Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Group Buy / A.C.E. 7mm Heavy / 170 grn FNGC / For Milsurp & Commercial Bores

HONCHO EMERITUS

Group Buy / A.C.E. 7mm Heavy / 170 grn FNGC / For Milsurp & Commercial Bores

Note: As of January 29, 2015 this Group Buy is being produced by Swede Nelson at NOE. See post #146 for a link to the NOE Forum and the Group Buy for this design. If you signed up in the past on this Group Buy thread, and still want a mold, you must go to the Group Buy thread for this design on the NOE Forum and sign up there. We will not be carrying over the list from this site to the NOE Forum.

This is a Group Buy for the Badgeredd designed, 170 grn FNGC which will be produced by NOE. This design is for the milsurp 7x57's and commercial guns that their owners can verify one of the four size options will fit. This design is offered in four paired band/nose diameters as follows:

Option #1) .287" bands / .276" nose

Option #2) .289" bands / .278" nose

Option #3) .291" bands / .280" nose

Option #4) .293" bands / .282" nose

Click on the diagram to enlarge.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28-170-GCfinal.Jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	103161

The skinny top grove just below the front band is not a crimp groove. It is a scraper/lube purge groove.

This design is meant to be lightly crimped on one of the drive bands. This works well when there is sufficient neck tension; that means the ideal sizing diameter will be .002" - .003" over groove diameter, no more than that is needed.

This boolit was designed to work best in Military Surplus rifles with throats that measure .300" to .725" in length. Long, worn out throats are not uncommon in Military Surplus Mausers chambered for the 7x57. Even guns that appear to have new, unfired replacement barrels exhibit throats that are over .300" in length. The throat of my 1908 Brazilian Mauser is .380" and this rifle looks to have never been fired after the last refurb at the depot. My 1893 Spanish Mauser produced by the Oviedo Arsenal in 1915 and reworked at least once since then has a .490" throat with a gorgeous, bright, sharp bore. There are also plenty of commercial rifles out there with long throats. If your rifle has a throat shorter that .300" understand that you will have some or all of the gas check protruding down past the neck. With crimp on gas checks (Hornady, Gator) there doesn't seem to be a problem here; but that is for each prospective buyer to decide.

Buyers must measure the throats of their rifles before committing to this Group Buy. This can be done with a pound slug, cerrosafe throat cast; or by the following quick & dirty method:

1) Measure the length of a casing and write that measurement down,
    2) Insert a flat based jacketed bullet backward in the case,
    3) Chamber that dummy round gently,
    4) Extract the dummy round,
    5) Measure the dummy round overall length now that the backwards jacketed bullet has been pushed further into the case.
    6) Subtract the original casing length from the length of the dummy round. The result is your throat length.

Next, you must slug your barrel groove dimension. In Military Surplus Mausers brand new barrels seem to mostly run .286" to .288" in the grooves. But, there are exceptions even there. I have heard of grooves as fat as .291" so nobody should assume .287" for military or even .284" for commercial rifle grooves. My Ruger M77 MkII grooves slug at .285" and I have heard of commercial grooves slugging even fatter than .287"

Last of all, buyers should check their land height. This is best done with pin gauges. Start with the .276" diameter gauge. To do this insert the pin gauge at the muzzle. If it slips in over the lands it is too small. Insert the next higher pin gauge, and so on, until you get to the size that will not enter the bore. That is the minimum nose diameter that will ride on top of the lands properly. Just to be on the safe side here, insert the pin gauge into the chamber as well. Then gently tip the muzzle down so that it slides down into the throat. Basically you are making sure that the pin gauge doesn't slide down into the bore. Pull the bolt and use a flashlight to verify this. If it does slip down into the bore, gently push it out with a cleaning rod and try the next larger diameter, until you get a diameter that will not go down the bore. My 1893 Spanish Mauser suffers from this condition. So, I have to go to the next larger nose size option (above what the throat actually requires) to ensure the nose isn't flopping around or slumping as it starts into the bore. If the muzzle lands are worn down more than at the throat I would recommend that you go with the fatter diameter that the muzzle needs. So either way, go with the fatter nose diameter that is present at either end of the barrel.

Write that number down and check the four band/nose options listed above. Pick the nose diameter that is the closest to, but larger than the pin gauge diameter that would not enter your bore. Example, my Ruger M77 MkII accepts a .278" pin gauge, but will not accept a .279" pin gauge. That means I have to order option #3 (.280" nose) and size down to .288" on the drive bands for this rifle.

If you are worried that for some reason your rifle won't chamber or safely fire a boolit sized to .003" over your groove size just take an un-resized fired case and insert a pin gauge into the case mouth until you find the one that barely enters. Now subtract .001" from the diameter of that pin gauge. The result is the maximum safe diameter your rifle can handle allowing enough case neck expansion to release the bullet upon firing. I bet you'll be surprised just how "fat" a cast bullet your rifle will chamber safely!

Ok, so if you've gone through all of this, and you are still interested, here's how we will run this Group Buy. This is not going to be a 12 week Group Buy. Not because of Josh, it was my decision based on the fact I wanted all those members interested to have plenty of time to get their rifle(s) checked properly as described above. That means I am giving everybody time to beg, borrow, steal, or buy pin gauges so that they can check their bores and order the correct mold! I also wanted to ensure enough orders so that this deal will make it worth while for Josh financially based on all of the extra work cutting these molds will be for him; with four different band/nose options and gas check shanks that have to be cut separately. Therefore, this Group Buy will remain open until mid-July, 2014 at the earliest; and probably run until the end of August, 2014 When it closes I will post on this thread and Josh can decide at that time how he wants to take payment but I think money order has been preferred by him in the past.

These are the mold/cavity options available: Check the NOE website for details.

All who are interested in ordering on this Group Buy please post on this thread and I will keep a running list in post #2 of who wants what diameter mold as well as how many cavities, etc.

Badgeredd and I have done our best to come up with a design here that will fit as many of the Military and Commercial 7x57's as possible. If you intend to order a mold(s) please follow the above directions to ensure that you have a boolit that will actually fit your gun. Otherwise it won't shoot any better than the undersized options from the major makers that have always shot poorly out of most everybody's 7x57 rifles.

As far as 7x30 Waters, 7mm-08's, .280 Remington's, 7mm Rem. Magnums, 7mm Weatherby's, and all the host of new long and short mag 7mm's I have no idea if this design will be of use. It is up to the potential buyer to determine if this design will fit and work in his rifle.

I will do my best to answer any questions that may come up.

Thanks for looking,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 28-170-gcfinalpic.jpg  
    Last edited by Dutch4122; 01-31-2015 at 05:46 PM.
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

HONCHO EMERITUS

Please go to this Group Buy listed on the NOE website and post your order there. We will not assume that anyone who has posted an order here is still interested; nor will we carry over orders posted here to the NOE Group Buy. Also, the orders for Aluminum gas checks have been deleted as NOE does not sell them. You can order only Gator Copper Gas Checks from NOE. A link to the NOE Group Buy for this design is in post #146 of this thread.

1) Dutch4122 / Posted at NOE Website
    2) Badgeredd / 2 molds / Posted at NOE Website
    3)
    4) krallstar / Posted at NOE Website
    5) Dromia / 1 Mold / Option #2 / 6 Cavity Aluminum
    6) Nrut / Posted at NOE Website
    7) Janoosh / 2 molds / Options 2 & 4 / Both 2 cavity Aluminum
    8) sgthart3578 / 1 mold / Option #3 / 2 cavity Aluminum
    9) nekshot / 1 mold / Option #2 / 2 cavity aluminum /
    10) Buckshot / Posted at NOE Website
    11) Mostlyonthepaper / Posted at NOE Website
    12)
    13) BrassMagnet / Posted at NOE Website
    14) dh2 / 1 mold / Option #1 / Aluminum 2 cavity.
    15) wmitty / 1 mold / Option #2 / Aluminum 2 cavity
    16) 7s&8s / Posted at NOE Website
    17) Hamish / 1 mold / Option #1 / Aluminum 2 cavity
    18) Old Iron Sights / Posted at NOE Website
    19) tonyjones / Posted at NOE Website
    20) RED333 / Posted at NOE Website
    21) FrankG / 1 mold / Option #1 / 2 Cavity Aluminum
    22) Woodshot / Posted at NOE Website

Last edited by Dutch4122; 02-05-2015 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Update List
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Master

I'll take 2 of the aluminium 2 cavity molds; One at .287" and one at .291", options 1 & 3. That should cover my guns okay. Guess I better sell something so I can afford some molds.

Edd
    Last edited by badgeredd; 04-25-2014 at 08:47 AM.
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master
    I'm definitely in for a 2-cav. in aluminum. I'll let you know the size when I get my bore and throat slugged. At least I've got pin gauges.

Banned

I charge $6 for shipping, if I can get it in the box it will ship for $6

In Remembrance

To keep peace in this household, I must withdraw my order as posted in your other thread.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I am in for a 2 cavity aluminum #2 Thanks

I feel compelled to point out a "possible" issue that "may" arise regarding the molds that are .287" and larger. I have a box of Hornady gas checks that were purchased new a couple of years ago. The outside diameter of a bare check (not crimped) is a hair over .287" and barely crimps when passed through a .287" sizer. It could just be my box but it may be a good thing to check into.

Darrell
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear the fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

Eph. 2:8-10

Kill da wabbitt!!! KILL DA WABBITT!!!!

HONCHO EMERITUS

Quote Originally Posted by brotherdarrell View Post
    I feel compelled to point out a "possible" issue that "may" arise regarding the molds that are .287" and larger. I have a box of Hornady gas checks that were purchased new a couple of years ago. The outside diameter of a bare check (not crimped) is a hair over .287" and barely crimps when passed through a .287" sizer. It could just be my box but it may be a good thing to check into.
    Darrell
    I talked to Edd and he has a box of recent Hornady checks that mic out at .288" and are a tight fit sized to .287" One thing you can do is to anneal the gas checks to soften them for an easier snap on fit, then cast out of an alloy that is a little higher in antimonial content than straight wheelweights or 50-50 w/w & pure lead. By doing so the gas check shank will be slightly bigger and thus a tighter snap on fit. When you size them the gas check will get a tighter "grip" on the shank.

Also, see post #27 of this thread.
    Last edited by Dutch4122; 05-12-2014 at 05:43 PM.
    -Matt

Boolit Buddy

I'm in for a:

Option #2) .289" bands / .278" nose - Steel

Jim

HONCHO EMERITUS

Thread updated.
    -Matt

Boolit Master
    Is it fair game to call this design the 'Spanish cruise missile'?
    I would be interested in one of these, but must first see what my two 7mm carbines measure.

Is/was there a 'standard' barrel twist for mil-surp Mausers?

Something tells me that there may be a renewed discussion in the RPM threshold with this boolit.

HONCHO EMERITUS

Quote Originally Posted by NYBushBro View Post
    Is it fair game to call this design the 'Spanish cruise missile'?Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of "Spanish Hornet."(Original response to this question was edited.)

I would be interested in one of these, but must first see what my two 7mm carbines measure.

Is/was there a 'standard' barrel twist for mil-surp Mausers? Yes, 1 turn in 8.66"

Something tells me that there may be a renewed discussion in the RPM threshold with this boolit.

Edited. My original reply was not productive for this Group Buy nor fair to anyone that has a legitimate interest in this design. I apologize to everyone involved.
    Last edited by Dutch4122; 05-11-2014 at 05:51 PM.
    -Matt

Boolit Master
    Matt,

My 7x57R bore dimensions are .277"/.284". Do you recommend Option 2? I'm still trying to get a copy of the reamer drawing.

Thanks,

Tony

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch4122 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NYBushBro View Post
    Is it fair game to call this design the 'Spanish cruise missile'?ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!!!! Where did you come up with that? Are you trying to kill this Group Buy just when it's getting started? Any comparison between this design and that unbalanced, ill conceived 6.5 abortion is an insult.
    The same can be said from your reply in red. There is a current GB going on for the 6.5 Cruise Missile. Are you trying to defame it????

Boolit Master
    Put me down for a 2 cav. aluminum for now..
    I'll give you the size later on..
    Thanks

HONCHO EMERITUS

See post #13.
    Last edited by Dutch4122; 05-08-2014 at 03:19 PM.
    -Matt

Boolit Master

Dutch,

A word or two:

Forum member on sticky people: "Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are. The itch passes faster if you don't scratch it."

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch4122 View Post
    So Are you posting on this Group Buy thread in an effort to start an argument and directly interfere with my Group Buy?
    Nope, I'm commenting on what you did to mine.

HONCHO EMERITUS

See post #13.
    Last edited by Dutch4122; 05-08-2014 at 03:19 PM.
    -Matt

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast