Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeding boolits to your Star or Ballisti-Cast Mk VI?

Boolit Buddy

Looks like I should have ordered more when I did, it's no longer stocked.
    This was from my order of 9/12/2013:

1. Lees Thinwall Rigid Tubing - Clear: : 7/16" OD x 36" Long Sku: S16020
    URL: http://www.lnt.com/show_product/507393
    SKU: 507393-16020-S16020
    Quantity: 1

2. Lees Thinwall Rigid Tubing - Clear: : 1/2" OD x 36" Long Sku: S16025
    URL: http://www.lnt.com/show_product/507394
    SKU: 507394-16025-S16025
    Quantity: 5

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by kayak1 View Post
    Looks like I should have ordered more when I did, it's no longer stocked.
    This was from my order of 9/12/2013:

1. Lees Thinwall Rigid Tubing - Clear: : 7/16" OD x 36" Long Sku: S16020
    URL: http://www.lnt.com/show_product/507393
    SKU: 507393-16020-S16020
    Quantity: 1

2. Lees Thinwall Rigid Tubing - Clear: : 1/2" OD x 36" Long Sku: S16025
    URL: http://www.lnt.com/show_product/507394
    SKU: 507394-16025-S16025
    Quantity: 5
    If you google the part you will find it being sold by other location, one might even be local to you. The 1/2"OD ones are great for 38 and 9MM, I wouldn't order the 7/16" one again, it's only strong enough if you put it inside the 1/2, when you do that it's just fine.

Originally Posted by LAH
    Dave when selling bullets I used a feeder because I wanted my left hand free to catch the bullets as they came from the sizer. This way I could let them roll in my hand to be sure the lube groove was completely filled. A very good practice. I fed the feeder with water line cut to hold 30-34 Keith bullets, that's about all the return spring could handle. You're talking about the return spring on the Star feeder mechanism, yes? What size tubes and where did you get them? I stood the tubes up leaning against my bench Simple, handy and effective, I like that.& filled them adding a lubed bullet 'bout every 7th one. Keep things running smoother and easier, yes? The pin held the bullets in the tube till placed on the feeder. I probably have 10 tubes. Could you provide pipe diameters, in and out and where you got the plastic pipe?This is what worked for me. Now that I'm retired I'll probably sell the 2 feeders I have & simply feed them by hand & let them drop into a box since I don't have any picky customers to please. I'm smiling and laughing on that one and completely understand what you're saying.

Q: You're talking about the return spring on the Star feeder mechanism, yes?
    A: YES

Q: What size tubes and where did you get them?
    A: Standard ½” PVC water line from Lowes.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_23966-1814-P...7C1&facetInfo=

Q: Keep things running smoother and easier, yes?
    A:Yes if you send a lubed bullet through the die now & then it lubes the upper part of the die making things go much smoother. You will know how often by the amount of pressure sizing requires.

Q: Could you provide pipe diameters, in and out and where you got the plastic pipe?
    A: Again just standard PVC ½” water line from Lowes. This size if perfect for 41, 44 & 45. It is a little large for 32 & 38 but will work without trouble.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Gentlemen,

Thank you for the information. It's enough to get going on for sure. Still want to see those home made collators and automaters as well.

Post 10 and 11 here shows what I use now and the jigs I made to make the feed plates.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...eeder-for-star

The first one I built after I learned that the MA Systems collator (yellow one posted above) cost over $1000. Also that they noted that their collator was not 100% stating inverted rates of short/fat bullets like a 45 acp could be as high as 1:100.

Never could get it to work 100% either so I added a cull device to drop inverted bullets out before they made it to the machine. The ogive being smaller would not trigger the whisker switch and fall into the feed tube. A base up bullet would hit the switch, opening up a trap door and dropping the inverted bullet down the aluminum tube before it could enter the machine. Worked every time all the time.

No videos of it in operation in its intended use but here is one of it sorting 380 from 9mm, so you can see how it works.
    Last edited by jmorris; 05-08-2014 at 11:29 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=LAH;2762289]If you want to get serious you can go all out.

QUOTE]

LAH , what's the air set up to the left of the bullet punch jib ? I've got the second unit Magma made and it doesen't have that

That is a little rocker switch. This machine belongs to a friend of mine & is a Ballisti-Cast. And for the life of me I can't quite remember it's function. Perhaps someone will jump in here & help me out.

Boolit Buddy
    It is the air switch for automatic lubing. The machine pumps a small amount of lube with every stroke of the punch. The punch is retracted in that photo, but as it comes down the punch housing will contact the small roller on the side of the switch to activate it.
    Last edited by ssnow; 05-13-2014 at 12:01 AM. Reason: typo

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Post 10 and 11 here shows what I use now and the jigs I made to make the feed plates.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...eeder-for-star

The first one I built after I learned that the MA Systems collator (yellow one posted above) cost over $1000. Also that they noted that their collator was not 100% stating inverted rates of short/fat bullets like a 45 acp could be as high as 1:100.

Never could get it to work 100% either so I added a cull device to drop inverted bullets out before they made it to the machine. The ogive being smaller would not trigger the whisker switch and fall into the feed tube. A base up bullet would hit the switch, opening up a trap door and dropping the inverted bullet down the aluminum tube before it could enter the machine. Worked every time all the time.

No videos of it in operation in its intended use but here is one of it sorting 380 from 9mm, so you can see how it works.
    Could you post a picture with the white wheel removed (if it removes easily)? I would like to see how you setup the drop floor.

The first photo is with the trap door closed so the part can pass over the "cull" hole and make it around to the "feed" hole, you should be able to make out the marks they left from use.

The 2nd photo I have it pulled open to the "cull" position.

Note the delay off relay. It is set so the "door" will remain open long enough that the "bad" bullet can make it to the cull hole but will close before a "good" bullet can make it there.

Also worth noting that the Tyvar "slide" is machined down at the edges so they are just below the top of the aluminum part and extend under the steel part so it can never hit the edge when all the way open.

So you have a 1/4" plastic part that rides in an 1/8" groove in the aluminum and also locate in a groove in the 1/8" steel top plate. This makes the trap door flush with the surface when closed.

One more thing, in the attached photos the input feed tube is rotated away, so I could remove the wheel; however, if you mount it that way you can rotate it to align with the holes in the wheel. Instead of making everything precision, make it adjustable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20140515_242739_034.jpg   IMG_20140515_242749_550.jpg  
    Last edited by jmorris; 05-15-2014 at 01:56 AM.

Boolit Bub

Lee Case feeder

I just took a Lee case feeder (for Pro 1000 or Loadmaster) for small cases (the one with an aluminium funnel), popped out the aluminium funnel and chucked it in the cordless drill and used emery cloth on it until it fitted snugly in the fullet feeder from Star:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140715_182138.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	110681

I now can inspect the bullets as I feed them into the tubes and avoid punching a hole in my left index finger (have been a close shave some times

Regards,
    Norseman

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    I just took a Lee case feeder (for Pro 1000 or Loadmaster) for small cases (the one with an aluminium funnel), popped out the aluminium funnel and chucked it in the cordless drill and used emery cloth on it until it fitted snugly in the fullet feeder from Star:

I now can inspect the bullets as I feed them into the tubes and avoid punching a hole in my left index finger (have been a close shave some times

Regards,
    Norseman
    Sometimes simple is very, very good I really hate the Ballistic Cast feeder tube and am working on replacing it. I think I'm going to copy your idea to increase convenience immediately, then upgrade to a better feeder system in the future. Right now I'm buried creating a war chest for the wife's soon to start sod business.:/

Did you ever put the Lee turret tubes to use that I sent you?

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Did you ever put the Lee turret tubes to use that I sent you?
    I haven't yet, been too busy helping my wife start a business. I've got it here and that's the one I'm going to use, just need to pick up tubes for it. I was looking for the tubes when she informed me her boss was running his business into the ground and she'd need a job soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12