MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

View Poll Results: Sell the Star or the Ballisti-Cast Lube Sizer?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sell the Star luber sizer

5 38.46%
  • Sell the Ballisti-Cast luber sizer

8 61.54%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you had to sell one, which one would you sell?

Banned
    Attachment 103555
    Picture of the turret feeder

I seem to have two pictures showing and I cannot get rid of the bullet picture
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 04-30-2014 at 06:46 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    They are both great machines. I personally prefer the Ballisti-Cast, for the reasons already discussed. But either will do a top notch job, and I think most folks would be delighted with either. The way they work is simply so much faster and easier than other types of systems.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga;
    Attachment 103555
    Picture of the turret feeder
    Did you make that or buy it somewhere? I really like that and want one with a couple of tube sizes.

I have one of those and found it doesn't work as well as single tubes with approximately 50 to 60 bullets per tube. I bought mine from a gentleman in Yucca Valley, CA, who makes several parts for the Star sizers. I kind of wish I'd saved my money and purchased more tubes for the bullet feeder instead.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

6bg6ga, in red again in the quote:

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Dave,

I wouldn't be talking praise in the case of the MArkVI unless I believed it 100%. I'm sure that Ssnow feels the same way. Knowing you guys have had them since the group buy and all sure helped me make the decision. A lot of folks wanted me to sell the Mark VI, saying they would keep the Star. Reverse logic, but between knowing the Mark VI is tough and knowing the popularity of the Star made it easy to decide to sell my Star. Knowing dragon, a long time member here, wanted one, made it an easy decision. He'll be happy with the Star and I'll be able to accomplish the multiple things I want/need to do without messing with the family budget.

If I were you I would seriously give them a call back and mention the paint and the problems and have everything fixed. You paid good money for it so you need to have what you paid for. I did call and spoke with Keith and decided to correct the bushing issue myself (fairly easy to do with the lapping compounds and craytex dremel wheels I have), then go back to Keith and ask for a price break on a couple items I'm going to need. Since they didn't have to take up manufacturing time fixing a warranty issue, I'm sure they'll be amenable. Saved me the bother of downtime and shipping. Machine is back together and smooth as glass now.

With respect to speed.... with the turret assembly I had on my Mark VI it would size and lube faster given an equal quantity of bullets than the Star/Magma did with the bullet feeder. I simply turned the turret and I had an additional 25 bullets to size. At the time I fitted the Star/Magma with an extremely long tube that held the same amout of bullets. Do you still have the turret assembly or did you quit using it? I'm quite interested in adding a turret type assembly or perhaps either a longer tube or bullet feeder. Right now I'm looking at modifying parts of a Lee bullet feeder, but think there may be better options out there I don't know about, since I've been away from the board for a couple years. The pic you show looks very interesting to me, where did you get that unit and are you still using it or did you replace it with something more advanced?

Fred, in red in the quote:

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    I have one of those and found it doesn't work as well as single tubes with approximately 50 to 60 bullets per tube. There used to be a place you could buy plastic tubes the right size for bullet feeders for progressive presses online. I lost that information when I was taking care of my Dad. Do you know of a source for some fairly long plastic tubes that fit the "common" calibers (.380ACP, .38/357, .45ACP, .308, etc.) I'm thinking some kind of plastic might do the job to help out.

I bought mine from a gentleman in Yucca Valley, CA, who makes several parts for the Star sizers. I kind of wish I'd saved my money and purchased more tubes for the bullet feeder instead. What tubes were available for the bullet feeder besides those short factory ones? Yes, I'm probably being obsessive, it's late and I'm in that weird sleep/mental state I get in when trying to go back to day time hours from night shift.

Hope this helps. It does, as I'm trying to figure out the best way to set up to run 200-500 bullets through the sizer at a sitting without having to load any more tubes or anything while holding down costs.

