Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, what stops Rust the best.

Boolit Master

So, what stops Rust the best.

Everyone wonders about rust and what works the best, here it is:

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

Now you know.

Boolit Master
    No one must ever be worried about rust, amazing!

Boolit Bub
    I was just thinking about this last night, I saw that review a while back but couldn't remember the name "EEZOX".

I lube with FP-10 and have been very pleased with it, but it obviously does little for corrosion protection.

Boolit Master

Eezox seems to be hard to come by...

Bullberry Carries it, and if they won't ship it to you, I could pick it up and ship it if needed.

I don't get out there too often, but I'm driving by at least once a month.
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

For some reason, I read rust as Russia. Don't ask me how... I was thinking it was going to be a video of something pretty funny. I still like this tho, good way to prevent the rust!
    Using Tapatalk

I did my own test in middle school for science fair. Cut piece of steel into multiple pieces and put under the eaves of garage. WD40 won. By a lot. I think I had Tetra Gun, Break Free, motor oil, crisco and a couple others. WD40 kicked their asses, even after over a month during the summer. Of course we'd never heard of eezox then...wonder how WD would do in their test....

Boolit Master

Looks like I was doing OK using Break-free. I use it with BP and it doesn't seem to gum up with BP like some lubricants. Good to know it is one of the best anti-rust oils also.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Quiettime View Post
    ...wonder how WD would do in their test....
    http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....-Pics-5-08-12)

Le Loup Solitaire
    Rust never sleeps! What stops it is a product that cuts off the exposure to oxygen usually in the air....and there are many....usually petroleum based. There are lots of oils and greases around...take your pick from many well known ones. I use GI weapons oil sold as surplus and it works. So does 3 in 1 oil. I mixed up a gallon of "Slick stuff" and that is good. I also use a product called "Clenzoil" for many years now and it too is very good. What gets rid of rust...the best for me has been Evaporust...which I have used in restoring antique and neglected tools. What works the best?...depends on what your expectations are. Good info from the previous posts, but the final call is yours. LLS

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiettime View Post
    I did my own test in middle school for science fair. Cut piece of steel into multiple pieces and put under the eaves of garage. WD40 won. By a lot. I think I had Tetra Gun, Break Free, motor oil, crisco and a couple others. WD40 kicked their asses, even after over a month during the summer. Of course we'd never heard of eezox then...wonder how WD would do in their test....
    Thats very interesting, I've seen a few tests over the years and WD40/ 3 in 1, always came in dead last regardless of the test. It was shown on a couple of tests that WD 40 was even somewhat of an attractent to rust collection.
    WD 40/3 in 1 has probably cost the citizens of world millions of dollars. When they first started there campaign years ago, they used to give sampiles away. That got there foot in the door (house hold words) and they have been trying to stay there ever sense.
    The stuff is pure trash! The name of the game is rust prevention, NOT removal!

You guys can set up your own test with WD40/3 in 1, and about anything you desire for your selves. Try one test plate with a product called Break Free.

You have to read the whole test to see what is going on!
    Last edited by Changeling; 04-30-2014 at 04:13 PM. Reason: comments

I found Eezox years ago and liked that it penetrated the "pores" of metal, especially S/S as I'd just gotten a Ruger Redhawk and wanted to avoid the galling that sometimes occurred.

Then it stopped being carried. I did a Google search and found it, but the S&H is my downfall...I'm too PA DUTCH to spend nearly what a product costs to send a tiny can to me!

I found Eezox in a NY store and a buddy travels for his job in NY state and bought me some... Doesn't quite have the "banana oil" smell I remembered, but hey, I'm old. I've also used it in/on my blued guns and haven't found any rust even stored for longer periods!

Stuff works great! dries and leaves a bond on the metal... now this new Frog Lube seems to be touted much the same so giving that a try...

just got Kroil too...read here it works on seasoning moulds! I thought you guys were talking in some code lurking for a period there...KROIL...like something I read is a unicell animal in the ocean or something...

Jokes on me. It's real!

Banned

Most every test I have seen Eezox clear choice.

Boolit Master
    I use and like Eezox. A little goes a looong way and I find if I purchase anything but the smallest bottle it gets thick and gummy. I have even tried keeping it in an air tight plastic bag with no luck. Its hard to find without paying an arm & leg for it, I used to keep up on it as Fred Smith sends a small bottle with everyone of his Bullberry barrels.

Boolit Master

I use a product called "Boeshield T-9" developed by the Boeing Co. [aircraft].
    It was developed to protect metal outside for a year or more. It dries into a thin wax like film to block air. I use this on guns that are stored and not shot often. To remove it from the bore before shooting use mineral spirits.

Larry

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    I find if I purchase anything but the smallest bottle it gets thick and gummy.
    http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/pl-eezox.html#eezox

They don't sell anything but the 0.95 & 1.5 oz bottles in plastic anymore. The 4 oz and above are all metal to prevent evaporation that was a problem with the plastic bottles.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-03-2014 at 01:50 AM.

Two I got are "camo" tin cans with weird li'l flip up spouts. I swear the smell changed, but it still seems pretty "slickery".

Boolit Buddy
    Well I'm interested. Just ordered a drip bottle and small spray can.

Curious to know if anyone has tried this for long term storage of molds? I wonder how easy it is to remove once you wanted to cast or if it would help (like Kroil).

Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    Thats very interesting, I've seen a few tests over the years and WD40/ 3 in 1, always came in dead last regardless of the test. It was shown on a couple of tests that WD 40 was even somewhat of an attractent to rust collection.
    NEVER seen this to be the case

Looks like WD faired pretty good in those two tests.
    And just for your info... casting with a single cavity is about as close as you can get to zero production, while still having some production. -- Whitespider

Boolit Master
    If you find it so appealing, by all means use it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast