MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Carpenter Bee Load

Boolit Master
    WR, what kind of spider was it? I hate black widows!!!!!

Morning all did I start a new page??????
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Vendor Sponsor

Frank It was just a medium sized Brown Spider that the cat was about to eat. You never know if it will make them sick, so I blasted it. The Black Widow I shot the other day took about 3 good hits to splatter it completely.

The cat was kind of miffed, but she was just recovered from eating something else that poisoned her a few months ago which cost us $300 in Vet bills and two weeks of hand feeding and IV water injection to get over.

I need to work on a permanent hanging place for the gun so I can quickly access it in times of need.

The Salt Gun was $50 including shipping and as far as I'm concerned it has already paid for itself. OMMV

This is a completely different level of Vermin Control, and as such, requires Specialized Equipment to deal with effectively.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

The Salt Gun was $50 including shipping and as far as I'm concerned it has already paid for itself. OMMV
    Randy
    You can order them from here for $40 W/Free Shipping.
    http://www.kotulas.com/deals/bugasal...FQkNaQod2SkKtw
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cr2 View Post
    I'm pretty serious about killing carpenter bees around my shop. They bore holes in the fascia boards, and generally undermine the strength of any outside wood. The fly swatter has always been my favorite tool because it's light weight and quick. It swats them out of the air before they know what hit them. Most days I walk out on the deck and wait for them to come check me out. At first they are pretty dumb and hover right in front of me. Problem is, after 8-10 kills they get smarter and stay a few feet out of reach. A few years ago I made a spring loaded wooden gun that shot a light weight disk with about 50 nails protruding from it. It wasn't completely successful, but I did manage to impale a few bees with it.

My latest weapon of choice is low tech shotshells in my 357 magnum revolver. I use my usual 38 special powder load, pack it down with a wad over it, then add 75 gr. of #9 bird shot covered by another wad. A rolled up piece of paper surrounds the shot in the case. After crimping the case, I drip 5 drops of wax from a burning candle on top to seal it all up. The wax runs under the crimp so the ball of wax is captured making a pretty neat package. The picture below shows the pattern I'm getting at 8 ft. I still use the fly swatter when I can...those are freebies. But when they are out of range, it's well worth the nickel it costs to shoot them down.

Yeah, I know...there's something that's just wrong about blasting bees out of the sky with a 357 magnum revolver....but it sure is fun!

Guess you'll have to tell us just what's wrong with blasting bees/wasps out of the sky with a .357????
    Now load one with wadcutters & it'd be tricky!

After giving the Bug-A-Salt some deeper thought. I figured it would be cool to have when I BBQ on my patio at home. House fly's are bad as we all know when the BBQ pit gets cranked up.
    I could have had a blast with it today, actually a lot of blasts when we had boiled Crawfish for lunch, "Crayfish for you Yanks".

Not long ago several family members made fun of me when I ordered a dozen fly swatters from Amazon. I had tried to find fly swatters at hardware stores, grocery stores and dollar stores. The seem to be almost non existent.
    I ordered to old fashion ones that were wire mesh with wire handle. They didn't hold up as well as I remember when I was a kid but, that was a long time ago and the newer old fashion swatters just don't cut it.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

I shoot my Sheridan .22 pump pellet gun loaded muzzle loader style. Small paper wad in first, small dipper of tumbler media, small over shot wad. 5 pumps seems to work just fine. I even shoot 'em out of the air some times. The problem is that now there is tumbler media scattered all over every thing in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
    I love the Black Flag bee/wasp killer spray, it kills them in mid flight. I don't know what type of toxin it uses, but until this type of stuff came out, I've never seen an insecticide work so quickly.
    Try checking the antidote for accidental ingestion. If it says atropine, then the toxin is NERVE GAS, diluted, but still nerve gas. Found this out about 30 years ago when talking to an army bio chemist. Nasty stuff.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

In Remembrance

A friend of mine let his five year old son shoot flies with a salt gun. He turned his back for a moment and the kid popped his little brother with salt. From the howls it brought forth it probably hurt.

Boolit Master
    Salt in a wound would hurt, bet Dad didn't do that again....
    Heh When Down South BBQs he could salt the meat with his salt gun????

Boolit Master
    Wohhhh a day without a post,,,
    Morning everyone. Guess I'll start it off for today.
    It's sprinkling here...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank V View Post

It's sprinkling here...
    Salt?
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    I shoot my Sheridan .22 pump pellet gun loaded muzzle loader style. Small paper wad in first, small dipper of tumbler media, small over shot wad. 5 pumps seems to work just fine. I even shoot 'em out of the air some times. The problem is that now there is tumbler media scattered all over every thing in the garage.
    Found this on You Tube when researching Salt guns.
    If you want to use your Pellet Rifle, this is a good idea.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-u5mPDdQRw
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Down South View Post
    Salt?

Naw water!!!

Boolit Master

I told one of my customers about this last year. He overnighted a bug a salt. We played with it a little the next day. He thought it would be a good idea to shoot me in the leg from about a foot away. It stings.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    I told one of my customers about this last year. He overnighted a bug a salt. We played with it a little the next day. He thought it would be a good idea to shoot me in the leg from about a foot away. It stings.

I'll bet get an electric cattle prod & zap him in the hind end. They sting too plus you get a nice zzzzzztt when you do.

Boolit Master

Good idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Down South View Post
    Found this on You Tube when researching Salt guns.
    If you want to use your Pellet Rifle, this is a good idea.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-u5mPDdQRw
    I'm definitely going to try this
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Vendor Sponsor

Got a Mosquito last night. Probably one of those ZIKA ones! Never know for sure as there was nothing left to autopsy.

He made the mistake of landing on a light in the living room. pooft gone.

Very hot here today,,, Hiding in the house.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Good thing you're not in California. There, you have to retreat 'til your back is against the Pacific ocean or the Sierras and then lay down precisely within a chalk outline.
    I'm thinking you have to find where they're coming from and kill them there, but that's just me.
    Sent from my computer using my fingers.

Vendor Sponsor

I am in CA and I do have my back against the Pacific Ocean, laying in the Chalk Outline... No room left here, visitors go home! Stay Home!

Randy