Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Regular Lee resizing Die VS Collet style resizing Die

Boolit Buddy

Regular Lee resizing Die VS Collet style resizing Die

I was just on the Nachezss site this morning going through the Lee equipment and noticed Collet resizing dies for my 7.62x39 and 30/06. I have only ever used the standard type resizer's and am wondering why someone would want to move to that style of resizer?? what are the benifits? i reload brass cases for the 30/06 and both steel and brass cases for the 7.62x39 and know nothing about the collet style.

I guess another question would be to all reloaders out there is how many are using collet and how many are using the standard type sizers in these two calibers??

thanx for the input in advance.

Boolit Master

The Lee Collet type sizer dies are only for neck sizing, when used correctly they can make some very accurate ammo. The case run out at the neck and bullet run out most times is reduced.
    There also easier on the brass. I have used them with good results.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Grand Master

Correct me if im wrong but shouldn't you use a collet only if the brass is confined to the same gun?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Correct me if im wrong but shouldn't you use a collet only if the brass is confined to the same gun?
    Yes , you are correct, but the same rule applies to any sizing that regulates it's self to the neck only.
    A collet die is a neck sizing die only, unlike some bushing dies that can do a custom neck reduction and also size the body.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gray wolf View Post
    The Lee Collet type sizer dies are only for neck sizing, when used correctly they can make some very accurate ammo. The case run out at the neck and bullet run out most times is reduced.
    There also easier on the brass. I have used them with good results.
    My experience as well, and there is another benefit to using the collet dies as well, especially with cast bullets.

You can vary the neck tension - or at least vary just how much you squeeze the neck back down by not running the die down as far as the directions tell you too.

Once you have re-sized the neck, seated a correctly sized bullet and then pulled and mic'd the bullet, you know whether to back off the die. It's trial and error for a couple or three bullets but it prevents RE-sizing your bullets to a smaller diameter than originally planned.

Boolit Master

Yes you can vary the amount of neck sizing by how far you screw in the die. It squeezes the brass against a mandrel so there is a limit to how small you can squeeze the neck, unless you turn down the mandrel. And yes, these cases should be confined to use in a single firearm since the cases are fireformed to the chamber and may not fit and could be unsafe in another gun. Neck sizing is great for accuracy but make the round require more force to chamber since it is a tighter fit, thus it should only be used in bolt or single shot guns. Levers, pumps, and autoloaders should be full-length resized for reliable chambering.

In Remembrance

I use the collet die on several calibers. I use it for my Marlin 30-30 lever with no problems with cast. I do not load to Max and it has worked fine so far. My jacketed loads get resized with the full length die, as do any brass from another gun. I'm confident there is an improvement in accuracy with the collect die.

Hello ! All you said is true. Lee collet dies are (for me) the best ones if you are searching for top accuracy in a bolt action gun. I made this article a few years ago and haven't changed my mind :http://www.tecmagazin.fr/blog_tir/20...e-collet-dies/
    Hope this helps.

Collet or neck sizing dies should be used for bolt action guns. Your 7.62x39 is probably an autoloader and should be full length sized for reliable feeding. If your 30-06 is a Garand, you should also full length resize, but if it is a bolt action gun, you can neck size so long as you are reloading for that gun only.

Neck sizing will also make your brass last longer since you are simply squeezing the neck back to where it will give adequate tension to hold the bullet rather than a full length die which over squeezes the neck and expands it with the ball on the decapping rod. You will still need to at least partially body size once in a while if the shoulders start to creep forward. It's called "bumping the shoulder back".

You don't have to lube cases with the collet dies, also get less/no case neck stretching are the plusses I've found.

On the down side, ammo loaded with the collet dies needs to be shot from the same gun the brass came from. Not really an issue for my Contender or Handi Rifles.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanx for the input gentlemen. So if Im understanding right, any brass I find, first fully resize than shoot in my gun and collet type resizing would be all that is needed from there on. for my 7.62x39 however I have both an SKS and a bolt gun. might not work so good there eh?? ( Thats Canadian!! EH!! )

Boolit Master
    Using a Lee collet die on my 308 loads has eliminated the need for an Mdie for me. I use Lee's universal case expander to flare now. I've had trouble in the past messing up the mouth with an Mdie if I failed to pay close attention [obviously my fault]. I also get the perfect neck tension and no need for case lube.

Banned

No matter the gun, there will be a time when cases will no longer chamber and will need FL sized again, so you also need another die set. Just neck sizing will not go on forever.

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    No matter the gun, there will be a time when cases will no longer chamber and will need FL sized again, so you also need another die set. Just neck sizing will not go on forever.
    What 44man said! This is especially so if you use high pressure loads with jacketed bullets, e.g., the .243Win. with 3,000fps loads and 87gr. Hornady BTHP's. With cast bullets, however, the collet dies work wonderfully.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I will agree in as much as you guys know what you'r talking about around here. I, however, have worn lots of brass to the point of split necks and not experienced such. One particular lot of Hornady Match brass started splitting after nearly 50 loadings.

Boolit Buddy
    I believe you could body size then collet neck size if you wanted to for auto loaders. Lee only recommends them for bolt guns and single shot gun I believe. I suppose you could get away with it in some lever guns depending on the type of load you're shooting.

Something that I've noticed on these collet dies is that most of the dies I've bought had mandrels that were too large as they came from Lee to get enough neck tension for jacketed bullets. I've had to hone down almost all of the mandrels a few thousandths to get the neck tension right. It's hit and miss as usual for Lee. Good idea on the product, but exact size isn't always there. I've also made extra mandrels on my lathe to match for the larger diameter lead boolits I'm shooting in certain rifles.
    Never in history has there been a situation so bad that the government couldn't make it worse.
    A foolish faith in authority is the enemy of the truth.

Boolit Buddy
    Well ya'll!! thanx again for your wonderful input. I guess its back to Nachezss for another order. this time for collet dies.

now on to the next thing....... figuring out how to make a 2 part soft point lead bullet. I believe that there is a stickey on this that I will search for. I will look for the info of previous postings and If i have more questions, I will start a new post.

Have an awesome week and happy casting.

Crackerjack57