Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Carpenter Bee Load

Boolit Buddy
    Think I'll try salt in my air rifle.

Boolit Master
    Here is some additional information!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/arch...p/t-30536.html
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    He he, i'm glad i am not the only one who does this. POW!
    lab

Boolit Master

My load for rattlesnakes is very similar. The differences are that I use .45 Colt and don't seal the top wad but roll crimp it. The bottom wad is teh black foam from a grocery store meat tray. The top wad is a .45 caliber gas check. It's deadly on snakes to 15 feet.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Instead of lead shot you can use the very fine pasta that is used for salads. Acini di-pepe
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master
    Been doing the same thing for years. A Lee scoop of 3-4 grains of mixed up mystery powder, (floor sweepings, leftovers, etc) in a .45 Long Colt case, primer hole enlarged so the primers don't back out. A styrofoam wad on top of the powder, then corn meal, corn cob, or ground walnut hulls, then a larger styrofoam wad on top to hold it all in place. Shootin' in a replica Peacemaker, it's deadly on them buggers out to about 6'. Hit dead center they disappear in a yellow mist. Great fun. (Color the bases to keep 'em seperate from your normal loads. Oh, and not as easy as you think. Sobers ya up real quick to your shooting/aiming/reaction time skills!!!!
    Deadly on carpenter bees, don't hurt windows, house, siding.(Unless you do point blank!, never tried it!)
    Side benefit is that anyone driving past sees this nut out there waving a gun around and shooting it off.
    I haven't been bothered by Jehovah Witnesses since I started doing this.................. Heh Heh
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Boolit Mold
    Glad to see so many have already thought of this. I really like the idea of using something other than lead shot. I've got some walnut shell, and am gonna try rice and pasta. This will give me something to do when I follow my wife into the grocery store. Also gonna try reducing the powder way down to 1 or 2 gr.

Boolit Master

I use grits over 2gr. of clays , has enuff to reseat the primer .

I think I`m gonna try drilling a few cases & try a shotgun primer by itself .

PS: with grits, at 12" from a painted facia board it did`nt ruffel the paint ! Don`t ask how I know ! LOL

GP
    GP100man

Try something like cornmeal. I've wiped out whole paper wasp nests with some bullseye and cornmeal, wax over mouth of case. Course I let 'em have all six as I didn't want any escaping to sting me. Maybe plastic pellets (small balls)?
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Grand Master

this board and site sucks. Everytime I make plans for the weekend along comes a thread like this with tons of interesting things guys have done and my weekend is shot again.

Walnut media and wax? Seed tapioca? Uncooked rice? Cornmeal? Grits?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Daisy lever action bb gun works well on red hornets. They blow up real good. Lol.

Lots of fun on a slow Saturday afternoon.

Boolit Buddy

We used to catch them when I was a kid by knocking them down with a broom. The other day I was at the reconstructed fort at Wilderness Road State Park, and there were white faced carpenter bees everywhere. One of the female interpreters (re-enactor) was clearly alarmed by them but I showed her they can't sting. She thought they were bumble bees, but I told her to look for the white face, and that bumble bees had a black face and can sting. I have some around my outbuildings but I've never tried killing them.
    INFIDEL

Quote Originally Posted by N4AUD View Post
    We used to catch them when I was a kid by knocking them down with a broom. The other day I was at the reconstructed fort at Wilderness Road State Park, and there were white faced carpenter bees everywhere. One of the female interpreters (re-enactor) was clearly alarmed by them but I showed her they can't sting. She thought they were bumble bees, but I told her to look for the white face, and that bumble bees had a black face and can sting. I have some around my outbuildings but I've never tried killing them.
    Hummm..... I had one sting me.... maybe he was an infiltrator.....
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

Boolit Grand Master

No wonder the bee population is in decline. What with no daily limit, and no season you guys are wipeing them out.
    I prefer to let them pollinate my garden and fruit trees.
    Gary

Boolit Mold
    The honey bee population is in crisis....not the carpenter bees.

Boolit Bub
    This is very cool, going to have to put my Mr Miyagi chopsticks down and load up some 38 or 357 for one of my Wiley Clapp GP100's

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mr_Miyagi_catches_fly_with_chopsticks.gif 
Views:	417 
Size:	918.9 KB 
ID:	103122

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    No wonder the bee population is in decline. What with no daily limit, and no season you guys are wipeing them out.
    I prefer to let them pollinate my garden and fruit trees.
    Gary
    I will have to check the ODNR regs to see what the legal season on them is, plus bag limit.
    My dog seems to enjoy them. He is also not the brightest bulb in the pack......

Wait, shouldn't this thread be in the Hunting with CB's section?

Banned

Well a great reminder for me! I had a few "shot" loads all ready to go!

First I took the kids BB gun out and killed two after about 20 shots. It was fun, but then I wanted to get proficient.

Out came the 357mag and pop pop pop, thinned it out quick!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by N4AUD View Post
    I believe the males can't sting, but the females can.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast