RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting lead?

Boolit Buddy
    air chisel worked great for me

Boolit Master
    Do you have a radial arm saw, circular saw, of table saw? I believe getting a metal cutting blade for one would work. I have a metal cutting circular saw and its blade cuts steel up to an inch almost like wood. No dust just lots of chips. Might also try one of the above with a regular blade installed backwards like sheet metal workers use. It cuts by friction, teeth are almost irrelevant.

Boolit Master
    I've run slabs of lead through my bandsaw which is set up with a metal cutting blade. Works OK but throws a lot of chips and the saw got a little plugged up. Had to cut some hard wood like oak to knock the lead out of the teeth.

I just run it through the bandsaw with a wood cutting blade. Like butter.
    "If you make listening and observation your occupation you will gain much more than you can by talk.." --Lord Robert Baden-Powell

I had some pipe and bars in the last lot of lead I bought from the scrap yard, so I just used an old axe to chop through it - rough, but effective (I'm very wary of using power saws to cut lead as they have a tendency to jam/catch).

Boolit Master

Got my son in law to cut my lead pipe up. The only problem with is he didn't same any of the chips, oh well it was free labor.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Wood blades work for me on a circular saw inside a large box to contain the chips. Of course I have not had to cut anything larger than a 50# pig so far.

A few years back I was told of a lead table and stools I was going to carry by chainsaw along for as well as a trailer to carry 10K at a time. The stools were supposed to be 2' blocks times 8 and did not get the dimensions. 350 miles each way and hope it pans out one day. It was a foundry table I was told the workers poured for break time.

Chain saws and sawzall work great.
    Life's hard, even harder if your stupid.

Boolit Master
    If you have a large propane weed burner, that will melt it to just run off like water. Let the pieces cool, then roll them up like paper and put it into your pot.