RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm 170 Grain G/C Boolit For the Milsurps. Any Interest?

HONCHO EMERITUS

7mm 170 Grain G/C Boolit For the Milsurps. Any Interest?

BadgerEdd has come up with this design and I have talked with Josh at A.C.E. and he is willing to produce it with four different paired band/nose options which are:

.287" Bands / .276" Nose

.289" Bands / .278" Nose

.291" Bands / .280" Nose

.293" Bands / .282" Nose

This design is for the fat & worn milsurps as well as the commercial guns that leave one scratching his head when the groove/land dimensions are checked. Here's the design, please indicate interest on this thread:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28-170-GCfinal.Jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	102936

Name:	28-170-gcfinalpic.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	102937
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Master

Of course I am interested, maybe even several sizes.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Buddy

Yes, please.

JB
    "He's whittlin' on a piece of wood. I've got a feeling when he stops whittlin', somethin's gonna happen." - Cheyenne, Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)

"When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk." - Tuco, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)

I'm interested .....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch4122 View Post
    BadgerEdd has come up with this design and I have talked with Josh at A.C.E. and he is willing to produce it with four different paired band/nose options which are:

.287" Bands / .276" Nose

.289" Bands / .278" Nose

.291" Bands / .280" Nose

.293" Bands / .282" Nose

This design is for the fat & worn milsurps as well as the commercial guns that leave one scratching his head when the groove/land dimensions are checked. Here's the design, please indicate interest on this thread:

Name:	28-170-gcfinalpic.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	102937
    A little backround on this design. It is loosely based on a discontinued RCBS design. I eliminated one band, added a scraper groove, and tried to design it for use in the much neglected mulsurp barrels. The design as shown "Should" be usable in commercial chambers.

After doing impact slugs on 8 rifles, both commercial and milsurp, I am convinced the ONLY way one can get a good fit is to, at the very least, slug and pin gauge the barrel. An impact slug of the throat or a chamber cast will improve one's chances of getting a bullet that fits his gun.

My 2 cents...

Edd

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Boolit Buddy

I'm in.
    Jim

Boolit Master

Which blocks will these be made in, 4 cavity? Mix cavities for size, like two different sizes?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 94Doug View Post
    Which blocks will these be made in, 4 cavity? Mix cavities for size, like two different sizes?
    I am not going to be the honcho on this GB, but Dutch4122 and I are in contact regularly. At this time, the offerings have not beed decided. That said, I imagine people should exprss their desired material ( aluminium or steel) and the cavity count they would like. That information will help Josh determine the cost of the molds and the interest in what types.

I hope this helps you, Josh, and Dutch.

Edd

HONCHO EMERITUS

Quote Originally Posted by 94Doug View Post
    Josh at A.C.E. has advised me he can produce this design in the following:

Aluminum
    2 cavity = $55
    4 cavity = $100
    6 cavity = $125

Steel
    2 cavity = $100

I do not think it will be practical to expect different diameter cavities in the same block. These molds are going to be produced by orbiting a single size cherrie out to different diameters to cut the desired size cavity. Given the fact that Josh has already agreed to deal with four different band/nose sizes (which means finishing all the gas check shanks separately) I don't think we should overcomplicate the process any more.
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

It's a VERY good idea. There have been writings in the CBE Fouling Shot about very generous 7X57's.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Buddy
    In for a steel mold.

Boolit Master
    Finally a heavy for the 7X57!
    I'll take one for sure...
    Thanks Edd & Dutch..

In Remembrance

By the time this sees daylight all the HS graduations will be over with and I may have a few dollars again. Put me down for a 2 cavity .287" bands / .276" nose aluminum mold.Robert

The little woman read over my shoulder and I must withdraw my order.Robert
    Last edited by Hardcast416taylor; 04-25-2014 at 02:11 PM. Reason: update

Quote Originally Posted by bwgdog View Post
    In for a steel mold.
    Do a little research, ACE uses air craft grade Alum. to make his molds
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne S View Post
    Do a little research, ACE uses air craft grade Alum. to make his molds
    Hmmm?
    Read post #9 Wayne..
    BTW this isn't the first GB where he has used steel..
    Last edited by Nrut; 04-24-2014 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nrut View Post
    Hmmm?
    Read post #9 Wayne..
    BTW this isn't the first GB where he has used steel..
    I stand corrected
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Moderator Emeritus
    Could be interested but ideally for me I'd need 0.289" bands with 0.276" nose.

My rifle is 0.288" on the groove and 0.276" on the bore, the blunt profile would mean that the boolit would seat too far into the case for me with a nose of 0.278" to give me a good groove diameter plus on the bands.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

HONCHO EMERITUS

Looks like we have at least 10 buyers that are interested. I will start the Group Buy thread later today.

Just so that everyone that has responded so far is aware. This Group Buy will remain open until mid-summer, and probably into August. The reason I say this is that I want everybody interested to have enough time to slug bores, check throat length, and check the lands with pin gauges both at the muzzle and throat of their rifles. This may take a while for some to get done, so I wanted them to have time. Josh will order the cherrie well in advance of production time. I would also like enough time to pass in order to maximize the run total for him so that he can get a decent chunk of change for all his hard work.

Glad to see that we are picking up steam here!
    -Matt

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up At last- for the 7x57mm!

Count me in as very interested in this one- yes, I will require some time to slug/measure/test bore- my old #5 Rem Rolling Block in 7x57 has been waiting far too long for a suitable projectile such as this- Aluminum 2Cav will do just fine!
    Thanks for making this happen-
    Chuck 358wcf :

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch4122 View Post
    The reason I say this is that I want everybody interested to have enough time to slug bores, check throat length, and check the lands with pin gauges both at the muzzle and throat of their rifles.
    Matt, My Brazilian M1908 pin gauges at .276 and a bore slug measures .287.

I'm guessing the .289" Bands / .278" Nose would be the correct mould?

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast