WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Aerosol graphite only?

Aerosol graphite only?

I discovered some aerosol graphite and can not find in here where anyone has used it by itself for boolit lube. I did read that moly can buildup and wreck a barrel. I am wondering if once the barrel is fully lubed if only a boolit once in a while needs to be lubed. The stuff dries on pretty good and seems to stay. Thoughts or experience with this?
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master

I think the boolit lube (conventional or tumble style) is used as more of a sealer of the bore, rather than a lubricant. Wax based lubes liquify in the heat and friction of the boolit passing down the barrel. This is where your "sealer" comes from. It's all about sealing the hot gasses from passing the boolit in the barrel. Now, there are many people on this board that have a MUCH better understanding of boolit lubes and how they work than myself. Maybe one of them will post in and explain it better. Graphite, because it is a powder, probably won't seal the bore as well as wax based lubes. This is the best I can do for ya. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    IIRC user Jim did something with graphite. I tried some a couple decades ago and the results were dismal, it wasn't in aerosol form.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Love Life
    JIm's tests with graphalox are on his blog. Drop him a line while you're there.

Midway used to carry Dropout spray graphite mold release. I used that after working up some loads and stated getting light leading. I gained another hundred FPS before getting leading again with good accuracy.
    Spray then lube them in a LAM2 sizer. worked good.

I recently found 7 cans of Frankford Arsenal Drop Out at a thrift store got them all for $1.69 a can.

LaMar

I found some 5 micron graphite after looking around. I think the idea would be to put it in a small percentage (maybe 1%) into something like Simple lube or one of the other lubes. I think it would coat the bore, and if the lube you put it in had minimum coating residue, you could get very good consistency in the bore condition. It might work out in the area of temperature so that high melting temps are not necessary for high temp use, and low temp setting up and building up on the barrel could be avoided by using oils which wouldn't stay on the bore along with carriers that likewise didn't coat and build up. Also, it could even be used with a marginal lube where leading was incipient, but with low residue, and maybe end up with a fine lube.
    Last edited by leftiye; 04-28-2014 at 05:34 AM.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Buddy
    Try sprinkling a little motor mica white dry lube powder after you lube your boolets. It will make them clean to handle and add lubrication. An old salt shaker makes it easier. Frank C.

Boolit Grand Master

Great idea, I have a can of drop out that I don't use on moulds anymore, That stuff just nasties up a mould and is hard to get off. I hate throwing stuff away and useing it as quick lube on bullets, especially in an "as cast" situation, is a most excellant use!
    Gary