MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone ever a really accurate 9mm load with cast bullets?

Boolit Grand Master
    When I can get them in the black of an NRA 50' B-2 or B-3 target I am thrilled. There are always the humbling flyers. My vision isn't what it used to be either.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    There are always the humbling flyers. My vision isn't what it used to be either.
    SHiloh
    I hear that for sure. My new glasses have helped though.

Le Loup Solitaire
    Jaylay1, A number of other forum members have helped out with the discussion and their advice is good. A lot of 9mm shooters like to go faster than 1000fps and I don't believe that is necessary to get good grouping. It also works the gun harder and generates more recoil which is not a friend of target shooting. I worked with 4756 because it filled the case @4.8 grains, generated lower pressure and did well. It also discourages any appreciable setback of the bullet which would, (even a small amount), in the 9mm case, cause a large change in pressure,that would effect accuracy. Other powders that will work well in the 9mm are; 700X, Bullseye, and Red Dot. I have used these with success. There are others...you can check with a good loading manual to find them and choose what else you might prefer to work with. Cast bullets...especially in 9mm will do better if they have a good bearing surface to grip the rifling and are less inclined to "tip" in the bore. Uniformity of components is important; for target grade work I have weighed the bullets and kept the weight as close as possible for the bullets I choose to go to shoot target with. Some shooters disagree with that concept...its a choice therefore that you have to make, especially if the pistol you are using may not be a target grade gun or one that has not been accurized. As I said in my previous post, most 9mm pistols currently produced (stock) are not usually made for target work, especially military/combat models....some will shoot better than others of course, but tight grouping is an exception-rare and not a rule. I have never been able to determine if round nose cast bullets shoot more accurately than conical or truncated nose bullets, but the CN and TN's do cut cleaner holes than the RN's for scoring purposes. I hope that this additional info has also been of some use to you. Je vous remercie pour vos gentiles commentaires and vos meilleures voeux. Bien a vous aussi. LLS

Boolit Master

I just fired this with my Highpower at 25 yards today.

Load details: Sorted cases (same headstamp), CCI 500 primers, Winchester 231 powder and the 125 grain RCBS truncated cone boolit.

Ballistic details: 1,020 fps and an SD of 6.3 for 10 shots and a 2" 10 shot group on target.

Not a group from a Sig 510, but I'll take it. The zero for this HP is for JHPs and the load shown shoots a bit to the left. Point of aim was center of the bull.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 05-01-2014 at 01:37 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master
    Very nice. Both the group and the pistol.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

Hipowers will shoot! Mine was the most accurate box stock pistol of the 3 that I owned. Nice shooting!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Loup Solitaire View Post
    I hope that this additional info has also been of some use to you. Je vous remercie pour vos gentiles commentaires and vos meilleures voeux. Bien a vous aussi. LLS
    Oh yes, it is really.

Tu as tres polie et gentil aussie!
    Au royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois.

As tu francais, mon ami?

I will try my very best.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetzer View Post
    I just fired this with my Highpower at 25 yards today.

Load details: Sorted cases (same headstamp), CCI 500 primers, Winchester 231 powder and the 125 grain RCBS truncated cone boolit.

Ballistic details: 1,020 fps and an SD of 6.3 for 10 shots and a 2" 10 shot group on target.

Not a group from a Sig 510, but I'll take it. The zero for this HP is for JHPs and the load shown shoots a bit to the left. Point of aim was center of the bull.

Thanks for you datas and the pic.
    Very good group, where I am far away with my cast boolits.

I try some tomorrow.

By the way, the "r" at the end is too much.
    "Scharfschütze" would be correct.

Boolit Grand Master

Over the years in the military and LE work I've shot numerous different cast bullets in many different 9mms. As mentioned in an earlier post most military and commercial 9mm's are not made for target accuracy. A few models are capable such as Scharfschuetzer's commercial High Power, many CZs and some commercial models set up for competition. Over all I've found the Lyman 356402, the 356634, the RCBS 9mm-124-CN (the bullet Sharfschuetzer used) and the Lee 356-120-TC to give the most consistently best accuracy across the board. I prefer Bullseye at 4 gr under any of these bullets. I would not turn down using a similar load of 231 or WST as those powders provide the same level of consistent accuracy. I most often cast the Lee bullet these days because I have a 6 cavity mould. I cast of of ternary alloy with a BHN of 12 - 15 most often and let the bullets AC and age harden for 7 -10 days. I size at .357 or .358 (mostly .358 for my CZ75) and lube with BAC.

I have to say that short of special built competition models the CZ75 and commercial Browning High Powers always were the most accurate.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

Larry,

I'll bring a 9mm M9 with me for the "Desert Classic Rock Shoot 2014" in a few weeks.

Jayjay1,

Do you recognize this club near Stuttgart? I've shot some 9mm there. Oh and yes, "Du hast Recht!"
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Sure I do know Sindelfingen, that´s nearby Stuttgart.

I live in the same country Baden-Württemberg, but a little bit to the south, near to France and Switzerland.
    Have you ever heard about Freiburg / Black Forest?

That´s where I do come from.

Have you been in the Army over here?

Boolit Master
    I like the Lee 356-120tc the standard lube groove mine drops right about .358 to .359 i just tumble lube in liquid alox 2 coats and load my load is 4.5 gr power pistol and it works nicely my brass is all range pick up mostly , I am not trying for great distance but 10 yards i do alright

no one thought a sub compact 9mm was a squirrel gun either but it works fine when they are making targets of them selves

Boolit Master

Jayjay1,

Yes I know Freiburg and the Schwarzwald. I have a cousin currently in a doctorate program at the university there.

I hope to make it back to Germany in a year or so and I always visit the Stuttgart area as I have a few friends still with the US Army there as well as a cousin who is a designer for Mercedes Benz. If I do, I hope that we can get together. It would be a good reason to get down to Freiburg and have a cup of coffee with you.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 05-02-2014 at 07:44 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master

Scharfschuetzer

Got quite a bit of 9mm loaded (oops.....shouldn't be telling you that) but will cast up a bunch more bullets. Still got lots of brass and the Dillon is easy to set up. If you find some SP primers for a "reasonable" price along the way give me a call as I need some. Been a dry spring this year so many new rocks have formed up. They still haven't gotten PAVN or East German advisors so their tactics suck.....should be some good shooting

I've a bottle of "Gibson's Finest" but am short on "Tangle Ridge".....hint.....hint.....

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

I'm in a 9mm loading frenzy right now with the Dillon press, so I'm probably going to have to trade in my 1/2 ton truck for a 3/4 ton truck to haul all the 9mm, 38, Ought-Six and 45/70 ammo down.

I'll check the Class VI store at the base for the Tangle Ridge, but as long as you've got that Gibson's finest on tap, I'll bring some primers!
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like a grand schutzenfest (spelling is probably wrong but I don't sprekenzi.....love the food though) in the making

Larry Gibson

Boolit Bub
    I use 125gr pc lead over a load of 4.0 red dot powder which is very good. I have also came up with a load with titewad. 125 gr pc over 3.2 gr of titewad is a good load for me. Both loads out of my 9mm c9 hi point puts them in a 5 inch circle at 25 yards.

Boolit Master
    Heureka!

Well, dear gentlemen, I think I made it!

Tried two new loads today with boolits sized with my new and bigger sizer die.
    Bullets come out with .3575" now, Acc. 2 and some Green Dot did the rest.

I´ve shot groups with roundabout 2,5-3" at 25meters.

That´s pretty good for my CZ Shadow.

I´m a happy man today.

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay1 View Post
    Heureka!

Well, dear gentlemen, I think I made it!

Tried two new loads today with boolits sized with my new and bigger sizer die.
    Bullets come out with .3575" now, Acc. 2 and some Green Dot did the rest.

I´ve shot groups with roundabout 2,5-3" at 25meters.

That´s pretty good for my CZ Shadow.

I´m a happy man today.
    Good work. I love hearing success stories.

Boolit Master

Good news Jayjay1. I've also enjoyed some success with Green Dot in the 9mm.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast