MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem cooking Barley?

Boolit Master

Problem cooking Barley?

I really like having Barley in my soup when I buy Progresso are Cambells canned soup. So I decided to add it to my own home made soup.

However when I do instead of becoming those great barley cournels you see in your commercial soups, mine turns into a "SLUDGE" at the bottom of the pot!

Using Fresh Quaker Oats brand.

What in the heck am I doing wrong?

I cook my vegetable beef soup low & slow for about 3 hours and it's really fantstic, except for the barley.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I would add the barley ( Rinsed) 1 to 1.5 hour before finished You are over cooking it. I'm not familiar with the Quaker oats brand Check to make sure it hasn't been quick processed first.... In that case it may only need 1/2 hour in the soup
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

If they are the Quaker brand and it says quick , or quick cooking, they only require 10 mins. of cooking. I am thinking 3 hours just cooks them too much and they fall apart. Follow the cooking time on the package and it should be better. I think the quick cooking are partially cooked then dried and processed so that 10 min. is all that's needed...not quite instant but almost.
    Gary

Boolit Master

I think you have to size each kernel in a special Redding die before cooking to get them to not mush up like that.

In soup, you should be using Pearl Barley, not rolled oats.

Oats is oats, and barley is barley.

Boolit Master
    Norbrat he is probably using this
    http://www.quakeroats.com/products/m...um-barley.aspx
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

I cooked up about 11lbs of barley yesterday.
    Then I added some yeast and I will be drinking the "soup" (I call it beer) in about 3 weeks.

Boolit Master

I use pearl barley. Take about 1.5 to 2 hours to get tender in a simmering soup. When adding barley, A little goes a long way. Too much and you can eat your soup with a fork.
    Every shot you get in life counts

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    We buy our Pearl Barley in 1 Lb.Cello Packages from the Beans/Lentils/Rice section of grocery stores hearabouts...Never had t cook to mush,so I figure SWMBO has the drill figured..We use a LOT of it in scratch made soups and stews....
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Moderator Emeritus

I make a breakfast with whole wheat, pearl barley, coconut and raisins. I fill a small plastic thermos with boiling water for 60 sec to preheat, then add 1/2 cup of the mix and fill with 2 cups of boiling water. It can sit all night in a cold tent and be ready to eat in the morning. Pearl barley stands up well to long cook times.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Quote Originally Posted by onceabull View Post
    We buy our Pearl Barley in 1 Lb.Cello Packages from the Beans/Lentils/Rice section of grocery stores hearabouts...Never had t cook to mush,so I figure SWMBO has the drill figured..We use a LOT of it in scratch made soups and stews....
    Yes that is what we use also. Pearl barley is what you want
    An ox tail or some beef marrow bones in the stock make for some hearty eating soup!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    I think you have to size each kernel in a special Redding die before cooking to get them to not mush up like that.
    Sheesh!!! Now you tell me, I just knew that Lyman die had something to do with it, LOLAL.

Norbrat, I didn't have the box, just checked, must have used them all up. However you may be right I think. They were in flakes like oatmeal and I don't remember anything about them being/saying "Pearl", it did say oats though. So I guess in this case it wasn"t the product it was a lack of knowledge on my part and that darn Lyman die!!

After reading the whole post (like I should have done) I think what I want is NOT a quick type of cooking barley. Is there a preferred Brand?

Next time to the grocery store I'll get some "Pearl Barley" is this correct? It probably wouldn't hurt to follow the directions also.
    I just thought at the time those flakes would swell up into barley and cooking time wasn't an issue since Progresso and Campbells cook there soups in BIG pressure type cookers.
    Thanks very much Norbrat for solving 99.9% of my problem.
    Last edited by Changeling; 04-29-2014 at 02:16 PM. Reason: More questions.

You gotta remember oats and barley are two different grains.

Oats for human consumption is almost always sold as flaked, either whole or slightly chopped for quicker cooking. Makes great porridge, but no good in soup.

Barley can also be bought flaked, which seems to be most used in beer brewing, but for soup, Pearl Barley is what you want.

Moderator Emeritus

I always add to much barley, end up with more of a stew than a soup. Healthy eating though.

Boolit Grand Master
    It will also continue to swell up in the soup. put it in near the end.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy

Barley intended for brewing is almost always "malted", allowed to sprout under controlled conditions. This starts to change some of the starches into sugars, and develops enzymes that aid this process. "Flaked" or rolled grains are precooked and processed between rollers to flatten the grains, looking more like oatmeal or cornflakes than grain.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    First time I used Barley it didn't look like I had enough so I added more mistake , came out in a brick .

Boolit Master
    Well, I have been to 2 local grocery stores and couldn't find it, so I am going to order some from "Bobs Red MIll".

Why they don't carry it is anyones guess. All I can find is Quaker brand, quick oats in 1,000 different flavors, or the stuff I got that was called pearl barley, but like oatmeal.
    My thanks to all for the Barley education, I really appreciate it. Without your help I would probably have bought several more box's of the wrong stuff.

Moderator Emeritus

Pearl Barley is what you want... comes in fast cooking and regular.

Boolit Master

I make beef/vegetable soup and use the Pearl Barley that others are referring to here. A little more cooking time. I usually cook mine seperate and then add it to the soup. Really nothing like it on a cold, blustery night. I also have used it with a little butter and raw honey for a breakfast food. This is the food of the Roman Legions. Barley, especially sprouted barley, was a large part of their diet in the earlier years. Later years, it was wheat. The Roman Legions had guys retiring at 55 and living 20-30 years more in the provinces. They ate healthy, barley had a role. Just saying.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast