WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1874 I.A.B. Sharps Reproduction

Boolit Mold

1874 I.A.B. Sharps Reproduction

Howdy!
    I'm a new member. Have recently acquired an I.A.B Sharps Reproduction in 45-70. I need some thoughts.
    Have a Lee .457, 350 grain, and 500 grain hollow point mold. Have cast a few bullets. 350 grain bullet is coming out .459-.460. I'm lubing with LLA. I have slugged the barrel and it's miking .4582 with a few, small tight spots. I'm thinking of loading the bullets as cast with 2400 powder. My alloy is one I put together over 25 years ago. Pure lead, WW, and some linotype. If I remember correctly, it tested out 17 or 18 BHN. Can't find my notes, so I'm working out of memory. I'd like your thoughts on over powder cotton wadding and possibly a card wad soaked in LLA. I'm not looking for hard kicking, max velocity loads. Something comfortable to shoot off a bench that groups nice at 50 and 100 yards would be good. I have no real experience with the 45-70. I've always loved the way it looks. The cartridge just looks serious. The rifle looks outstanding. Need to find out if it shoots good too. If I remember correctly, I.A.B. makes the action for Pedersoli. If you have knowledge about this I would appreciate it. Thanx for your thoughts and consideration.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    If I remember correctly, I.A.B. makes the action for Pedersoli. If you have knowledge about this I would appreciate it. Thanx for your thoughts and consideration.
    They don't.
    If you are going to use smokeless powder in that case, you should probably stay away from wads altogether.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Smokeless in the .45-70; forget the wads and the LLA. Make a batch of one of the Beewax/vegetable oil (peanut, canola, olive) with a tough of lanolin. 2400 will work but R7 is probably better. No expeerience with other smokeless propellants. 2fg black powder works best.

Boolit Master

IAB doesn't have the best reputation going. I had one. Oversize chamber and soft lock parts. The one I had said black powder only so I wouldn't try to hot rod it at all. I had a buddy got one the same time as me and got it shooting very well but he put a bunch of work into it. I'm not trying to rag on your choice, just hope you got a good one. I had another 45-70 that I shot smokeless in and it liked Unique and 405gr boolit with an over powder wad of Dacron. It was 14gr if I remember correctly, but check it against a manual.
    I'm with Dan BP is the way to go.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Mold

To tell the truth, I had never heard of I.A.B. Got it sort of on a whim. I don't have an arm and a leg involved. Mine does not say Black Powder Only. I have no desire to hot rod it. My older shoulder just won't take that stuff anymore. I've absorbed a lot of recoil in my time. Just looking for something fun to shoot with a friend that has a 45-70. I've consumed a lot of GO-EX in my career. I'm pretty much over BP. I doubt I would ever load to more than 1400fps. I have a friend that loads his Browning 1885 Hi-Wall or is it Lo-Wall with 2400 with cotton and a poly-ethylene wad to around that velocity.

Boolit Master
    They absolutely DO MOT make Pedersoli actions. There is a YouTube video of the Pedersoli factory. They make everything in house...from barrels to actions to wood. Some of the best cut rifle barrels on planet earth I might add....

Pedersoli DOES make the Uberti Sharps rifles...But they DO NOT make the I.A.B. rifle. I.A.B. makes their own rifles.
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Grand Master

Give it an honest chance, work up a load test and see what it will do. As others have stated 2f bp works very good in 45-70. There are some smoklesses that work very well also. experiment and have some fun. I would consider Blackhorn 209 as a place to start also. Test it with several diffrent loads ( always starting low and working up), document your results in a notebook and see what works and what dosnt.

Boolit Grand Master

Howdy Fox and Welcome to the place.
    I do not have one of those rifles but as in all rifles.. Check the throat diameter. If you do a "Search" here and type in "Throat diameter" you should get enough info to help you get started right.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Fox,
    I have a couple of 45-70s in different configurations, and am trying to learn bp with the help of these guys here, but my favorite smokeless load for my Shiloh is 48g IMR 3031 405 gr FN with no wadding. I think you will like it
    I don't have my notes with me at work for my loads for my nephew's trapdoor, but I think they are real close.
    Good luck

Boolit Buddy
    I do have an IBA sharps they are good looking rifles. First check head space mine would take .010 feeler between cartrige and breach block. Third shot went bang when I let go of the hammer (burs). They were assembled from contract parts and the ones I'm looking for are not available. I shimmed the block .008 and it shoots ok, but need to play with it more. It sure is pretty though. WW

Boolit Buddy

Fox,
    I don'tmean to rain on your parade but.....IAB stands for "It's Always Broke"!!!
    I had one several years ago.
    It looked gorgeous but would not hold up. Oversize chamber, soft lock work.
    If I were you I would get rid of it and buy a Pedersoli (sp) or Uberti, or if you can a Shiloh or C.Sharps.
    You won't be disappointed!
    Blkpwdrbuff

Super Moderator

.............The IAB Sharps do have a rather poor reputation, and mainly for inconsistent quality control. I would give yours a chance first. I bought one from EMF in So.California back in the mid 90's. The wood is exceedingly nice (color and figure) and the fit to the metal is nice. The color casehardening has that on my Pedersoli Sharps beat all to heck. I have NEVER had issues with any soft lock parts. However a shooting buddy of mine bought a browned IAB Sharps and it DID have soft lock parts, which was rapidly rectified under warranty. A shame that a new rifle would have a problem, but to be honest there it is.

I had a problem with mine however (inconsistent quality?) and that was the chamber. My gunsmith checked it out and declared it a 'Lawyer's chamber'. I had him re-chamber it to 45-90 and now it's a shooting essobee. Accuracy is as good or better then my Pedersoli Sharps 45-70 or 40-65 Rolling block. Using smokeless a 45-90 is a minus on the balance sheet as the larger case merely exacerbates the large capacity the 45-70 has with smokeless. However it isn't a major problem and it's ability to shoot so accurately proves the point.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

I've been happy with my IAB Sharps Creedmoor replica. It loves a 535 Postell over 37gr of Varget.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

Boolit Buddy
    I had one. I won't trash talk your gun but could. The first suggestion I have for you is if the double set triggers are functioning don't adjust them in any way. They are soft and a pure mess if you get into them. The cheapest replacement trigger set for these is at http://www.jeffsoutfitters.com/SHARP...&categoryid=74
    I carried mine around to a bunch of gun shows before I got rid of it. That was one of the happiest days of my life.
    Good luck to you.

Boolit Mold
    Look at Accurate 5744. A couple of guys who have won the Matthew Quigley match (and live here in Sheridan) recommended this powder to me, and I've been an advocate ever since I tried it. I don't use fillers, although you can use a little toilet paper wadding to hold the powder against the primer if you feel it will help your SD. I run my 525 grain slugs at 1280 fps, and that seems to be very close to what the top shooters are doing. I don't see much reason for more velocity in this cartridge, as it just churns up more wear and tear on the gun, brass, and shooter without appreciably flattening the trajectory or delivering tighter groups. Shoot your bullet as-cast and use a soft lube; DGL or SPG are great choices if you don't make your own. Neck tension has proven critical in my Sharps. I use a custom expander plug from Buffalo Arms...one of the most worthwhile twenties I've ever spent! Invest in a PAST recoil shield if you don't already have one, because although these big, heavy Sharps rifles don't recoil too much with modest loads, the steel buttplates do a great job of ensuring you feel every foot-pound of it. And get the best sights you can afford. MVA, Baldwin, Kelley...they all make excellent Soule rears and globe fronts. Don't scrimp or you'll curse the lack of repeatability you get with cheap vernier sights. And later, if you really get bit by the Sharps bug and decide to upgrade to a Shiloh, C Sharps, or even a Pedersoli, you can just get the appropriate base and put those sights on the new rifle.

Boolit Bub
    I have an original 1859 Sharps which was updated from a percussion to a centerfire around 1864 then got a barrel upgrade to a .45-100 around 1877 or so. I'm using 24 gr of H4198 over a 500 gr cast bullet (.459) using wheel weights. Speed is a lil bit over 1200 fps and she shoots 3/4 in at 50 yds., no kick. No leading. Forgot to add that I use a dacron filler. I buy it by the yard. It's approx a 1/4" thick and I cut it into 1"X1" squares. I lay the square over the top of the powder case mouth and push it down with a pencil.I push it all the way down to the powered then tap it lightly. As a side benefit if you;re testing loads and have to yank the bullet and powder charge when you pull the bullet the powder stays in the case until you pull the dacron out. No mess, no fuss.
    I'm just working up the load to use out to 600 yds for now. She looks like this although I've upgraded to a windage adjustable globe front sight with spirit level. I had to get a couple of machine screws made for the old vernier sights.

I hope this might be what you're looking for.
    Last edited by Lowpower; 06-28-2014 at 10:37 AM. Reason: forgot add i use a filler

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowpower View Post
    24 gr of H4198
    500 gr cast bullet
    dacron filler approx a 1/4" thick and I cut it into 1"X1" squares
    push it all the way down to the powder then tap it lightly
    when you pull the bullet the powder stays in the case until you pull the dacron out
    I have no experience with the phenomenon, but that looks exactly like the recipes I have read about which promote 'ringing the chamber'.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    I have no experience with the phenomenon, but that looks exactly like the recipes I have read about which promote 'ringing the chamber'.

CM
    Or even worse!!! Especially considering the fact (if I understood correctly) that this is an original rifle in which using smokeless can be risky.

Vendor Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lowpower
    24 gr of H4198
    500 gr cast bullet
    dacron filler approx a 1/4" thick and I cut it into 1"X1" squares
    push it all the way down to the powder then tap it lightly
    when you pull the bullet the powder stays in the case until you pull the dacron out
    __________________________________________________ ______________________

"push it all the way down to the powder then tap it lightly"

This is the exact reason Mike Venturino, writing for Lyman -Cast Bullet Handbook- latest addition no longer shows data with filler of any kind. I was curious and asked him about this. I would not want my private mail reproduced so I will not do that to Mike either, but I will post two lines he wrote;
    "Experienced and reasonably intelligent handloaders can use Dacron, kapok, etc. I did it for many years. Where the problem arises is when people think it necessary to tamp the filler down on top of the powder."

I use Dacron for some applications. The idea here is to hold the powder to the rear of the huge case with the least Dacron. You can not believe how little it takes. It is all air and a method when used correctly, like anything in loading your own should not be done, unless you know what you are doing. Why Dacron? Because it is 99%+ air.
    In the amount described above in blue, it is something very different, closer to a felt WAD. Exactly what is not what we are trying to do.

I see all kinds if things debated as if it, and the world were black and white. This is one of them. If you think a filler is dangerous, stupid or nuts; You should not use them. Knowledge IS power and in this case, knowing what to do and how, makes all the difference.
    Some people think any hand loading is dumb! Some people think owning guns is dangerous!
    Ain't America great? We still can make our own choices!

Michael Rix writing for Chill Wills Very sorry for going off topic!

Lowpower - that looks like a very nice rifle! Be careful. Be safe!
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 06-28-2014 at 05:06 PM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Bub
    Thank you, Micheal for Chill...

I guess I'm still running with old data. I've loaded and fired approx 100 rounds of two different powders
    5744 and 4198 in light loadings from 21 up to 24 gr. Prior to those loads I loaded up and shot 24 gr of 4198 behind 535 gr bullets. Everything shot fine. No real kick. No ringing. Accurate, too.

I will confess I was loading a very small ball of dacron into the early cases. I still pushed it down to the touch the powder but is was the size of a small marble and pretty loose. In fact, if I shook it I could move powder down the case.

A friend of mine who has been shooting .45-60 for years using 4198 and he suggested I up the dacron size to 1/2 X 1/2 in. I have shot them with no issues.

I prefer to shoot smokeless over black powder and have been working at keeping the pressures down to those of a trap door which I also have and have been shooting for a few years. My Trapdoor is an H&R Officers Model. No rings there either.

What amazes me is there really is no definitive answer to what may or may not be a ringing problem. You hear of it and I bet some folks may have experienced it but our club of 3k + members with many, many old shooters who have been shooting in places like Friendship, IN for years and years have not addressed these types of issues with any of our shooters and we usually have a small crowd of new and old shooters almost every week.

The only place I've ever heard of it is on the internet. I'm an old pheart and have been around shooting all my life and I've need heard of it until the last few months. I've kind of ignored it because I've never had any issue with my guns. I just called another friend and advised him to hold off loading for his Trapdoor he just bought so we can scratch our heads some.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast