MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: 452460 for 35 dollars, deal?

Boolit Bub

452460 for 35 dollars, deal?

I went into a small, kind of run down gunshop today, never been there before. On the back shelf, hidden under dust and old holsters was a NOS Ideal 452460, shop owner said 35 dollars and it's mine.

Decent price? I honestly don't do much 45 casting outside of my MP 452374, but for that price, is it worth adding to the stash?

Banned

Yep.

Boolit Master

A new, Lyman double cavity 452460 will cost you $72 plus shipping from Midway. If it is actually an unused Ideal, it's being "vintage" would probably put it's price over a new Lyman.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	452460_165g-200g.gif 
Views:	337 
Size:	1.1 KB 
ID:	102934 165 or 200gr
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Single or double cavity? Whatever, it's an NOS Ideal, and that counts for a lot. Double cavity, grab it quick. Single cavity - if you want to display it on a place of honor...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Bub
    It is a double cavity. Still in the original orange ideal box.
    I believe it is a 200gr, as it has the double grease groove, although I may be wrong, as I'm not 100% familiar with this design.

I did read it is a very accurate .45 ACP boolit, some said the most accurate, close to the H&G 68.

Heading out the door to go grab it and add to the stash.

Boolit Grand Master
    Very wise, grasshopper.
    It is an excellent choice for target work. Not quite as generically reliable as the H&G 68, but very close.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Some collectors will buy the empty box if you want further justification for the investment.

Boolit Bub
    Well 25 minute drive to the store, and he was closed . Luckily he doesn't open again until Friday, so I will stop in again Friday, and update ya'll.

Boolit Master

And if the above weren't enough, that's a great boolit.
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

It's an awesome boolit for the 45 ACP.
    From what I have read, in the late '30's or early 40's, Ed Rowland designed a 45 ACP semi-wadcutter that was based on a 280 45 Colt revolver bullet.
    He just kept the same bearing length and eliminated as much lead as possible forward of the bearing surface.
    It was so accurate that it became very popular with Bullseye shooters of the day.
    As a result, a standardized version of this 2 grease groove design was adopted by Hensley and Gibbs as the H&G 78.
    Ideal/Lymans version of this same design is the 452460.

My mould drops 'em at about 202 grains out of WW + 2% tin.
    Pushed with a light load of 3.8 grains of Bullseye, they will shoot far better than I can, that's for sure.

Let us all know if you get that mould tomorrow.
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I hope "Some Guy" doesn't beat you there. Every time I go to Bass Pro, they tell me that "Some Guy" just bought the last brick of primers and the last can of Unique. And apparently he shops at Gander Mountain too!
    One of these days I'm gonna get there first and that scoundrel "Some Guy" is just gonna have to do without on that day!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just to add my 2¢ to the discussion, I have and like a single cavity example of the 452460, and had my liking for it verified by an article on reloading the 45 ACP in American Rifleman that said something like if you wanted to own just one bullet mould to do about everything with the 45, that was the one to get. I wish mine were a double cavity (or more) though!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Another good one for the 45 ACP is the H&G 130.
    The Lyman 452488 is virtually identical to the H&G 130.
    It is just as accurate as the 452460 in my opinion.
    The only drawback is that since the shoulder is more rounded on the 452488, it doesn't cut as clean a hole in paper as the 452460 does.
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master

Inquiring minds want to know.....
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Great deal. Especially in the old orange box Ideal, it means it is probably great quality, drops a proper size bullet. Some even big enough for 45 Colt.

Doug

Boolit Bub
    I finally got a chance to cast with the mold. I was planning to have more time Friday, but that didn't happen, and I didn't want to post without some pictures to show.

Name:	E84A7C04-D6A9-49D2-A19A-793B76254E35.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	103322

Name:	26D2BA1A-507C-4866-B0B1-C6775709BF09.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	103323

Name:	C8C93947-D968-416B-9FDD-10E1C881B4E5.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	103324

Name:	CB28519B-E41F-48A4-A96D-9C40AC26FA21.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	103325

As you can see it wasn't NOS like I thought, (in part to my rushing) but it is still in very nice shape. It appears as though it was well taken care of, and casts a nice boolit. I didn't throw any back from the small batch I made, so I'm pretty happy about that.

The boolits dropped extremely consistently; 206.5gr +/- 1gr. All measured at .4525

Two things about this mold that I'm not super happy with.
    The mold blocks stick together when it's up to temp, with boolits in the cavities.
    And the boolits don't drop as easily as I was expecting.

I need to look more closely into the sticking mold, as I've never had that problem before.

Boolit Master

Very nice!

Could be you have a very small burr somewhere causing the sticking.
    It also can be caused by that nice sharp front shoulder that cuts clean holes in paper. <shrug>
    That is one reason the 452488 became popular with the Bullseye crowd.
    No sharp corners means the boolits fall from the mould easier.
    I'm sure you'll get it sorted to your satisfaction...
    Matt

44 Special Articles

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