Fred

Boolit Master

I don't see how the 4 tube turret will save any time in the long run. You either put four tubes on the feeder one at a time or you put four tubes on the turret and turn it as you need more bullets. Seems like a wash to me. but what do I know, I only cast and sell a few thousand bullets a week. Kinda like filling up a bunch of primer tubes for your Dillon and them doing a big batch. It doesn't speed things up, just makes it so you can more of one thing at a time. But you still have to fill the tubes. As far leverage, I can still size a .454 bullet down to .429 without bending/ breaking anything on my Stars. If you can't size down a bullet 3-5 thou then you just need to lube it a bit. Getting a bigger hammer isn't always the answer, sometimes a little finesse goes a long way. I had wanted to get a B/C during the original GB but missed it. I waited 2 years for them to repeat the offer to us as we waited patiently for them to resolve their problems, but the last I talked to them they wanted over 650.00 for sizer, and that's with no heater, dies or speed handle. No thanks, that's why I went with the Star in the first place years ago, just a better deal. That's also why I voted sell the B/C, keep the Star.

Boolit Grand Master

The MKVI costs $700 fully loaded. It comes out cheaper than a Star at the moment. Looks like I will have a Star in my possession next week so it's time to order parts to make it run entirely on air. Sizing kills my elbows so the less I have to pull a handle the better.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    I don't see how the 4 tube turret will save any time in the long run. You either put four tubes on the feeder one at a time or you put four tubes on the turret and turn it as you need more bullets. Seems like a wash to me. but what do I know, I only cast and sell a few thousand bullets a week. Kinda like filling up a bunch of primer tubes for your Dillon and them doing a big batch. It doesn't speed things up, just makes it so you can more of one thing at a time. But you still have to fill the tubes. As far leverage, I can still size a .454 bullet down to .429 without bending/ breaking anything on my Stars. If you can't size down a bullet 3-5 thou then you just need to lube it a bit. Getting a bigger hammer isn't always the answer, sometimes a little finesse goes a long way. I had wanted to get a B/C during the original GB but missed it. I waited 2 years for them to repeat the offer to us as we waited patiently for them to resolve their problems, but the last I talked to them they wanted over 650.00 for sizer, and that's with no heater, dies or speed handle. No thanks, that's why I went with the Star in the first place years ago, just a better deal. That's also why I voted sell the B/C, keep the Star.

So, if I understand your post correctly you waited two years or more for Ballisti-cast to repeat their group buy purchase. You don't own one? Then why did you jump in with both feet into this thread?

You can size a bullet from .454 to .429? I'm waiting for your video on this one.

This thread should have specified that ONLY people owning or having owned both machines need reply to it and then we wouldn't have posts like yours. (Just my opinion here)

Dave, I can send you diagrams of the bullet tube assembly. I use it the following way... I load up single tubes and pull the pin on the tubes to load the feed tubes. It depends how you make it if it jams or feeds correctly. Mine is a copy of a design out there and if works fine with anything from 125gr 357's to 255 gr 45 bullets. The reason I went with a turret is I was tired of having a tube of bullets tip over and spill. I guess you use what you consider to work the best for you. Telling someone its a waste of time and or money as it didn't work for you may not be the best answer. There is absolutely no difference in the one I made and having a single long bullet tubes with the exception that it doesn't tip over and two with a turn of the turret another tube of bullets is ready to be sized.

Comment on the Mark VI feed wheel....

When using a 45 cal wheel one can make a insert to fit the existing hole to allow sizing of 38 caliber bullets. The same technology I used with my Star with the bullet feeder.
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 05-01-2014 at 07:22 AM.

Banned
    Attachment 103673

plastic tubing with an internal of .400 and external of aprox .475 will fit in the bullet wheel or the star bullet feeder with the 45 cal feed.

6bg6ga, in red in the quote again:

This thread should have specified that ONLY people owning or having owned both machines need reply to it and then we wouldn't have posts like yours. (Just my opinion here) Actually, I did ask that those that have used BOTH to comment and vote. Those that have and do own or have used both have put out the most useful commentary by far certainly and have avoided the green/blue(silver) argument type stuff.

Dave, I can send you diagrams of the bullet tube assembly. I'd love to see them and more pictures, if you have them. I don't have machines to make the parts, unless they're fairly simple, but I'm pretty good about finding someone to do the things I can't do due to lack of metal forming machinery.

I use it the following way... I load up single tubes and pull the pin on the tubes to load the feed tubes. It depends how you make it if it jams or feeds correctly. Mine is a copy of a design out there and if works fine with anything from 125gr 357's to 255 gr 45 bullets. It sounds good. Love to hear what sortof single tubes with pins you have, where you got them and that sort of thing. I'm pretty good at tuning things to get them to work, but I'm not real big on reinventing the wheel. I feel, when someone else has done a good job already, I'd rather copy their idea if their okay with that sort of flattery.

Comment on the Mark VI feed wheel....

When using a 45 cal wheel one can make a insert to fit the existing hole to allow sizing of 38 caliber bullets. The same technology I used with my Star with the bullet feeder. Please do tell me more. What did you use to make the insert? Plastic tubing? Metal? I have two wheels now for my Mk VI, one is a .25 caliber size and one is .308. Adding a .45 to take care of .45 and .38/357 would be great and cheaper too.
    Thank you for the information,

Dave

Boolit Buddy

Attachment 103673

plastic tubing with an internal of .400 and external of aprox .475 will fit in the bullet wheel or the star bullet feeder with the 45 cal feed.
    The attachment isn't loading.

Springfield, in red in the quote:

I don't see how the 4 tube turret will save any time in the long run. It probably doesn't. What it does do is allow you to get setup for a run on the sizer without constantly being distracted by loading bullets into the short original tubes. It also has a very slight advantage over a single tube in that it's very slightly faster to rotate the turret and align another tube than it is to pull a tube, insert a fresh tube and pull a pin.

You either put four tubes on the feeder one at a time or you put four tubes on the turret and turn it as you need more bullets. Seems like a wash to me. but what do I know, I only cast and sell a few thousand bullets a week. Have you tried using a turret setup vs. single tubes? I have, on a progressive press. The turret was more convenient, though not tons more convenient.

Kinda like filling up a bunch of primer tubes for your Dillon and them doing a big batch. It doesn't speed things up, just makes it so you can more of one thing at a time. But you still have to fill the tubes. True, but there's more than one way of filling larger tubes or several tubes than there is of filling the original short factory tube and it's a better process than the constant distraction of keeping the short factory tube filled while trying to operate the machine. That's shown clearly in any of the youtube videos of guys using the factory tube while trying to reload. Distracting and a pain in the rear. Anything that reduces distraction during the operation of a machine without a guard on it is a good thing in my opinion.

As far leverage, I can still size a .454 bullet down to .429 without bending/ breaking anything on my Stars. If you can't size down a bullet 3-5 thou then you just need to lube it a bit. Getting a bigger hammer isn't always the answer, sometimes a little finesse goes a long way. Sometimes it isn't about the size of the hammer, but about the longevity and mean time between failure of the machine. I repaired my Star when I received it. The failed part was one that could either be welded or had to be machined to get a new one. Failure points on the Mk VI are likely to be the bolts screws it's held together with. Those can be bought at most hardware stores. Makes a big difference in repair costs.

I had wanted to get a B/C during the original GB but missed it. I waited 2 years for them to repeat the offer to us as we waited patiently for them to resolve their problems, but the last I talked to them they wanted over 650.00 for sizer, and that's with no heater, dies or speed handle. No thanks, that's why I went with the Star in the first place years ago, just a better deal. That's also why I voted sell the B/C, keep the Star. I haven't been around for the last couple years due to my Dad being sick, but I was recently on their website. You information does not make sense, especially with what they're currently offering. You might want to re-check their website. My understanding is they have product available now and prices are in line with what my group buy machine price was when you factor in the inflation of the last couple of years.

Banned
    Attachment 103746

Bullet feeder insert

Boolit Master

Sorry, I missed the part about you had to own both. I will do the video this afternoon if I can, but be warned my camera doesn't do sound, so you won't hear the bullet squealing like a pig when I size it. Right now I am off to pick up the kids from school and then bring them to Karate class, so it might be a bit before I post the video, assuming I can figure out how to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga
    Bullet feeder insert
    What's it made out of? What's the ID and OD? Yes, I'm ignorant, I know, but at least I'm sincere.

Banned
    ok,

Plastic tubing measuring aproximately .440 OD, .400 ID, wall thickness .020

Cut them so you end up with a piece .400 in length.

Wrap painters tape around the outside in order to obtain a tight fit in the wheel feeder holes or in the case of the Star/Magma a tight fit in the feeder slide unit.

The plastic can be purchased in lengths of several feet.

The excess paortion not used can be inserted inside the feeder tube using painters tape to insure a stopping point for the tube and a snig fit inside the tube.

The LEE brand bullet feeder tube assemblies have the correct tubing size.

Boolit Master

Dave: I would never waste my time filling the Star feed tube. I have about 100 plastic tubes with clips on the ends that I fill all at once, then change them out while sizing. I like to do at least 1000 bullets at a time. As to prices on the B/C, here is the original GB post I found.

Fully Loaded Mark VI (all of the following options)............$560
    Air Pressure Regulator
    Digitally Thermostatic Controlled Base Heater
    Rotary Feed Wheel
    Feed Tube Holder
    Feed Tube
    Sizing Die
    Punch
    Secondary Lube Tube Heater
    Speed Handle

Base Model Mark VI (with the following options)............$300
    Air Pressure Regulator
    Punch
    Speed Handle

Shipping to the lower 48 states............$25

300.00 GB price does not equal 431.00 current price no matter how many times I add it up. Although they have seemed to have lowered their prices since last time I looked, may have to consider getting one again.

Springfield, responses in red in the quote, as usual:

Dave: I would never waste my time filling the Star feed tube. I have about 100 plastic tubes with clips on the ends that I fill all at once, then change them out while sizing. I like to do at least 1000 bullets at a time. Sounds reasonable to me, though I think the turret would be effective as well if each tube held at least 25 boolits.

As to prices on the B/C, here is the original GB post I found.

Fully Loaded Mark VI (all of the following options)............$560
    Air Pressure Regulator
    Digitally Thermostatic Controlled Base Heater
    Rotary Feed Wheel
    Feed Tube Holder
    Feed Tube
    Sizing Die
    Punch
    Secondary Lube Tube Heater
    Speed Handle

Base Model Mark VI (with the following options)............$300
    Air Pressure Regulator
    Punch
    Speed Handle

Shipping to the lower 48 states............$25

300.00 GB price does not equal 431.00 current price no matter how many times I add it up. Although they have seemed to have lowered their prices since last time I looked, may have to consider getting one again. One thing you need to be aware of is the economy and the dollar's value have both changed significantly since the group buy occured. Both have gotten much worse. You can't expect to buy in today's dollars what was bought several years back now. You have to deal in today's dollars. That said, due to the shake up, Ballisti-Cast may have to lower their prices some to get business they've lost due to the delays of the shake up.
    Here's the current price list, right off the Ballisti-Cast website. In today's dollars, the prices are quite reasonable:

Mark VI Manual Luber Sizer
    Mark VI Standard Lube Sizer$349.50
    Mark VI Deluxe Lube Sizer (fully loaded with all options below)$700
    Options
    Digital Thermostat Upgrade$120.00
    Air Pressure Regulator$40.00
    Thermostatic Controlled Base and Lube Heater (includes digital thermostat)$170.00
    Rotary Feed Wheel (Calibers: 25, 38, 45 or 50)$25.00
    Feed Tube Holder$40.00
    Feed Tube, 18 inch (Calibers: 25, 38, 45 or 50)$18.00
    Sizing Die (Actual bore size 0.0005 inch smaller than requested and labelled size to compensate for lead springback)$55.00
    Punch (standard flat nose)$22.00
    Speed Handle$20.00

So either buy or don't, but I seriously doubt you'll see another group buy, much less those prices. Were it me and I wanted one, I'd buy. Carping about prices from years back never got a soul a thing. The past is gone. Just my .02 on that.

BTW, I wasn't the one challenging you on you buying one. But you're carping in my thread, so I've addressed the issue.

Boolit Grand Master

Just wanted to let you know I received the Star today and I'm happy you decided to sell it

I'm already putting together a list to make it fully air operated so all I have to do is use a foot pedal. My elbows thank you for saving them by deciding to sell the Star :beer:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast