Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What can 300fps do?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The interesting thing about a 300 fps velocity gain, is the fact that is approximately the increase one needs to appreciably make a rifle shoot flatter. Those who worry about squeezing out an extra 50 fps from a load are wasting their time unless they can achieve the 300fps+ gain.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Wow that was a big Elk at 1400 lbs! I have never heard of one that large. Sure it wasn't a moose? http://www.rmef.org/ElkFacts.aspx
    I have been living in Oregon for almost forty years an avid elk hunter in my younger years. There has never been an animal that large recorded in this state that I know of and these are Roosevelt Elk the largest of the four North American Species.
    Oregon propagates the species and sells them to other states. It is quite the thing to see.
    What range or conditions you will be hunting in will determine what length and weight rifle you will be handling that day
    Silver Hand
    Last edited by Silver Hand; 04-23-2014 at 06:05 PM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I guided a fellow to a 7X7 bull back 30 some odd years ago. It was 1175#.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Super Moderator

There are some HUGE Elk running around here in Northern Arizona, but none are approaching 1400 pounds, not even close. That is Moose territory right there! 900-1000 is a REALLY big one. The ones that are here have gigantic racks, just not the big weight.

Boolit Master

300fps is approximately what the police less-lethal bean bags leave the muzzle at. These are typically an ounce of #9 shot wrapped in a Kevlar sock. It's also the ball park speed of a fairly top-end modern compound hunting bow shooting a 400 grain arrow. Plenty of penetration there!

I'm thunking if you're chucking a 350 grain pill at almost seven times that speed, you don't need to add the extra 300fps - even if your Irish elk is being chased by a short-faced bear.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Long ago I read of a test done by our military cant remember what branch but the test was to find the minimum velocity required for a projectile to penetrate human tissue. That velocity was determined to be 300 fps.
    Interestingly they did another test with 45 acp and 9mm Luger to determine the effectiveness of each.
    They found that when turned on live beef no animal fell to the 9mm until they were well into the third clip full of ammo and that no animal was able to stand through a full clip of 45 acp. Interesting!

Banned

I hate figures and only look for accuracy with no regard to velocity. ME does not kill but a good bullet/boolit will when placed right because it shoots where you aim.
    One thing I hate is when someone brags how fast his boolit is or how much ME it has.
    The truth is that a ML with a round ball has never been beaten and the larger the caliber, the faster they kill.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    You must have some interesting cats or else an interesting neighborhood.
    Suffice to say that I don't particularly care for cats. Also feral cats are the biggest reason for the decline of small game populations. So it's a win win

Boolit Master
    What happened to "tazmans" post?

Quote Originally Posted by SCHUETZENBOOMER View Post
    Yes sir, that a lot of lead. At the left is a std .35Whelen with the 280gr cast. To the right is the .375GP with the 350gr Barnes Original.
    I'm not familiar with the 375GP. What is it, exactly?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12