Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun shop for the bold

Gun shop for the bold

One of my local gun shops is getting quite a bit of negative reviews online. I'm pretty sure it's just thin skin... but either way the reviews are pretty entertaining.... I bought powder and molds from the guy.... other than slightly higher prices he is alright.

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/lo...views&socpid=1
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Love Life
    It's easy to tell that a few of those reviews are from the same person.

The way these people are describing the place, you would think they had just shopped at Flatwoods in North Carolina.

Sounds like the typical gun shop around here. Owners are usually older grumpy, can't be wrong, msrp is my cost, you don't know nothing type of guys.

I say buy where you feel comfortable, I sure did and have bought over 13 firearms from the same FFL. Saved a bunch of money and didn't have a condescending a$$ making me feel uncomfortable.
    1,000,000 peso man

Boolit Master

It's funny how some people are, or how they become. I've seen some businesses run by people who are cranky and bitter, but have a few loyal customers who always stick up for them. It's one thing to have friends or family like that (don't we all?), but to successfully run a business you really do need to be nice to your customers.

There's a gun shop a little like that where I used to live (Eugene, OR); not necessarily trashy hoarders, just run by know-it-all jerks with attitude. How they stay in business I do not know.

On the other hand is a small local shop on the other side of the highway there, that opened up a couple years ago. The owner is a super nice guy, cheerful and respectful towards everyone that walks in, and seems to really be putting in the time and effort needed to make a small business work. That's the way it should be.

There's a local store down by where i work. I've bought some reloading stuff, ammo, and 3 guns. Dad has bought 2 guns. and between my friends maybe 5 more. Dad's retired LEO and has been in and out of this shop for 20+ years... and he still follows us around like we're gonna steal something. He's a pretty nice guy but he's hard of hearing. so when people that don't know him come in they get super offended.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Located just outside of Norfolk Naval Base makes me wonder how sober some of those posters were.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Banned

I have been to this gunshop and the reviews are right on. We were having a good conversation until my sleeve slid up and he saw my tattoos then he became a real pain and more or less threatened me if i didn't leave.

Andy

I had a little outdoor goods shop near me that was advertising "Going out of Business" (for the second year in a row). His advertisement said 20-50% off, so I figured it was worth a Sunday drive to see what he had for reloading equipment. His wife was really nice older lady and was eager to get the stuff sold as it was in a section of their home that they had converted for the business. I tried to feel the husband out for what prices would be, and asked about the price on a RCBS Powder Measure Stand. I knew it wasn't going to be good, when he had to get a vendor book out. For an easy $35 that stand could have been mine--just 25% over MSRP. When I told him I would pass, he got very confrontational, asking how much I'd pay for it, and I knew I should have shut my mouth but said $15, and he told me he wasn't going to give it away. Wonder if he'll be having a going out-of-business sale again this year...
    My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=novalty

Boolit Grand Master

The one shop I frequent has some less than stellar reviews and rightfully so. A lot of them stem from the wait times for the indoor range if you're not a "premium" member. And the rest are typical high price and rude counter people reviews. The reviews go back five years so you'd think the owner would wake up at some point. But they're really the only store in that area so they get away w/ it.

Boolit Grand Master

I just checked a local G S for a Gallery of guns deal.

MSRP is $504.00 and his OTD totals $594.00

Down the road a bit to where I bought my latest,the price would be $421.00 OTD and he welcomes you in, takes the time to answer all questions and I do not feel like I am bothering him by daring to enter his store unlike the closer one mentioned above.

Guess where my money goes?

He will also take the time to draw you a map to where the fish are hitting in the area even tho he doesn't have any fishing items.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post

He will also take the time to draw you a map to where the fish are hitting in the area even tho he doesn't have any fishing items.
    thats worth giving him business right there! some valuable info.

Vendor Sponsor

I didn't click on the link, but the tone of some of these comments posted, and then the mention of Norfolk, VA, that could only mean ONE dealer..... With the initals of RH. Am I onto the right track here??
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jakec View Post
    thats worth giving him business right there! some valuable info.
    Shame on me for forgetting that he is going to call me when his next load of powder arrives.

Well worth the extra time to drive thru the countryside and seeing an advertisement at a drive in from the 60s.

Yes he does business LIKE IT USED TO BE.

I once went to an indoor range in Manchester NH (BEFORE JLM bought it) and the then owner looked at me and said "...you going to shoot that piece of sh*t gun in here?". It was a S&W 76 9mm submachine gun.....not exactly a ***.....I was there only because they allowed full auto at the range.
    I did my shooting and never went back until the range was sold. Since then I have bought a number of machine guns, SBRs, AOW's and supressors from the new owner. THANKS JIM!
    In the retail business, if you are not a nice guy and helpful, you are doomed. His time is coming.....don't worry about that.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Banned

I learned a while ago, whenever some one asks me how much I would pay for such and such, I just reply, "I'm sorry, I don't price other peoples stuff for sale."

Boolit Grand Master

I'm going to cruise to Norfolk this weekend just to check this place out. Those reviews seem a little "fishy" to me. Seriously, he wouldn't sell a Sherpa Holster unless you were police? WT...
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

I was in that shop maybe fifteen years ago. He was no different then, you were doing him a favor for being there and he didn't appreciate the favor. I am surprised he's still there. It must be a retirement business and he owns the building??
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I googled up his shop and there are other sites where the reviews are the same, then went to look at a street view, not a quality place/building in my estimation.

I might get along fine tho, I have no tats.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I'm lucky as are many gun owners as we have here in No. Indiana one of the best privately owned gun shops I've ever done business with in my 50+ years of buying guns. Super friendly, non pushy, knowledgeable sales clerks, discounted prices, fantastic inventory, just a super place to do business.

Only downside is they carry no reloading supplies.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    I find it quite funny that a retailer abuses his customers.Reminds me of Basil Fawlty at Faulty towers
    Farty Towels
    Tarty fowels.
    I like a good laugh.It would certainly make a good television show.

John Cleese plays Basil and is the most obnoxious hotel owner ever.His wife cybil Keeps him in check.