WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Gift

Banned

Great Gift

Yesterday I went to my grandfather's house like I do every Monday, while there I asked about borrowing his 1940 Remington 141 Gamemaster in 35 Rem because I thought I may be testing some brass for Grumpa.

I remember him telling me about this firearm, it was his grandfather's, which makes the rifle my Great Great Grandfather's... as a kid I remember the stories of GG grampa shooting deer to support the family and being able to hit running deer. Gramps always gets that far away look when he talks about his grandfather and the tag along he was as a kid...

This is the same rifle as a 12 year old I carried and could barely reach the pump as I trailed gramps through the woods in search of whitetails. I have never shot a deer with it but it holds fond memories with me.

So he brings it down and says "This rifle does me no good sitting in the cabinet, take it home you can have it"

I damn near cried, here it is:

Moderator Emeritus

What an awsome gift.....you are truly blessed.....be sure to pass it on and keep it going......

Boolit Buddy
    That's one to cherish for a lifetime and more. Thanks for the story 338.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

A true keeper!!!
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    That is really cool! That rifle is definitely a keeper!

In Remembrance

Dam near? I WOULD have. Nice one there 338.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Master
    A very special rifle.

I've never seen they cartridge headstamp in the receiver like that. Was that common at one point, maybe something smiths did as part of conversion work?

Cool rifle and sentimental value to boot. I probably would have had a tear, er uh piece of grit show up in my eye also.
    Sully

Boolit Master

That made me tear up a little just reading it. Your a very lucky man
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Banned

I shot it today as well, using the 35-200-FN and a dose of H-4198 and at 100 yds held a 3-4 inch group, I am happy as a camper!

Banned

The deer this rifle has shot, and the stories it would tell.

Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post
    A very special rifle.

I've never seen they cartridge headstamp in the receiver like that. Was that common at one point, maybe something smiths did as part of conversion work?
    It was common with that model rifle, with the 25,30,32 and 35 remington cartridges.

Boolit Grand Master

Those family hierlooms are way more important than what weve bought. Especially if there are stories that go along with them. Remember every ding and scratch has a story behind it.

I think I would have cried my eyes out. The only thing I have of either of my Grand dads, is an odd pair of cuff links that don't mach. And a broken garden Tiller. My dad broke it and gave it too me.

Banned

I have mixed feelings about it, I want it to be *just* like it is but at the same time I want it reblued and finished like it is off the assembly line, except it keeps all the scratches dents and dings.

Bore slugs out at .3575 and shoots .359 boolits with zero issues, my grandfather had a scope on it, I took it off and asked if the open sights were close. When I shot it at 100 it was dead nuts, still lined in from Great Great Grampa

Banned

I love the 14 and 141 rifles and recently became the owner of a nice 141 in .35 as well. Have yet to shoot it, but I'm sure it'll shoot well (never heard of one doing otherwise).

Great family history with that rifle, I sure hope it makes its way into your great grandson's hands someday.

Boolit Master

Don't touch it. Every bit of worn bluing is from use by your elders. Every scratch and ding could tell a story of adventure. Just use it and any scratches you add will be part of the legacy to be handed down to your heirs.

gmsharps

In Remembrance
    Congrats, I really like my little 30, and may someday get a 35, but I do not know the history. I bought it from an old guy that was selling his dads guns. If it was mine, I would leave it the way it is, PERFECT, I like old guns to look like they were used. lol

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gmsharps View Post
    Don't touch it. Every bit of worn bluing is from use by your elders. Every scratch and ding could tell a story of adventure. Just use it and any scratches you add will be part of the legacy to be handed down to your heirs.

gmsharps

I would do the exact same thing! Guns like that have a value beyond calculation; put it somewhere safe, and pass it along!
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Moderator Emeritus

My dad gave me the single shot 16 gauge he got as a kid when I was 16. 10 years ago I had it fully restored and gave it back as a Christmas present because he had started pheasant hunting again. When he died last summer I got it back and am engraving it then passing it down to a niece or nephew so it is the start of a multi generation gun. I know grandpa used it too for a bit before my dad got it. Just a simple Stevens single shot break open 16 but it is so light that it makes it really fun to use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast