both styles of hollow points were equally accurate, about 2".
    I'll post pics soon of the targets, shot at 25 yards.
    I used 2500+ lube and CCI 350 primers (only primers I had in stock at the time).
    Use these loads at your own risk ! They are listed as safe in the stronger guns such as the Ruger Blackhawks.

CPL Lou

Boolit Buddy
    I have the RCBS mold for my Ruger 45 colt/45acp. The 9 gr of Unique is quite accurate in mine.
    Camba

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    35 Whelen, I take it that is an after market Bisley hammer? If so who makes it as I really like the looks of it as it makes a nice looking set up compared to the factory hammer. Thanks, Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Purcell View Post
    35 Whelen, I take it that is an after market Bisley hammer? If so who makes it as I really like the looks of it as it makes a nice looking set up compared to the factory hammer. Thanks, Don
    Don that is a factory hammer for a Ruger Bisley. They're available anywhere that sells Ruger parts and I think I got mine at Midwayusa.com. But they do take quite a bit of fitting to look right. You are right they look so much better than the origin hammer.

35W

NRA Life Member

Vendor Sponsor

I still have some of this molds!

Pm me if you want one
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose