Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: The thread about smells, fumes and danger (or the lack of) from baking PC

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.

The thread about smells, fumes and danger (or the lack of) from baking PC

Some say it doesn't smell. Mine smells like a pair of polyester pants that have been left on the hearth, too close to the fire. It's not a smoke that I can see, but a strong smell of hot plastic, so I keep my distance during the baking time.
    I would not use my oven for anything else due to the smell and I'm sure it would bond to whatever I was cooking.
    I do know that the glass door on my toaster oven is now opaque from the fumes produced while curing, and I do not spray near the oven and haven't spilled any powder on the door. There is a thin film all around the inside of the toaster and again, I do not know it to be toxic at all, but I would recommend a separate oven for baking powdercoat.
    There is a lot of interest in this lately so I thought I would start a new thread and we could share our thoughts on how/why our oven does or does not smell when curing the PC. I do not find it to be a deterrent to powdercoating, since I do my spraying and curing outdoors anyway.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I fully agree not to use the house oven to cook the PC just the fact of putting lead in is not a good ideal even for heat treatment. As far as the smell I bake out in my shop while I am spraying a new tray to go in the smell is noticeable but not bad. Could not say anything about build up since the stoves were used and overspray has been cooked onto the glass. As a disclaimer I also cast without gloves and smelt without a leather suit I am a rebel.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Use a fan to keep fumes away.

Boolit Master

I spray outside. The HF powders definitely have an odor.

Boolit Master

New to the art of pc'ing but did notice that using HF red there was no odor/vapor or anything but using All Powder Paint there was an odor as well as a vapor, almost like steam, coming from the oven and not dissipating till 6-8" above the oven. Made me think there was something in the oven itself creating that till I realized I had already used it several times so it couldn't be that but it did have a distinct plastic smell.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master

Well, if/when it stops raining in Southern Oregon, I'm gonna construct a "spray booth" that can be used outside. I have been using a cardboard "booth" about 36"x36"x42"W and newspaper on the benchtops, shelves, etc. but it isn't enough. The overspray, even though directed to the door 2 ft. away with two fans, still gets everywhere in the shop.

I've only had one powder that I could detect any "fumes/odors" from while baking. I believe it was powder from Prisim Powders, but I can't be sure as I've don a few colors in the last few weeks. Don't seem to be a big deal, I turn on the fans, open the door and windows...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

My oven stunk up the basement when I "burned it off" as new.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	103103
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/cust...pic31753_1.gif
    "They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm." Dorothy Parker

I just picked up a nice little used convection oven at the thrift store for 9.99 (its a DeLonghi, just like my regular toaster oven I use for pan lubing) and I was going to use it in my boolit casting/reloading room (ok its my storage shed...) should I take it outside to do the baking? or will putting up a fan or 2 work?

Dont want to breath any toxic fumes....

Doc

Boolit Grand Master

If the packaging does not give directions or warnings, you can download the Materials Safety Data sheet from either the website where you ordered the product or the manufacturer's website. The product is designed to be applied and baked. There are directions for use and safety produced to support that, and they should be fairly easy to find and apply. I personally do not think that melting polyester is that harmful, just smelly, but I do wander off a bit while it is curing. There are always plenty of 20 minute chores around here to occupy me until the next load is ready.

Boolit Master

RP,

As a former Corporate Safety Trainer and Machinist, shame on your REBEL ATTITUDE.

I would get corporate WORLDWIDE REPORTS.

No Gloves/Leather = No Fear.

Shameful for a MODERATOR/LEADER.

One Slip, One Mistake and they could be calling you, DISABLED FOR LIFE.

Go visit a hospital BURN UNIT if you have one close, then look into a mirror.

Imagine yourself looking like some of the very unfortunate ones, then be a REBEL.

Would your loved ones or others turn and look away rather than look at your new features.

RANT OFF!

BE SAFE MY FRIEND, NOT SORRY, ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING WITH SAFETY PROTOCOLS.

Boolit Bub

I guess I'm a rebel too!

John

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Moonman I understand your concern. As far as casting with out gloves I would say more then half do as far as smelting with a leather suit on I say it was more like 90 percent do not have one. Were working with lead a toxic material in its own right I am sure everyone one here would break some kind of rule if the government stepped in to watch us. I was posting my thoughts on PC and why I would not use my stove that I cook my food in but also a note that I am only a novice in the field and my thoughts are not one of the ten commandments.
    Last edited by RP; 04-25-2014 at 10:39 PM.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

http://www.powdercoating.org/19/Our-Industry/FAQ#11
    Is powder hazardous waste?

Practically all powder coatings are not hazardous waste by definition of the Resources Conservation and Recovery Act regulations (RCRA). Disposal methods for waste powder are the same as for non-hazardous wastes, in most states. However, there may be some exceptions and your powder supplier should be contacted regarding proper disposal. Always renew disposal needs with the local authority having jurisdiction over your facility location.
    http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/workplace...g-cop-2013.pdf
    Powder Coating

high risk chemicals are used in surface preparation including chromates
    and hydrofluoric acid

risk of exposure to airborne particulates and static electricity

spray guns are heavier and more difficult to handle
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    From what I've been reading here, I'd definitely suggest everyone doing this use a resperator and any other means available to avoid exposure. Fumes are one thing, flammability another and then there is resperable dust, which you may never get out of your lungs! Also, kids, spouses and pets could be exposed to something dangerous as well. Have fun but be careful!

Boolit Grand Master

bump to the front, since questions are being posted from newcomers who might not have seen this thread.

I don't sniff glue or anything else nor do I stand around sniffing acetone or PC baking fumes. My exposure to fumes from either process for 400-500 boolits is less than 30 seconds total. I also recommend a cheap throw-away painter's mask when using PC powder - mine is RED on the outside & white on the inside! Yes, even DT. I have some full coverage safety glasses I will start using also. If you can't figure out how to avoid the fumes, etc., you probably shouldn't be shooting either.
    Of course ALL utensils related to casting & coating are contaminated. Period!
    Whatever!

Middle America, Missouri was moved to east of I-435
    Gentlemen and Ladies,

I have a very poor sense of smell. I do all casting and baking/curing outside. But, I can see.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	106629

To this point, I had been coating mostly with PBTP Neon Yellow (I do like the color but I get thin spots with the pigment).

There must be something cooking off from the powder.

Enjoy, while you can.

OSOK

Boolit Grand Master

Excellent example, oldpapps.

Boolit Master

I don't know how it smells. I leave the room and come back when there done. Although, just like casting I have the toaster oven in a well ventilated area.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt