Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Chrono?

Which Chrono?

I'm new to reloading and casting. I am also a new IPSC shooter. For now I plan to run factory ammo at matches but eventually plan to reload for competition. As such I need to get a chronograph to ensure my loads are making power factor to shoot. I've never used a chrono outside of paintball competitions and have no idea what to get. Can anyone make any suggestions? I'm not afraid to spend a bit more to get the quality that will last but don't need any aerospace tech either. Just a solid, reliable chrono that will be accurate.

Thanks,

Kraken Fan #69

Boolit Master

I have been using a Chrony F1 for more years than I can remember. It is not fancy but, it tells me all I need to know.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I have a CED M2. I don't like shooting at my electronics. It's been reliable, stable and reapeatable. Not the cheapest; not the most expensive. Some nice features beyond the basics. I really like the PF calculator that's built in, along with the PC interface. Replacement screens are inexpensive, and there's a whole range of accessories. I'd get one again.

Galena Guru

nother F1 here , and it can be upgraded thru several levels to "real fancy schmancy" at not unreasonable cost
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

Boolit Master

I have the Competition Electronics ProChrono. It records up to 9 strings of shots and as been going a good job for me for many years. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/852...al-chronograph

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

I use a Master Chrony Beta.........tells you about everything you need...can find on sale sometimes at Midway...lots of after market add ons if you want, from Chrony...very reliable and accurate
    HTH....Pistol Pete

Boolit Master
    Here's a vote to look at the Oehler 35P
    Bob

Banned
    Whichever Chronograph you get, be sure to only get one.

A man with one watch knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never quite sure.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Whichever Chronograph you get, be sure to only get one.

A man with one watch knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never quite sure.
    Good advice, my buddy and I set up our Chrony's one behind the other. Sometimes they agreed other times they differed by 50+ fps. So we don't know which to believe or even if we should believe either one. One manufacturer (I think Ohler) uses 3 sensors I think it would be the one I would choose the next time I buy a chrono.

Galena Guru

yep Oehler use three screens in the 35 I believe , not sure about the other models

there was one they had (maybe still do) I always lusted after , allowed you to hook a sensor to the receiver and measure pressure
    Schamankungulo

GMCS USN ret.

Here you get what you pay for as well, the Oehler 35 is the ultimate, the CED M2 is also a very good instrument.
    Very important here is to put the sensors in a box with artificial lighting as to ensure constant light above the sensors at all times.

Boolit Master

I have a PACT that has been in use for 12 years with never a problem. The brain box is separate from the eyes and screens and gives ES, SD, Velocity and more.

Larry

I got the red master chrony, and built it in a box with LED lighting. That makes me independent from weather and sunlight, and shields off the flickering of electric lights. It's a good tool, after you got that one button interface for the first time.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
    - Evely Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.

I have a Magnetospeed, and have been happy with it. It is not ideal for handgun use, but you can work around the minor issues
    that come up with handguns.

I think the new Lab Radar might be the answer , if it actually works as claimed.

Bob

Galena Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Fyodor View Post
    I got the red master chrony, and built it in a box with LED lighting. That makes me independent from weather and sunlight, and shields off the flickering of electric lights. It's a good tool, after you got that one button interface for the first time.
    pics my man pics
    Schamankungulo

GMCS USN ret.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BRobertson View Post
    I think the new Lab Radar might be the answer , if it actually works as claimed.
    Well I signed up for info on that device. My only concern is the one year warranty. I'm assuming it's going to be $500+ based on what it is. A five year warranty would put my mind at ease.

Banned

Boolit Buddy
    What guns are you shooting? Are you shooting inside or out? Are you shooting in your backyard or at the range?

Quote Originally Posted by HollandNut View Post
    pics my man pics
    You're welcome.

The red LED lights are powered by four AA cells and are fixed to the ceiling of the box.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
    - Evely Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.

Fyodor, very neat setup, at least you have constant lighting here which should give you very good repeatability on your measurements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast