Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding boolits to your Star or Ballisti-Cast Mk VI?

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar

How do you feed boolits to your Star or Ballisti-Cast Mk VI?

Okay, I've heard where folks have used these little turrets with four boolit tubes to feed boolits to their Star/Mark VI. In the past I've seen tubes with pins used to load up batches of boolits, then dump them in as one goes. I've also heard of collaters being used, just like on a progressive reloader.

So please bring out the pics of the solution you came up with to load up more boolits ready to be sized/lubed than just using what is available from Magma and Ballistic-Cast. Please show how you adapted and and list the materials.

Let's get together a "what options, "how to," and "where to get" thread going. Nothing like a pile of ideas to save folks money and enhance their casting/luber-sizing/reloading.

Thank you,

Dave
    Last edited by DaveInFloweryBranchGA; 05-01-2014 at 07:32 AM.

42 views and not a single post? Come on gents, I know you got pics and stories to tell.

Boolit Master
    I just feed mine to the top of the tube of the bullet feeder. Works fine, no tubes to fill, no collator to set up. Can do 800 - 900 per hour easily. No pinched fingers either! If ever a collator comes along at a reasonable price that actually works nose down, I'll be interested. Rod

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFloweryBranchGA View Post
    42 views and not a single post? Come on gents, I know you got pics and stories to tell.
    Yeah, I got a story to tell, but it's not one that will save you money I'm feeding my sizer with a MA systems collator......It's great, but it's not cheap Actually, I recently bought the commercial sizer, and use the collator for that machine.

For the hand sizer, I was just using some lengths of PEX pipe. (Hey, it works and its what I had on hand.) But there is no reason you couldn't use a collator if you find a deal or can make one.

Dave when selling bullets I used a feeder because I wanted my left hand free to catch the bullets as they came from the sizer. This way I could let them roll in my hand to be sure the lube groove was completely filled. I fed the feeder with water line cut to hold 30-34 Keith bullets, that's about all the return spring could handle. I stood the tubes up leaning against my bench & filled them adding a lubed bullet 'bout every 7th one. The pin held the bullets in the tube till placed on the feeder. I probably have 10 tubes. This is what worked for me. Now that I'm retired I'll probably sell the 2 feeders I have & simply feed them by hand & let them drop into a box since I don't have any picky customers to please.

Here's how I did it.

The feeder

Bullet in die

Tube in top of feeder

If you want to get serious you can go all out.

Quote Originally Posted by rodsvet View Post
    I just feed mine to the top of the tube of the bullet feeder. Works fine, no tubes to fill, no collator to set up. Can do 800 - 900 per hour easily. No pinched fingers either! If ever a collator comes along at a reasonable price that actually works nose down, I'll be interested. Rod
    I'm looking at everything from what you're doing to a full blown collator, either home made or store bought. I'd feed by hand like you're doing, but my psoriasis is creating a condition/pain similar to arthritis in my joints, so to avoid some pain I'm looking at all my options.

ssnow, in red in the quote, per my usual:

Quote Originally Posted by ssnow View Post
    Yeah, I got a story to tell, but it's not one that will save you money Since when is shooting and reloading about saving money? I've not saved a dime yet, just shot more and better. I'm feeding my sizer with a MA systems collator......It's great, but it's not cheap Actually, I recently bought the commercial sizer, and use the collator for that machine. I'd like to do that, but can't justify the price at the volumes I'm doing.

For the hand sizer, I was just using some lengths of PEX pipe. (Hey, it works and its what I had on hand.) Okay, I'm ignorant. What is PEX pipe and where do you get it? Any sizer recommendations?But there is no reason you couldn't use a collator if you find a deal or can make one. That is my goal, but I'm not quite mechanical enough to do so without some help related to the design. Though I'm seriously thinking about hitting Jmorris up for some more information about his setups and see if he'll help me copy.

LAH, in red in the quote:

Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    Dave when selling bullets I used a feeder because I wanted my left hand free to catch the bullets as they came from the sizer. This way I could let them roll in my hand to be sure the lube groove was completely filled. A very good practice. I fed the feeder with water line cut to hold 30-34 Keith bullets, that's about all the return spring could handle. You're talking about the return spring on the Star feeder mechanism, yes? What size tubes and where did you get them? I stood the tubes up leaning against my bench Simple, handy and effective, I like that.& filled them adding a lubed bullet 'bout every 7th one. Keep things running smoother and easier, yes? The pin held the bullets in the tube till placed on the feeder. I probably have 10 tubes. Could you provide pipe diameters, in and out and where you got the plastic pipe?This is what worked for me. Now that I'm retired I'll probably sell the 2 feeders I have & simply feed them by hand & let them drop into a box since I don't have any picky customers to please. I'm smiling and laughing on that one and completely understand what you're saying.
    Thank you for the pics, helps a lot to be able to see.

If you want to get serious you can go all out.
    Wow, now that is a serious collator. I betcha it wasn't cheap.

The Star bullet feeder accepts 1/2" nominal copper tube (5/8" OD).

1/2" CPVC (Chlorinated PolyVinyl Chloride) and 1/2" PEX (Cross oriented PolyEthylene) will also work.

Although your particular situation may not allow you to do it; I found that I could feed boolits by hand directly into the sizing die much faster than using the optional bullet feeder.

Jerry

P.S. I never had a serious mishap, but I did trim my thumb nail with the punch on one occasion.
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Quote Originally Posted by KYCaster View Post
    The Star bullet feeder accepts 1/2" nominal copper tube (5/8" OD).

1/2" CPVC (Chlorinated PolyVinyl Chloride) and 1/2" PEX (Cross oriented PolyEthylene) will also work. This the outer diameter on several sizes with the same inner diameter?

Although your particular situation may not allow you to do it; I found that I could feed boolits by hand directly into the sizing die much faster than using the optional bullet feeder.

Jerry

P.S. I never had a serious mishap, but I did trim my thumb nail with the punch on one occasion. This is another reason. A few millimeters difference and you might be missing a much bigger chunk of your finger/thumb.
    Thank you for the information.

Now you guys with Ballisti-Cast MK VI's, time to step up as well. This thread is about both and finding all the good solutions.

Wow, now that is a serious collator. I betcha it wasn't cheap.
    http://m-asystems.com/

Dave, 1/2" copper tube, 1/2" CPVC and 1/2" PEX all have the same 5/8" OD, but the ID is not the same. All will accept a .454 dia. boolit.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Quote Originally Posted by KYCaster View Post
    Dave, 1/2" copper tube, 1/2" CPVC and 1/2" PEX all have the same 5/8" OD, but the ID is not the same. All will accept a .454 dia. boolit.

Jerry
    So that solves .45 calibers, what about 38/357 and smaller?

I notice they don't list prices on their website nor a way to order online. If you are wanting to order online, you aren't in the right price bracket to be their customer.

Boolit Master

Just go to Tap plastics and buy some clear plastic tubes, kinda like LAH did except they are probably cheaper and you can see through them. Drill a hole and put a clip in them. Then fill them up while watching TV or babysitting or something. You can inspect them while filling and again while sizing as the tubes are clear. I put all my bullets into styro trays so I need my left hand free, one reason I don't have a B/C sizer and why I need bullet feeders.

Boolit Buddy

I notice they don't list prices on their website nor a way to order online. If you are wanting to order online, you aren't in the right price bracket to be their customer.
    Magma will sell you one. I have a mr bullet feeder, i am currently using it to fill tubes. You will find another thread with the part numbers for cheep clear plastic aquarium tubes from linens and things (free shipping too). He should be shipping a nose down adaptor soon. Once a get that my star will be able to really run on its own. (You will find a few great threads on how to automate the ).

Good luck with your star type sizer.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak1 View Post
    Magma will sell you one. I have a mr bullet feeder, i am currently using it to fill tubes. You will find another thread with the part numbers for cheep clear plastic aquarium tubes from linens and things (free shipping too). I remembered that thread from years back and found it, but the link no longer works and for the life of me, I can't find the plastic tubes on their website, not even the aquariums. I guess I don't think enough like a woman.:/ He should be shipping a nose down adaptor soon. Once a get that my star will be able to really run on its own. (You will find a few great threads on how to automate the ).

Good luck with your star type sizer. I don't think the Ballisti-Cast is anything like the Star in design, except it uses the same dies. That said, It wouldn't be real hard to automate it using air for the operating handle and wheel. Just have to notch the thumb wheels and tip the air cylinder rod with something that'll interact. Wouldn't be real hard to do for the guys that do that kinda thing. My volume doesn't demand that high an operation, so I'll stick with it as is.
    Do you perchance know how to find your way around the Linens and Things website and can get a new link?