RotoMetals2PBcastcoWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wax gas checks

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    Ah, good! It was just my guesswork about that particular problem, and it is good to see someone has actually experienced it. I used the extremely hard card, with a coloured surface layer, which is used to cut bevelled-edge matts for framing pictures. Any picture framer who uses only the edges is likely to have a scrapheap of middles.

I gather some .310 Cadets need a heel bullet and some don't. There might be some trouble with bullets which have a reduced enough heel for wax and bits of card to get irregularly forced between bullet heel and bore.
    I only have two Cadets, One "converted" to .32-20 WCF and one original, and both shoot more accurately with the addition of the wax-check. Recovering fired slugs revealed the wax adhering to the bullet base so I began inserting a typing paper wad to prevent this. (My 3-ring binder hole punch supplies them in abundance) I am casting of AC/COWW + 2% tin with a 320/120 CBE mould and lubing with LLA. The heeled portion appears to be fully expanded into the rifling with zero evidence of gas leakage when the wax checks are used. This is not the case without them.

Boolit Master
    Now that expansion of the heel is interesting, and a good argument for their use. I'd feel more confident of its always working the same way if there was stout card before and after the wax, and if not, I can't see it doing any harm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12