WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making plans to get back in business

Boolit Master

Making plans to get back in business

My physical condition is still improving. I can now use crutches to get out to the shop, where I have a nice tractor-seat stool to sit on and a wooden box to prop my foot up on. I can't stand for long (I have to stand on one leg) and I can't lift, carry, or run anything. But I can instruct other people on what to do.

My #1 nephew has expressed a lot of interest in working in a shop. His father, my BIL, was a machinist and millwright all his working life, and #1 remembers going in to the shops with his dad on weekends to use the equipment. He served a hitch in the navy, getting several technical certifications, and after getting out and working off and on for a fab shop and then doing printer maintenance service he became a full time stay at home dad. His wife, an intelligent and gracious woman, has a well paying job that is commensurate with her intellectual capabilities, degree, and experience, so they didn't need extra income. Now his oldest son is going to college next fall and his youngest will be a sophomore in high school. (I enormously respect him for raising his two sons properly - he has coached various teams they have been on, volunteered for school related duties, and so on. His kids are GOOD kids.)

#1 came over Friday for about four hours and helped me clean up the shop, clean out the cut off saw and change out the (nasty and rancid) cutting fluid, and do the same to the CNC lathe. (I apologized to him about having to clean out the cutting fluid tanks, and he looked at me and said that he'd been cleaning up a bathroom after two male children for the last 18 years and this was nothing! Love the realistic attitude!)

A mutual friend wanted me to make some very simple parts - it's a job I've done before and I have all the CNC codes, tools, etc. so it's just a matter of setting up the lathe tools and running the parts. First we cut off the 12' the aluminum bar stock into 4' pieces. Then I showed him how to touch off the tools and operate the control panel to do basic operations. We got the first piece done before we quit. (I was exhausted and he had to pick up his youngest from Driver's Ed class.)

#1 was tickled pink to run his first part. He wants to work with me. I want to work with him and train him. He doesn't want to work full time, and I can deal with that. (I don't want to work full time after I retire in another year either.) I want to bring him along carefully over the next month or so, and barring a health setback I plan to start offering some of my casting related items beginning about June 1. At first it will be CNC lathe produced items that don't require personal attention, such as the blank Lyman/RCBS sizing dies I offered last Fall, and the blank Saeco type dies I have the codes and tooling for. The last thing to resume production will be custom cut stuff such as nose punches and push through sizers.

Until I can make the stuff myself my order delivery time will increase. #1 only wants to work 2-3 days a week, so he might work Mondays and Thursdays for example, and run up whatever has been ordered in the previous three or four days. I could ship on Tuesdays and Fridays. We will work this out.

#1 is a great guy to be around and we had a ball Friday. Getting out of the house, into the shop and being around another guy was extremely good for my psychology and attitude. He is going to come back next week and once we get the lathe running properly he is going to help me set up my casting equipment. I have five new molds I've accumulated and never used yet, so I can sit in the shop and cast while #1 runs the lathe. I will be there to help and give advice but I won't be hovering around.

I'm looking forward now with more optimism than I've had in a long time.

Boolit Man
    This is outstanding news, glad to hear you are up and around and on the mend, with an interested student to share the passion.
    Life is good. Good luck.
    rick

Boolit Master
    G-D bless. Excellent post there prof. Been waiting for some good news like this.

To the last WW,
    Wt.
    "Only when the Muslims (Arabs) begin to love their children as much as they hate us, will there be peace."
    Golda Mier

"Fear is a reaction, courage is a decision"
    Luca Scato

Boolit Master

Congrats. I wish I was close enough to intern under you. I'd work for free for a while just for the experience. Problem is my real job is keeping me pretty busy lately. I traded an old cheap dirt bike for a cheap 3 in 1 machine, and I haven't even gotten around to taking stock of what it came with and cleaning it up, let alone starting to learn to use it.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Congrats!!! Glad to hear your on the mend and getting back to what you want to do. Don't get carried away, remember to work at your own pace. It sounds like having #1 around is going to help you in more ways than one.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Master

Boy, God surely has blessed you, your foot is healing and a person to help get the shop up and running. This is taylor-made just for you. You are going to be just fine.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Grand Master
    Glad to hear you are getting better, and have someone to mentor.

Please try not to push yourself too hard at first.

Robert

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Glad to hear you're up and getting greasy. I'd come and work for you, and you would be healthy enough in a week to throw me out! I'm a combination of Roy Underhill and Red Green in a shop!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Good luck to you,you have a family member who has an aptitude for your type of work.My eldest grandson aged 30 has this same confidence and surprises me how quick he has picked up the intricacies of Gunwork.Almost two years ago he suddenly took an interest in clay shooting so I took him a couple of times,now he beats the old granddad every time.He has also taken to muzzleloading and got a silver in one of the MLAGB Competitions.So I can feel how proud you are.I hope you continue to mend and enjoy our vocation.

Moderator Emeritus

Always seems that god provides just when you need it the most. Your nephew is going to learn the right way instead of the book way and that is a huge difference!

Boolit Master

Sounds like it is the perfect prescription for body, mind and spirit!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

glad to hear your back and things are looking up. GD
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Master
    Good for you and I envy you also. Having someone who can work with you and learn at the same time is wonderful. My first lathe is one of the 6x19 atlas metal working lathes as sold by sears. Still remember buying it and stuffing it in the trunk of my '70 dodge dart. Still have that lathe but doesn't get much use since getting one of the Jet 13x40 gearhead lathes some years back. Most of what I know is from books and trial and lots of error. Our company had courses in lathe operation and for years tried to get my boss to send me to the schools. Wouldn't even hear of it. But over the course of almost 30 years in the company I've attended about 4 different schools in fire fighting.Even went to Boston and attended their fire school for a week. Now that was fun. Funny thing was out of 5 supervisors I was the only one to do the fire school courses. I remember once the local fire house came out to the job and one of the LT's said last time there was a fire no one was around. I said yeah they were probably headed for the front gate. Told him no worries as if something goes wrong on my watch I'll be here. Frank

Boolit Master

Hope you get to 10% soon,

Mary B, there use to be a saying right way,wrong way,Army way.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    May God bless your health and give you the heart of #1 to help mold yet some more.
    Growing up a kind gentleman gave me 18 months of his time (with minimal pay) teaching me about life. Driving a dump truck, pulling levers on his small cat, scooping and digging with a Ford backhoe gave an interesting background while helping me understand what life is about.
    Do let that foot heal up right. Still has the rest of your lifetime to carry you along.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Glad to hear you're on the mend.

Boolit Buddy

Great news. Work gives meaning to life.

Boolit Master
    I'm very glad to see you back. And happy to see you have help in the shop.
    Prepare to be fludded with orders. Kevin

Boolit Master
    Glad to hear your on the mend. I've been very happy your products----now if I could only get one of your RCBS/Lyman straight thru sizer set-ups----hint, hint.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    That is wonderful. Great you are getting better and have a helper.
    ph4570

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast