Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem cooking Barley?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    I make beef/vegetable soup and use the Pearl Barley that others are referring to here. A little more cooking time. I usually cook mine seperate and then add it to the soup. Really nothing like it on a cold, blustery night. I also have used it with a little butter and raw honey for a breakfast food. This is the food of the Roman Legions. Barley, especially sprouted barley, was a large part of their diet in the earlier years. Later years, it was wheat. The Roman Legions had guys retiring at 55 and living 20-30 years more in the provinces. They ate healthy, barley had a role. Just saying.
    Hi gbrown, I just found out some of those things in searching about it, you're absolutely right! I actually didn't know the health aspect of it when I started this post, I just liked it a lot. Amazing stuff!

I talked to the manager of my local Food Lion grocery store and she is having some Pearl Barley ordered in and stocked on the shelves. This will be great because I won't have to pay those rediculious delivery charges from Bobs Red mill and have to order so much, Problem Solved.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    Hi gbrown, I just found out some of those things in searching about it, you're absolutely right! I actually didn't know the health aspect of it when I started this post, I just liked it a lot. Amazing stuff!

I talked to the manager of my local Food Lion grocery store and she is having some Pearl Barley ordered in and stocked on the shelves. This will be great because I won't have to pay those rediculious delivery charges from Bobs Red mill and have to order so much, Problem Solved.
    Glad to hear. I don't eat that much of it, keep the dried stuff I'm not using in an old plastic coffee can in the freezer. I'm the only one that eats it around here. Another way I like it is in the morning, just like oatmeal. Little milk and butter along with some honey and it is good to go.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Always figure 1 cup of Pearl Barley to 2 cups of liquid ( that will dry the 2 cups of liquid up in 1 hour cooking time in your soup remember to have more in your stock other wise it will be stew or worst paste!.
    I make a lot of Indian and Thai curries & I will use Barley for the starch in the meal but doing that I'm running a fine line of how thick I can get it and still serve it the next day::::: this cooking C***p is a hard as mixing a good alloy : it takes patience and experience & it sounds like you are on a good start!
    Jim
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

You can also try some of the "Organic/Farmer Market" type stores such as Sprouts/WholeFoods/Henry's Market. They often have it in the Serve yourself Bulk Bins much cheaper than what is pre-packaged at the store. I needed to buy some in a pinch recently and about threw the idea out when I saw what they want for a 1lb bag...I had run out of the bulk and didn't know it.

I base it on how much meat I am adding, 1/4 cup of Pearl Barley per pound of meat.
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

Moderator Emeritus

In a soup I use about a cup of barley to 8 cups liquid. That makes for a fairly thick soup.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys, now all I ned is the pearl Barley.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12