Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My heavy 375 mold is here!

Boolit Master

My heavy 375 mold is here!

Let the good times begin! 353 grains of .375 goodness! As cast and one run through a .377 sizer. Tom at Accurate molds creates functional pieces of art. Not sure if a bullet this big would work in a 375 Whelen or not, but one similar to it from the Bull Shop works great in my 375 Ruger.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	375 Cast.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	103156

Boolit Master
    Looks good Dave! A well balanced design and good clean casting. I am confident it will shoot!

Boolit Master
    Looks like a heavy for sure. What are you looking at for velocities for the 375 whelen as well as the 375 Ruger?

Boolit Master
    As of right now I have no 375 Whelen, just a couple of friends who do. In the 375 Ruger, I am looking to get 2000 to 2100 fps, a bullet this heavy won't need speed to do the job. A wise friend taught me this long ago in a land far away with his 50 Alaskan on a Winchester 1886, I have applied that with everything except my 300 Win Mag and it has worked well.

Boolit Master
    Daniel,
    Thank you once again for the inspiration, of course if you hadn't gotten me hooked I would be a steadier customer.

Boolit Master
    Learn well Grasshopper!

Boolit Master
    I continue to try, always working to get better, which is why I turn to you for advice.

Looks good. The sectional density should be enough to get through any animal, even with 1600 - 1800 fps muzzle velocity.

Boolit Master
    Nice Oryx missile. Now you just need a tag.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master
    I know, didn't get drawn this year, maybe next. I did however draw a cow elk tag, and so I am looking forward to that. Let me know if you want to try a few, I know you like the PP, but if you decide to switch.

Boolit Master
    IMHO this would be great in the 375 whelen, would love to try it in mine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by High Desert Hunter View Post
    As of right now I have no 375 Whelen, just a couple of friends who do. In the 375 Ruger, I am looking to get 2000 to 2100 fps, a bullet this heavy won't need speed to do the job. A wise friend taught me this long ago in a land far away with his 50 Alaskan on a Winchester 1886, I have applied that with everything except my 300 Win Mag and it has worked well.
    I figured not and doubted that longer shots out past 200 were going to be a steady diet for these big slugs. 2000-2100 fps will still bark though on your end.

Boolit Master
    No doubt about that. Originally my idea was to cast so I could enjoy increased trigger time with my 375, as shooting J bullets gets spendy quick, I have around 800 jacketed on hand, mostly Hornady discontinued solids, but still wanted the cast for my enjoyment. Now, some people would ask why did I go with such a large bullet if I am just looking for plinking time? I would answer, mostly because I don't have many brains, partly because I shoot heavy for caliber in just about everything I cast for, and of course there is the dream of taking a big game animal with one of my creations. I figure a 350 grain 375 bullet will shoot end to end through anything I'm likely to take a poke at, I don't think it will need a lot of velocity to do it either, the only reason I am looking at the 2K FPS range is simply for trajectory. I know a 325-335 grain 45 caliber bullet will hammer through 40+ inches of wet newsprint when fired at 1450-1500 FPS from my 454 Casull, I imagine the smaller diameter 375 will easily outdo that. I had originally planned on something in the 300 to 320 grain range, but Bull Shop had to ruin me with his 360 grain behemoth, couple that with great groups at 50 yards, and the fire was lit.

Boolit Master
    With the 360gn MM design I was able to get close to 2200 fps from the 375 Whelen and slightly over 2400 fpr with the H&H and 375 Ruger.
    The one caribou bull I shot with the 375 Whelen with this load had his horns literally blown off.
    I was hunting with iron sights and it was about too dark to see the sights when some caribou came filtering through the trees. I pointed at each one as they went by but couldn't see the sights. One nice bull stopped in the middle of a small frozen pond and so being surrounded by white I could see the sights and took the shot. I aimed at the shoulder because as I said it was still tough seeing a finer aiming point. At the shot the caribou lunged forward and was out of sight. Walking over to investigate when I got to where the caribou stood when shot I found two very nice shed antlers and initially thought I had a bonus to my trophy bull. A few steps further lay my caribou bull bald as a melon. When that big boolit hit the bulls body convulsed violently enough to throw off both antlers. The exit wound on the off shoulder was the size of a hard ball and both shoulders were smashed. I cant remember for sure what the alloy was but most likely it was quenched COWW. A big hammer indeed!

Boolit Master
    Looks like my 375 with shorter lube grooves for an extra 20g of lead. What number is that?

I'm shooting the 325g version to 400y slightly over MOA at 2100FPS. The 270s dont give performance like that over 200y so good for you.

Boolit Buddy
    Attached is my Accurate 35cal mold. Playing with the 250grainer from Accurate, I am having trouble getting that big flat metplat to feed thru any of my bolts. The 280gr and 210gr feed beautifully in everything I have put it thru. Do you have any issues with feeding that 353gr?

Boolit Buddy
    High Desert Hunter,

What could I trade you to get a dozen or so of those sexy 353's to try in my 375GP.

Boolit Master
    PM me your address, and I will try to get some to you as quickly as I can.
    As far as feeding, I have had no issues with feeding in my Ruger.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by High Desert Hunter View Post
    I know, didn't get drawn this year, maybe next. I did however draw a cow elk tag, and so I am looking forward to that. Let me know if you want to try a few, I know you like the PP, but if you decide to switch.
    Well I'll just take you up on that.
    What unit for cow?
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master
    Unit 34, just up the hill from me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast