WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

View Poll Results: Sell the Star or the Ballisti-Cast Lube Sizer?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sell the Star luber sizer

5 38.46%
  • Sell the Ballisti-Cast luber sizer

8 61.54%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you had to sell one, which one would you sell?

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar

If you had to sell one, which one would you sell?

I have both a Star and a Ballisti-Cast luber sizer. Both have heaters, both have bullet feeders, both have air cylinder lube drive w/regulators & gauges, both have bullet feeder tubes. I am going to have to sell one, but am having trouble picking which one.

The Star is an original Star that I cleaned up, repaired and repainted, with original springs. The heater and bullet feeder on it is new, the air cylinder lube drive is exc/like new. As of right now, everything is in excellent condition and looks fantastic/like new/restored.

The Ballisti-Cast is new, has a new PID heater control and bullet feeder with bullet feeder tubes and hand wheels for several popular pistol calibers and at least one rifle caliber.

I've never used the Ballistic-Cast because my Dad got sick before I had a chance to set it up and get it going. The only flaw I'm aware of is the paint came from the factory peeling off of the aluminum base and I don't consider that a hard problem to fix. I think they didn't use a proper prep or proper primer for the aluminum before painting it. It would probably look good stripped to the bare aluminum anyways, like the new Magma/Stars are today.

I have to sell one in order to advance some other projects I have going on, including a full blown "dry" sandblasting setup and a rifle-sized parkerizing setup (My pistol sized setup is successful, but humidity in the sandblasting is a problem here in Georgia, hence the "drying" setup.).

So I need to pick one and so I'm asking those that have used both to comment, to vote and help me decide which one.

Thank you for your help,
    Last edited by DaveInFloweryBranchGA; 04-27-2014 at 06:53 PM.

ADMIN

Keep the star. U will always have parts available
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Buddy

I would keep the Ballisti-Cast, it's built like a tank and if the parts do fail it should be ones that should be off the shelf.

I think that you would get more $'s for the Ballisti-Cast version if you were to sell it.

Boolit Buddy
    I would sell the star.

There are thousands out there to replace it. Yes you might have to pay more but its really not that much. When was the last time you saw a used ballisti cast for sale? And in the future if you really wanted a Star , Just sell the Ballisti Cast and buy one.

Disclaimer: I have not used a Ballisti Cast lube sizer.

Boolit Buddy

I'm with Kohler on this... Sell the Ballisti-Cast....KEEP THE STAR!!! I have 3 Stars and 1 Ballisti-Cast...... Should I ever need to get rid of a lube-sizer the Ballisti will be gone.
    Viet Nam 11/66 to 3/68

Starreloader, since I know you own both, why would you get rid of the Ballisti-Cast first? That fact the Stars have been around or? What is making you favor the Star other than you have three of them?

kayak1, I can't tell from your post, but sounds like you may own one of the Ballisti-Cast, do you?

The reason I would sell the Ballisti-Cast is because of the history of the company. I've watched it go from one owner to another to another, etc. over the years. That's what kept me from investing in their products when I wanted a commercial casting machine. I don't know if they will be around next year, or the year after....

I do know Magma will be around, and it's been around for a long time under the same ownership, and the vast majority of commercial casting outfits use Magma products. They make the Star sizer, and will continue to make them, and they'll even repair the old original Star machines. They repaired one of mine for a very reasonable fee just two years ago.

I'd stick with the Star, but then I've got six of them........

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFloweryBranchGA View Post
    Starreloader, since I know you own both, why would you get rid of the Ballisti-Cast first? That fact the Stars have been around or? What is making you favor the Star other than you have three of them?

kayak1, I can't tell from your post, but sounds like you may own one of the Ballisti-Cast, do you?

I have a star (that I love). I attempted to purchase a Ballisti-Cast sizer but I couldn't get a quote (The pricing wasn't as well setup on the web site last year) after two calls and a few e-mails it didn't happen. Bill was a bit scattered at the time and promised me that he would call me back.

It seems like things are better, my fear with them was that I would pay them but it wouldn't ship it. Sounds like things are getting better and I am still a few months from being ready to give them my CC. But if I had one I wouldn't part with it (I also won't part with my star).

Boolit Grand Master

Whichever you decide to sell let me know, seriously. If you were going to post it for sale here let's make a deal. If you were going to sell locally or already have a buyer I understand.

Banned
    Havin owned both when push comes to shove the Ballisti-cast will size bullets that your Star will break trying to size.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Havin owned both when push comes to shove the Ballisti-cast will size bullets that your Star will break trying to size.
    This is probably a decision maker for me, though final decision not done until poll has run the five days. But I got both down off my cabinet today and looked at them. Not much to break on the Mark VI you can't buy off the shelf, including the brass bushing the ram rides in. Only thing I don't like about it is the flaking green paint from the group buy and the glued in temperature probe/heater elements.

I do like both feeders are simple on both units and both keep your fingers away from the punch. I wish I had bought the roller handle offered on this board for the Star. I tried the Magma shovel handle and the air cylinder was right in the way of it. The L-shaped roller handles are mo better.

Amazing what one forgets in a year and a half. I had both these units in the process of getting setup when my Dad got to the point he couldn't take care of himself. Haven't used either one since then and forgot a whole lot.

6bg6ga,

Thank you for posting. I remember you bought your Mark VI around the same time I did, not sure if you were in the group buy or not.

As an aside, called Ballisti-Cast today and spoke with Keith yesterday to ask some questions. He's a new guy there and apparently, most of the family shake up stuff has gone by the way side and things are well on their way (better than 90 percent of the way) to where they ought to be. So good news there. I asked some pointed questions and he answered them comfortably. But I'm pretty laid back on the phone and shared with him what I knew as well.

If you break a star sizing a bullet, then your doing something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by VHoward View Post
    If you break a star sizing a bullet, then your doing something wrong.
    What 6gb6ga is trying to say is the Mark VI is a much, much heavier duty sizer, which leads to longevity aka longer wear between worn out parts. And owning both and having both next to each other on the bench, the design of the Mark VI is better related to longevity and durability, both in materials and design. The Star does have parts that wear and break on it over time. I know, because I repaired/replaced those parts on my used Star when I rebuilt it.

Not about operation, more about longevity/durability.

Banned
    To answer your question about the group purchase of the Mark VI. I was in on the group purchase. I waited my turn which took time as everyone in the group purchase knows. I ordered the fully loaded all the bells and whistles unit and when it arrived it was magnificent. The paint was great and it worked flawlessly. Everyone that has been on the forum since the debate has come to play has seen the Mark VI that I fitted out with a bullet feeder (4 tube assembly).

Now, I'm not here to start a Mark VI is better than a Star/Magma debate. I will say I seriously thought I was going to break my Magma unit when I tried to size and lube some very hard 255-255 gr flat nose 45 long colt bullets. They simply wouldn't size in the Magma or my Star units. I then setup the Mark VI and sized them without a problem. To be blunt and I should be able to say this because what I'm saying is based on actual experience is the Mark VI is built heavier and has more leverage than the Star/Magma unit does. Now, if anyone wishes to question this I still have some of these very hard oversized bullets. Your welcome to stop in with your Star/Magma and try it. It won't take long before you will be thinking just like I was that I'm going to break something.

6bg6ga, some comments in the quote in red.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    To answer your question about the group purchase of the Mark VI. I was in on the group purchase. I waited my turn which took time as everyone in the group purchase knows. I ordered the fully loaded all the bells and whistles unit and when it arrived it was magnificent. The paint was great and it worked flawlessly.You were lucky, mine had paint peeling off and they dinged the brass bushing putting it in. Also, the punch holder/ram had a sharp edge on the bottom that scored the inside of the bushing. I'm currently working on fixing the bushing/punch holder issue with a dremel and some 800 grit lapping compound. That said, Keith at Ballisti-Cast said if what I do doesn't fix it, to send it in and they'll replace the bushing. I think I can fix it, but right now it feels as rough as a corn cob wiping your rear when you run the ram up and down. Everyone that has been on the forum since the debate has come to play has seen the Mark VI that I fitted out with a bullet feeder (4 tube assembly). I missed that being off the forum taking care of my elderly Father. Can you link me to the post? I'd love to see your bullet feeder setup.

Now, I'm not here to start a Mark VI is better than a Star/Magma debate. I will say I seriously thought I was going to break my Magma unit when I tried to size and lube some very hard 255-255 gr flat nose 45 long colt bullets. They simply wouldn't size in the Magma or my Star units. I then setup the Mark VI and sized them without a problem. To be blunt and I should be able to say this because what I'm saying is based on actual experience is the Mark VI is built heavier and has more leverage than the Star/Magma unit does. Now, if anyone wishes to question this I still have some of these very hard oversized bullets. Your welcome to stop in with your Star/Magma and try it. It won't take long before you will be thinking just like I was that I'm going to break something. Spoke like a man that knows the facts, having seen them with his own eyes. After having them side by side, I believe it and why I'm going against the grain and selling the Star, even with concerns about Ballisti-Cast.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm with 6bg6ga here. I think they are both great machines. They are similar in operation, but it's a simple fact that the Ballisti-Cast has a greater leverage advantage, and I think the punch depth is a little easier to set also. Whether these items mean anything to anyone is subjective, but there they are.

I'm not personally worried about them going out of business, they seem to have turned the corner now. Even if they did, the parts could be made locally if need be. I would also point out that Star went out of business..........but Magma now makes the machine so that's not a problem

So I would (and did) buy a Ballisti-Cast. But if you are planning on automating the machine as some of the members here have done, then the bullet feeder on the Star has an advantage. So I would go with the Star if I were going to automate it, but with the Ballisti-Cast for manual use.

Boolit Master

Sell whichever one you can get more money for. That's why you are selling one after all.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ssnow View Post
    I'm with 6bg6ga here. I think they are both great machines. They are similar in operation, but it's a simple fact that the Ballisti-Cast has a greater leverage advantage, and I think the punch depth is a little easier to set also. Whether these items mean anything to anyone is subjective, but there they are.

I'm not personally worried about them going out of business, they seem to have turned the corner now. Even if they did, the parts could be made locally if need be. I would also point out that Star went out of business..........but Magma now makes the machine so that's not a problem

So I would (and did) buy a Ballisti-Cast. But if you are planning on automating the machine as some of the members here have done, then the bullet feeder on the Star has an advantage. So I would go with the Star if I were going to automate it, but with the Ballisti-Cast for manual use.

As always Stacy has hit the nail on the head. More leverage, easier to change the punch depth.

If your worried about something wearing out on the Mark VI and Ballisti-cast going out of business I can tell you this much and that is there isn't a part on it other than the main casting taht any machinist couldn't make in a few minutes. Need a new bronze bushing? Thats easy to fix. To be factual its a more user friendly machine than the Star/Magma machine is.

The fact that you got a bum one would have had me sending it back to them for repair/replacement.

As Stacy has mentioned the automation both can be automated but the Star/Magma is far easier to automate for the general public.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFloweryBranchGA View Post
    6bg6ga, some comments in the quote in red.

Dave,

I wouldn't be talking praise in the case of the MArkVI unless I believed it 100%. I'm sure that Ssnow feels the same way. If I were you I would seriously give them a call back and mention the paint and the problems and have everything fixed. You paid good money for it so you need to have what you paid for.

With respect to speed.... with the turret assembly I had on my Mark VI it would size and lube faster given an equal quantity of bullets than the Star/Magma did with the bullet feeder. I simply turned the turret and I had an additional 25 bullets to size. At the time I fitted the Star/Magma with an extremely long tube that held the same amout of bullets.

Attachment 103551

Banned
    Another point of interest is in the lube seal. The Star/Magma uses a teflon type seal and the Mark VI uses two O-rings on a aluminum piston. Its not a $10 part plus shipping but rather more like a trip to the hardware store for a pack of two O-rings cost less than $1. I never lost a )-ring seal but I have the more expensive Magma seals.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast