Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Wideners

View Poll Results: Sell the Star or the Ballisti-Cast Lube Sizer?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sell the Star luber sizer

5 38.46%
  • Sell the Ballisti-Cast luber sizer

8 61.54%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If you had to sell one, which one would you sell?

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Just wanted to let you know I received the Star today and I'm happy you decided to sell it

I'm already putting together a list to make it fully air operated so all I have to do is use a foot pedal. My elbows thank you for saving them by deciding to sell the Star :beer:
    You might not be saying that if that other thread I've got started ends up bearing fruit.

Boolit Master

Sizing from .452 to .429

Hopefully here is a video if me sizing 2 .452 bullets down to .429. May take a while to download, I don't know how to reduce movie size. Narrative is, I measured a .452 bullet, put it in the sizer and pulled the handle. Measured a second bullet and did the same, pushing out the first bullet, which now measure .429. Pushed out the second bullet which also measures .429. These are my normal Brinell 11 hardness bullets, not terribly hard, but if you can't size down a hard bullet to .004 then you really need to lube the die some. I only have about 400,000 bullets through this sizer, and don't see any sign of wear yet, and I am not worried about it breaking. No, I don't have any B/C sizer to compare with, but can't see how it would work so much better that I should sell these and convert over. They may not be the "best" but they sure get the job done. IMHO

http://s29.photobucket.com/user/mwhy...4aa72.mp4.html

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    No, I don't have any B/C sizer to compare with, but can't see how it would work so much better that I should sell these and convert over. They may not be the "best" but they sure get the job done. IMHO
    If I owned one of them (and I do), I would not sell it to change over, no matter which one I owned. They both have their advantages....... The purpose of this particular thread, was simply for the OP to determine which one was the best for his particular application. Which one best suits any one individuals needs is rather subjective.

I would be quite pleased with either, as they both do a great job and function in a similar manner.

Banned
    Hopefully here is a video if me sizing 2 .452 bullets down to .429. May take a while to download, I don't know how to reduce movie size. Narrative is, I measured a .452 bullet, put it in the sizer and pulled the handle. Measured a second bullet and did the same, pushing out the first bullet, which now measure .429. Pushed out the second bullet which also measures .429. These are my normal Brinell 11 hardness bullets, not terribly hard, but if you can't size down a hard bullet to .004 then you really need to lube the die some. I only have about 400,000 bullets through this sizer, and don't see any sign of wear yet, and I am not worried about it breaking. No, I don't have any B/C sizer to compare with, but can't see how it would work so much better that I should sell these and convert over. They may not be the "best" but they sure get the job done. IMHO

http://s29.photobucket.com/user/mwhy...4aa72.mp4.html
    Well, I'm surprised .... a dead soft bullet sized down .023 I don't use dead soft lead in my loading.

What I'm really surprised about it your posting on this thread. You don't own a BC sizer nor have you ever. You just seem to be a sore looser that wasn't able to purchase from the original group buy and are unhappy because you weren't able to have BC open up another group buy just for you.

It does not matter that he does not own a Ballisticast machine. He was responding to your assertions earlier in this thread that a star would break if you sized an oversize bullet in a star. Use what ever machine you like. It doesn't matter why you like it, it just fits your needs.
    Last edited by VHoward; 05-12-2014 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Reworded as original wording might have been taken wrong.

Boolit Grand Master

Is there a need for personal attacks?

No personal attack meant. Just wondering why he opposes someone responding to one of his statements in this thread.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by VHoward View Post
    No personal attack meant. Just wondering why he opposes someone responding to one of his statements in this thread.
    I don't think that your post was the one that was being referred to as to the personal attack.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak1 View Post
    I don't think that your post was the one that was being referred to as to the personal attack.
    I didn't think mine was a personal attack but view it as you wish and for those soft hearted there is that little button you can push to alert the moderators.

As for the content on my post....

I'm not impresses with sizing a DEAD soft bullet big deal. As for the poster jumping on the thread that he has no business posting I mentioned it. He has NO BC sizer period therefore no comment is needed. The thread is instead directed toward those that HAVE owned or DO own a BC sizer and NOT those that missed the group buy and are upset because they cannot secure the same pricing.

I'm surprise someone didn't call me a Troll which is the newest form of bee sss here.

My suggestion is to worry about what you post. If you have good content in which to add to this thread post it.

And yet you spend so much time worrying about whether anybody else should be allowed to post in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    My suggestion is to worry about what you post. If you have good content in which to add to this thread post it.
    Springfield responded to you with his answer with content he thought was good. Your the one making a mountain out of a mole hill. Still does not matter that he does not own a BC sizer.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I didn't think mine was a personal attack but view it as you wish and for those soft hearted there is that little button you can push to alert the moderators.

As for the content on my post....

I'm not impresses with sizing a DEAD soft bullet big deal. As for the poster jumping on the thread that he has no business posting I mentioned it. He has NO BC sizer period therefore no comment is needed. The thread is instead directed toward those that HAVE owned or DO own a BC sizer and NOT those that missed the group buy and are upset because they cannot secure the same pricing.

I'm surprise someone didn't call me a Troll which is the newest form of bee sss here.

Wow it's getting to where we might have to hold a beer summit.

It's not like we are talking about pan lubing. These are two great solid machines. I own a star and will be purchasing a BC sizer. (I paid a lot more than $700 for my star with the heater, feeder etc).

They each do the job and do it well. They take the same dies (different punches). Magma is a rock solid company selling the BMW of sizers on the other hand BC is attempting to get back on it's feet selling the Mack truck of sizers. The good thing is BC has them and is now shipping them, they have them on the shelf and are shipping IMO a fully setup sizer of that quality for $700 is a good deal. I am saving for a new house and thus the BC sizer isn't in my budget until Aug.

Banned
    Just curious here...what does the first post say? Please do re-read it.

The thread is kinda explains itself in my opinion. If you had your choice between the Star and BC machine which would you sell? Kinda implies that either you own both or have owned both. Simply put others need not answer simply because their not qualified to.

Let Springfield answer for himself instead of getting your feathers ruffled sticking up for your friend.

I wonder why you make a statement in post #10 "Havin owned both when push comes to shove the Ballisti-cast will size bullets that your Star will break trying to size. " and then complain when someone responds to you.

In post #29
    I don't see how the 4 tube turret will save any time in the long run. You either put four tubes on the feeder one at a time or you put four tubes on the turret and turn it as you need more bullets. Seems like a wash to me. but what do I know, I only cast and sell a few thousand bullets a week. Kinda like filling up a bunch of primer tubes for your Dillon and them doing a big batch. It doesn't speed things up, just makes it so you can more of one thing at a time. But you still have to fill the tubes. As far leverage, I can still size a .454 bullet down to .429 without bending/ breaking anything on my Stars. If you can't size down a bullet 3-5 thou then you just need to lube it a bit. Getting a bigger hammer isn't always the answer, sometimes a little finesse goes a long way. I had wanted to get a B/C during the original GB but missed it. I waited 2 years for them to repeat the offer to us as we waited patiently for them to resolve their problems, but the last I talked to them they wanted over 650.00 for sizer, and that's with no heater, dies or speed handle. No thanks, that's why I went with the Star in the first place years ago, just a better deal. That's also why I voted sell the B/C, keep the Star.

So, if I understand your post correctly you waited two years or more for Ballisti-cast to repeat their group buy purchase. You don't own one? Then why did you jump in with both feet into this thread?

You can size a bullet from .454 to .429? I'm waiting for your video on this one.

This thread should have specified that ONLY people owning or having owned both machines need reply to it and then we wouldn't have posts like yours. (Just my opinion here)

Dave, I can send you diagrams of the bullet tube assembly. I use it the following way... I load up single tubes and pull the pin on the tubes to load the feed tubes. It depends how you make it if it jams or feeds correctly. Mine is a copy of a design out there and if works fine with anything from 125gr 357's to 255 gr 45 bullets. The reason I went with a turret is I was tired of having a tube of bullets tip over and spill. I guess you use what you consider to work the best for you. Telling someone its a waste of time and or money as it didn't work for you may not be the best answer. There is absolutely no difference in the one I made and having a single long bullet tubes with the exception that it doesn't tip over and two with a turn of the turret another tube of bullets is ready to be sized.

Comment on the Mark VI feed wheel....

When using a 45 cal wheel one can make a insert to fit the existing hole to allow sizing of 38 caliber bullets. The same technology I used with my Star with the bullet feeder.

In that post highlighted in red was your request for him to post a video of him sizing a bullet from .452 to .429. When he did you again complain that he dared to post in this thread because he did not own a BC sizer.

Who made you the thread police?

If you don't like the answers you get, stop asking the questions.

And I'm not defending a friend, just wondering about you. You seem to get all upset when someone elses opinion does not match yours.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Okay folks, let's let this thread die. It's turning into a tinkling contest and I'm not interested in that. I've gotten the information, made a decision and sold a lube-sizer to a man that needed/wanted/was looking for one. He's happy and I'm happy and that's all that matters.

As far as which sizer is better, I own both myself and after evaluating both for sale, the Ballisti-Cast got the "keep" nod and I sold the Star. Personally, both would do the job for me in most things I do, which are pretty standard calibers and smaller quantities of lead removed. So my decision wasn't about which was better. I recently checked with Ballisti-Cast about an issue with my Mark VI. They sent me a replacement part in a reasonable time frame, so I'm comfortable with their warranty support, as mine is long out of warranty and they still supported the product and corrected issues induced by some "hurried/sloppy" machine work, most likely related to the son's youth and inexperience mixing with the group buy.

I still would not hesitate to buy a Magma/Star lube sizer if Ballisti-Cast were out of business or their machine was on back order. Either machine will do the job for most folks.

I'm asking folks not to post any more mud-slinging/personal attack type stuff in the thread, though they're welcome to thread drift about the two machines and the good/bad/differences/positives/negatives of each machine, all of which is useful information.

If the mud slinging persists, I'm going to ask the mods to close the thread to calm things down.

Boolit Master

Ok, I will answer for myself. Last I checked dead soft is more like 5 Brinell, the bullet I sized was 9-10, more like current WW. If you want I can take a dead soft one and size a .454 down to .356.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123