MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lathe will set you free

Boolit Buddy

Lathe will set you free

Its an understatement to say we have some serious gun nuts here. Get yourself a lathe big enough for barrel work and have at it. There are enough books written on barrel fitting to sink a small fishing boat. Older manual lathes are not that expensive now and there are night courses to learn their use. You want a 358 winny you thread and chamber the barrel and screw it on. Be DanGed sure you understand headspace and do your homework. Frank C.

Boolit Grand Master

There are some few of us who have problems with that. I transpose numbers, I will dial a phone # wrong two or three times before I get it right while looking at it. Second, my wife told me years ago that I could not buy anything more for the kitchen unless I found a place to put it. Wanna guess what my garage looks liked?? I would have to move, and after 20 years here that idea is frightening.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I used to run a lathe at work. It was a J&L #2 Universal lathe. I loved running that machine. Just wish I had access to it now. I once used to make a sizing die to neck size 50 bmg fired brass, just so I could reseat a bullet in it, and make a dummy round. Used the lathe as a press.

They are truly a pleasure to run. I am lucky to be a home machinist with a pretty well equipped shop. If I see something I would like to have I just make it..

In Remembrance

I have a 1935 model "A" Southbend with treading attachment that I use quite a bit. I can cut a 5 ten thousands cut with it if I am careful. .001 is easy.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Grand Master

I have no idea what you are talking about.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    In college, I learned on old lend/lease surplus LeBlond lathes. They were such a pleasure to work on and learn the different aspects of machining on one. We also had lend/lease vertical and horizontal mills and surface grinders. I majored in Industrial Education - metalworking and taught for a few years. I am a firm believer that anyone who "wants" to learn, "can". There should be lots of good machining courses at such places as community colleges - if you have the desire - get your feet wet. There are lots of good used lathes out there as well. I have passed on many of them over the years as I just didn't have the place to put them.

A lot of younger folks are "hung up" on the new technologies - which is understandable. However, like any craft, you need to learn the "basics" of machining first. While a lathe or a mill might not be "up to snuff" in regards to digital readings, etc. - fine work can be done on a old lathe or mill that may be 75 or a 100 years old - if you set you mind to do precision work.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Do it by hand so you can honestly say I machined this, not some computer did it.
    Preacher Jim

Boolit Master
    "Metal Turning is Knitting for Men!"
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Master
    Problem is it ends up kind of like this firearm thing. I have a 48 over 8, well a little one sure would be cool for the little stuff. Yes it is a Chinese mill, but the price is too good and its hardly been run. I think I must have those quick change heads. I need some more carbides. 2 flute, 4 flute, collet sets. Man those boring bars are cool, wait a minute I do not have a knurling head set. I think I need a another mill vise, and I need an angle one also. The STUFF takes up more room than the tools now. All the wife repeats is she hopes I go last.

I NEED one... I've been sayin' that for years...

Boolit Master
    South Bend Heavy 10 inch tucked away in the back of my shop. It dates from 1942 so it was used for war production and has a little wear. I'm not good enough with it to do barrel work but it is nice to have around for model cannon turning.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I know..................I have 5 of them!

A metal lathe..............the only shop tool that can make parts for itself!

bangerjim

Boolit Master

Buying a lathe is merely the down payment, but worth it. Good tooling needed gets expensive real quick and will quickly be more than what you paid for the lathe.

I don't yet have the desire or need for a large lathe and am satisfied with my Chi-Com mini lathe as this allows me to fabricate the small pieces for my reloading and sizing tools.

Space is a consideration for me but if the empty lot behind my house becomes mine a workshop will be built. I have made a number of offers to the owner but he wants way more than it's worth. I am patient as I know he can't afford to build and the property tax is eating him.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Bub

I have two lathes and a mill and lacking a lot of knowledge to run them. I make my own sizing dies for a Herters lubicater and i made a couple of check makers. I would like to make my boolit sizing dies like lee's but I cain't seem to get it right with a boring bar. 'm thinking about adjustiable reamers. advice needed JerryL

If you want one, then get it, learn to use it and the fun and "things" will come. 8 years ago I got one and wise I had gotten one much much sooner. As said, the tooling is where the $$$ are.

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

I honestly wish I could afford one, and have room for one. I want a drill press lathe and a mill. Wifey won't let me cause literally have no room! Some day....
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

A lathe and end mill are on the list of tools I will buy when I build a shop in the basement of my garage. I don't know how to use either at the moment. But I can learn from books easily, learn quickly and I'm sure there are videos on YouTube explaining things. The local community college offers machining courses every semester. I can't make them because they start before I get home from my job

If I ever get the money, I'd have a dedicated shop containing a good manual lathe, vertical mill, and a shaper (cool old school machine). Never got to use a shaper much, but it's a tool that could do a lot of things in the right hands. A DRO is nice, but I learned on the old manual tools, and they're still good enough for me (especially when you set up your dial indicator correctly).
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

Boolit Buddy
    Hello. A lathe is handy as a pocket if you tinker with reloading stuff,guns or anything that needs fixin'. Buy the best you can afford,and when a bargain comes along be ready to upgrade,someone will want your old machine.

There are countless videos on youtube that has very good info on operation,tool sharpening ect. Most of what little I know of machine operation came from there. A lathe is one of my favorite toys!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast