Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Problems with APP pink

Boolit Man

Problems with APP pink

Just did my second batch with All Powder pink for my roommate with my Lee 312-155s. We went to size/seat checks and many of these had most of the powder scrape off the driving bands.

The only thing I changed with this batch is that I pressure cast these bullets. I'm thinking the pressure casting made them drop bigger. Odd part is the same bullets coated in PBTP Green came out fine. It seems the green has more elasticity, either that or it has something to do with the quality of the coat. The green tends to come out very smooth and somewhat thick where the pink is slightly thinner and textured.

Might have to size before coating for pink. What lubes do yall use to size bare bullets? Probably just going to start using the pink on a .309 NOE group buy mold I'm getting.

Boolit Master
    I can only speculate but I'm not convinced that pressure casting was the culprit. I'm just grasping for straws here but is there any chance the powder got moist from humidity in the air?

it sounds like your powder didn't fully cure. Moisture would lengthen cure time, and possibly mess with adhesion.

Boolit Man
    I thought that could be the culprit but I did a smash test on one and it seemed to come out fine. Granted I'm sure that test isn't the end all be all of PC success. Also don't think it got damp at all cuz it's still flowing like a fine dry powder, no clumping. Definitely will be doing some more experimentation to see if I can nail down the culprit. Could also be the "general rule" of darker colors sticking better than lighter colors.

Boolit Master
    Depending on your baking setup there is no guarantee that the oven temps were the same both times. These toaster ovens can be pretty cheaply made.

Boolit Man
    Pretty sure I had temps right as I had just done a 10 min check with a thermo right before throwing this batch in to get my temps dialed. I actually lucked out with my $13 Goodwill convection oven, it holds between 400-408 consistently (at least it has done that the 4 times I've checked it before a coating session), just the temp knob and the timer are off a bit. The batch of green right after came out just peachy. The only thing I can think of that I did wrong in the curing was perhaps not quite allowing enough time for preheating so it might have gotten pulled out at 9 to 9 1/2 minutes of full temp baking. The batch of green I did end up allowing 4 minutes instead of 3 for getting up to temp.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Sounds like it never reached the "flow" stage. I'd try mebbe baking longer and check the directions and make sure the temp is right too. I always bake 20 mins outright, but some folks go 10 and some go 20 after it starts to flow, so it varies greatly with boolit size, powder type, oven type, tray thickness..... any of this can affect how fast the boolits get hot and stay hot.
    It shouldn't look very grainy or textured, no matter what. (IMO).
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Man
    Interesting advice good sir. I will try 15 then 20 minutes the next time I bake some of this color up.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    It does sometimes take some experimentations. I use lots of powders where I just buy 3-5 oz offa somebody on Fleabay, just to try the color... and so I never know where it came from or recommended baking info. It is usually pretty easy to figure out with just a little trial & error though.
    Good luck!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Do you know which pink you bought? I have some coming in from APP. Maybe we can compare results. I bought the sassy pink.

Boolit Man
    Sassy pink is the one I got. My roommate loves the color and I'm going to teach her how to reload here soon and have her load up her bullets (under my supervision of course).

ok, I expect mine to arrive in 2-3 business days. I'll post my results with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CameraZOOM-20140508014914953.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	104834

Here is my first attempt at dry tumbling. For the APP Sassy Pink and Mirror Orange, I will in the future use the ES method. Still both had acceptable results with 1 coat including the smash test and acetone test.

The SD wet black was exceptional, and I will use it for most of my dry tumbling in the future. No need for a second coat.