RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: 45 auto shot loads

Boolit Master

45 auto shot loads

I have made a proto type of a shot load using brass from the 30-06 family, the shell functions in my 1911, question is the star crimping of the cartridge, the metal there is very thick, will it open OK on firing without any undo pressures, I'm thinking of loading with 5 or 6grs of b-eye with a card over the powder and fill the case with #8 or 9 shot, the star crimp should pack the shot quite firm. Hope I've made myself clear, any suggestions would be appreaciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

Boolit Master
    I'm no expert but I'd be surprised if dangerous pressures would be an issue as the projectiles won't completely seal the barrel.

What about inside neck turning to thin out the brass if it is an issue?

I'd love to see pics of this, by the way. How do you do the star crimp?

Boolit Master
    My interest in this is because I do a lot if floating and a snake gun would very likely come in handy. However it's a wet environment and a lot of homemade shot shells I wouldn't trust to keep my powder dry.

Boolit Master
    This may be of some help to you:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...s-%28My-Way%29

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ht=shot+shells

Grumpa is pretty much the guy to go to about .45 shot shell questions.
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by SWANEEDB View Post
    I have made a proto type of a shot load using brass from the 30-06 family, the shell functions in my 1911, question is the star crimping of the cartridge, the metal there is very thick, will it open OK on firing without any undo pressures, I'm thinking of loading with 5 or 6grs of b-eye with a card over the powder and fill the case with #8 or 9 shot, the star crimp should pack the shot quite firm. Hope I've made myself clear, any suggestions would be appreaciated. Thanks in advance for any help.
    If I were you I would steer clear of the star crimp. I have the tool for that and the results weren't anything to write home about. If you click on the link that 44Vaquero was nice enough to post I have everything laid out for folks. My final post #134 describes my final testing results. You can use B-Eye, but in both my 1911's they failed to eject, after switching to 231 using the same weight they functioned flawlessly.
    Last edited by GRUMPA; 04-23-2014 at 03:58 PM.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Now I have something to do Sunday if it rains. Thanks for the link.

Boolit Buddy
    I have put together a web page with everything I can find about the .45 shotshell including some history.

http://avr-developers.com/45shotshell/

Boolit Master
    What if you loaded up some shot shells like in that thread grumpa outlined, and then dipped the end in paraffin for a little extra moisture protection?

I did this just last month.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...highlight=Shot

30-06 brass does not have as deep of an extractor groove as 45 acp pick from the 308 family.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post
    What if you loaded up some shot shells like in that thread grumpa outlined, and then dipped the end in paraffin for a little extra moisture protection?
    I've used fingernail polish as a moisture barrier before, seemed to work OK and it even comes in pink.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I did this just last month.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...highlight=Shot

30-06 brass does not have as deep of an extractor groove as 45 acp pick from the 308 family.
    That's correct, and the 308 extraction groove is wider as well. If 06 were to be used the extractor would get banged up.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

Boolit Master
    I always thought 30-06 was just longer than 308. How come M1 garands are sometimes converted by a chamber insert if the case head isn't the same? How does that work?

the extractor groove on 308/7.62x51 is a product improved .30'06 case head design, it's the same diameter but was made for more positive extraction in machine gun use. The Garand rifle extractor will be able to grip as well as it did on the '06 cases.
    .30'06

7.62x51mm/308

.45 ACP
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    the extractor groove on 308/7.62x51 is a product improved .30'06 case head design, it's the same diameter but was made for more positive extraction in machine gun use. The Garand rifle extractor will be able to grip as well as it did on the '06 cases.
    .30'06

7.62x51mm/308

.45 ACP
    That last one looks more like a 10mm. The 45 ACP has a very long extractor groove. You can turn a little bit off of the web of a 06 case on a lathe and make them work better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    That last one looks more like a 10mm. The 45 ACP has a very long extractor groove. You can turn a little bit off of the web of a 06 case on a lathe and make them work better.
    You will learn that not all dimensional drawings are proportional and should have noticed the diameter of the projectile as 11.48mm. And as far as looks more like a 38 super in my mind, but it's not - it's a 45 ACP.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

In Remembrance
    I traded a member some 45 win mag cases and his intent was to make shotshells for 45acp, but I don't know how they turned out.

In Remembrance
    I dunno why someone would make those from good brass. When I did this I had 4 5gal buckets of blank 308 and came up with pretty much making something useful from what most consider scrap. I think it worked out rather well in the end, now I know they have what I call a second life.

Annealing Services

I dunno why someone would make those from good brass. When I did this I had 4 5gal buckets of blank 308 and came up with pretty much making something useful from what most consider scrap. I think it worked out rather well in the end, now I know they have what I call a second life.
    All you have to do is never throw anything away. Then you can use all of the split neck brass you collected before you built an annealing machine.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I traded a member some 45 win mag cases and his intent was to make shotshells for 45acp, but I don't know how they turned out.
    Haven't really had a chance to do much with that 45 Mag brass yet. I just received my RCBS shot shell die set after two months of waiting, so one of these rainy days, I'll get to it!
    Jon

Boolit Master

I make the 45ACP shot shells. I use 243 or 270 brass, cut them down then use the RCBS 45ACP forming dies. Trim to length, then cut down 410 shotgun wads. Cap them off with a 35cal brass gas check and crimp it in. It's a pretty effective round and at 30-40', keeps the shot nice and tight.
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

Good use of the search function. Since the last post, before today, in this thread there has been an entire forum just for pistol shotshell loads.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...ds-For-Pistols