MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a 357

Thinking about a 357

I reload for .45acp, .223, and 308. I currently cast my own boolits for .45acp only.

I'm getting the itch for a .357, and am considering a Ruger GP100 or Taurus 627 in 4-inch. From a cast boolit perspective does anyone have any input?

Boolit Buddy
    Look for an older Smith.

Boolit Master
    A Ruger Blackhawk just screams .357 Magnum.

The old S&W N-framed Model 28, though pricey, screams a bit less.

Boolit Grand Master

For new production you can't go wrong w/ a 586-8. Yes, it has a lock but they don't bother me.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 04-23-2014 at 07:53 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    For new production you can't go wrong w/ a 586-6. Yes, it has a lock but they don't bother me.
    Got me a 4" 586. It's pulling night stand duty at my mothers. I really want it back. I may have to go buy her a Taurus 85 or something so I an get it back. I also have a GP100 on the way if my dealer can find one.

Super Moderator

+1 on an older S&W if you can find one. I have a 686+. It's a 7 shot that I have had tuned, and I love it. It shoots cast beautifully.

Boolit Buddy
    as far as im concerned stick with the main 3, colt, S&W, Ruger. BUt if you want it affordable Ruger or Smith.

Boolit Grand Master

You might want to check out the new S&W Model 66 they have brought back this year. K-frame size and balance. 6 shot 357 magnum, adjustable sights and a pinned user changeable front sight,
    Those K framed 357's are sweet. It will have " the lock" but if I had some disposable income I would sure get one. It's been 30 years since the last ones were made.
    Gary...likes K-frames

Boolit Master

Ruger or Smith.

Which ever appeals to you.

They are both excellent.

I was a DEVOUT S&W fan from 1960 to 2011. Then I bought a Ruger GP 100 and WOW. I was converted.
    I think it is every bit as good and accurate as any Smith and stronger to boot.

Do not even THINK about anything else.

PS. The single action Rugers are lots of fun. I have owned at least a dozen of them over the years.
    Unless you want to shoot Cowboy Action or hunt with it, don't do it. They are much too slow to load and reload.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    Personally, I prefer a blue S&W in 6" bbl. Buy one at a fair price and it should only go up in value. The 586 is a bit sturdier than the model 19s if you plan to load stouter loads. Plenty of good molds available for the .357s.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

The GP 100 I once had wasn't a good fit for me. One cannot argue with the fact these are very durable. I've had good luck with K Frames and 4-inch barrels. Believe or not, I also shot a newer Taurus model 66 with my cast .38 Special reloads very well. It always seems to come down to cost for many. While the S&W revolvers can be costly the GP 100 is catching up in price around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Poygan View Post
    Personally, I prefer a blue S&W in 6" bbl. Buy one at a fair price and it should only go up in value. The 586 is a bit sturdier than the model 19s if you plan to load stouter loads. Plenty of good molds available for the .357s.
    The L Frame is a lot sturdier than the Model 19. While I have not seen anything about this myself, there have been reports of Hodgdon 110, 125 grain bullets and the Model 19 to be a bad combination. Something to research.

Love Life
    I recommend a Model 28, but be aware that the short cylinder may give you issues if loading certain boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by weasel 21 View Post
    Look for an older Smith.
    +1 Look for a S&W pre lock model 66 which is a stainless K frame. The N frame is the next size up, and is also a great gun with the 28 and is also called the "Highway Patrolman". Either one will be better than money in the bank. Another great N frame is the 27, the later day model of the pistol which started the 357 magnum cartridge, the "Registered Magnum".

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I recommend a Model 28, but be aware that the short cylinder may give you issues if loading certain boolits.
    Learned something today. I didn't know that. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...d=1#post667271

I have a very nice Colt King Cobra 6" SS

Very slick action and trigger.

My brother has a 4" GP100, great gun as well.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

1 like these will work !

GP100man

Quote Originally Posted by GP100man View Post
    1 like these will work !

So,,,,,,I'm guessing you like Rugers.

All joking aside, I also have been hearing the siren song of the 357. it doesn't help I was at an auction last summer and bought around 1000 158 grain, Keith style semi wadcutters. I think I gave 10$ for all of them. I miked them at .358" if I recall correctly.
    I've inherited around 300 pieces of brass, so all I need now is a pistola...

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Quote Originally Posted by weasel 21 View Post
    Look for an older Smith.
    If you are interested I have a friend who has told me today that he is selling off his S&W collection ( These are nice old guns & they shoot very well) I would love to buy some but the funds are not there.
    I'm still waiting for him to give me prices
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Look for a deal on a used S&W 686. Stainless version of the 586.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast