RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike venturinos favorite 44 caliber bullet?

Boolit Master
    Yes, I would certainly say you were the reason he left for better pastures. The archives will show your shameless and stupid attack where you ranted that Mike was making a fortune shilling bullet lube. In fact, Garbe is the sole proprietor of that lube that you, totally falsely accused Mike of shilling. He handed you your head in a sack on this site and hiked. Thanks 22 girl. Anyone with doubts go back a couple of years and read the shameful facts.

Galena Guru

MV , from what I recall named his self the Iron Duke after something I actually remember ..
    1962 Pontiac 4 cyl named the Iron Duke , it was basically a V8 cut in half and weighed around 500 pounds ..

Lighten up , it's only a nickname , John Wayne don't own the rights to "The Duke" .. I didn't like him as an actor ( except in El Dorado ) , he couldn't ride a horse , but he stood up for what we believe , and it did not take very much for him to get cranked up when someone spoke out against this country ..
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Hold on big guy...Thunder Pants?? TMI right there lol
    I wanted to us the user name of The Iron Duke on that adult site, but it was already taken by some guy in Montana.

Buckshot
    Donald Bowman

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    So, here we have Mr."Buckshot" who refuses to use Mike Venturino's chosen nickname.

Let me point out that the 'film idol' Duke was simply an ACTOR, reciting lines written by others in movies plotted and paid-for by others.

His personal accomplishments amount to a long career in FICTITIOUS situations, with very few, if any, accomplishments in the REAL world that lies outside the gates of filmdom.
    I thought we were talking about Duke the dog.

Take care, Tom

Boolit Master

I for one enjoy Mike's articles, and he was kind enough to respond to an email I sent him when I was a newbie caster, despite the fact that I now know it to have been a dumb question.

His casting articles are written for general consumption and are often below the boolit knowledge on this board, but newbies like I was not long ago can still benefit before they find the wealth of information and experience here. I have learned far more from all of you than I could have from any book or article, but Mike's writings are still informative.

I don't see any reason for disrespect for him or any of the other writers out there, as long as they continue to promote unconditional support for 2A, responsible gun ownership and everything that goes along with it.

Well,
    I guess we should stop here, as it is as most threads go when someone take a innocent comment and sends it to Mars.

To end it I will say in all truthfulness, I like Mike, I have everyone of his books including the very rare colt revolver book and two copies of buffalo Rifles, as I have just about wore out the first copy.
    I have a pile of magazines and clipped and saved articles by Mike, as I enjoy what he writes about and for the most part I trust what he writes. I too am jealous of being able to live on a ranch in Montana, going on safaris and owning a antique gun collection that I can only dream about, and all on a writers salary. I wish I had invested as wisely during my working life, I am now retired, and every gun purchase has to be weighed carefully against heart medicine and food.

So let's stop now, turn out the lights and sing Happy Trails as we ride into the sunset..

Buckshot Bowman

Mike Venturino is my brother's favorite gun writer. He is in my list of top ten. His writing style is fine, but my interest in some of his guns is not as strong as my interest in other types. For example, his favorite High Walls are 22 LR military training muskets. My favorite High Walls are finely crafted hunting rifles. I still like reading about his muskets though.

Comparing some of Venturino's older stuff to his newer prose shows growth in both his knowledge and writing skills, which were never lacking for much anyway. Still, it's interesting to observe. Some of the older photos of Duke are interesting too!

Duke's son tried to break into gun writing. Does anyone know what became of him?

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Mike Venturino is my brother's favorite gun writer.
    Duke's son tried to break into gun writing. Does anyone know what became of him?
    Perhaps you are thinking of someone else? Mike does not have any kids.

Hey Buckshot Bowman, I refuse to call you "Thunderpants'. That was my boy's nickname when he was two and I am sure you could never live up to his greatness.
    FWIW - some things are best left untold...........
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HollandNut View Post
    he couldn't ride a horse ..
    WHAT???.... I guess someone will come along shortly claiming Tom Cruise isn't really a ninja-type bad-a__ , or that he isn't attracted to women.... SHEESH! Some people will believe anything!

Boolit Buddy

Actually John Wayne COULD ride a horse. Don't know why anyone would say otherwise. When he was a kid, after his family moved to California, they said that's about all he did do, riding around the countryside on his horse.
    INFIDEL

Duke? what does that mean? is that a swear word? careful! the eyes are on you.

OH! and by the way. WHO CARES???
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Grand Master

MV does lurk around here a bit, just like any number of gunwriters and a few employees of folks who manufacture our toys. I wish he'd contribute from time to time but I understand if he'd rather not. I've had the pleasure of visiting with him and Steve Garbe in Raton years ago, they're both the real deal and are good for our cause as well as pleasant to visit with. I've enjoyed Mikes articles over the years as well as the primer he co-wrote with Steve. Mike's chapters in the latest Lyman CB manual were quite good as well, IMHO. Really enjoyed his book on leverguns as well. OTOH I enjoyed Taffin's Sixguns. Say what you want but he has pretty good taste in sixguns and seems to have his history down pretty well, AFAIK. I disagree with him on a few points but that keeps things interesting.
    Back to the OP I've often wondered if I could get by with one mould per caliber. Only problem with that is that we have to have at least two to decide which is better and sometimes those two indicate a need for a third and the goal of finding one mould for all 44's (or in my case; 45's) gets lost and we just have a good time...or at least I do.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy

I had read MV's writings for years before I learned he was from my part of the country originally, the southern Appalachian coalfields. I understand he grew up just north of me in West Virginia. I don't know him but he seems OK to me.
    INFIDEL

Galena Guru

I know the Duke could ride , actually there has been thru the years the rumor out that he could not ride , also that he didn't ride except in the movies and other rumors as well

Lighten Up
    Schamankungulo

GMCS USN ret.

Boolit Master
    It seems strange that Mike would leave a site because of things 22 girl says considering the amazing claims he always comes up with that a veteran like Mike would know were fantasy.

Boolit Grand Master

I seems strange to me that people try to demean someone for comments instead of arguing the point. I thought there were adults on this site.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Old Caster View Post
    It seems strange that Mike would leave a site because of things 22 girl says considering the amazing claims he always comes up with that a veteran like Mike would know were fantasy.
    Well -your are right but the other side of it is you get wore out fending off knuckle-heads all the time.

-jonp
    And then, not all adults were created equal.

When we want to come in here and chat it up- that's OK and when we're tiered of it we don't visit. And that's OK too. All adult choices.

Like anything, when someone assumes wrongly and then makes an unfounded disparaging remark: they get push back.

just my take on it -Michael Rix
    Chill Wills

Boolit Bub
    John is an icon; Mike is an expert.
    What 44 cast boolit do you prefer?
    I like my Mihec 250 gr Keith.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Well -your are right but the other side of it is you get wore out fending off knuckle-heads all the time.

When we want to come in here and chat it up- that's OK and when we're tiered of it we don't visit. .

-Michael Rix
    Michael it is common to have someone pick on a person out of jealousy, especially if they have proliferated, be it wealth or notoriety. These people also out of desperation make wild claims about themselves to get some attention but should grow up regardless of how old they are.

If you see Mike often, let him know that he is appreciated for his input. After all, he did it, and showed us. -- Bill Lau --

Galena Guru

I think the best thing for someone who is "known" is to use a handle that no one would associate with them .. I've read MV for many years and he seems a strait shooter , but someone like him on a forum probably has all the "experts" there trying to corner him with something ..

In fairness neither do I know 44man , BUT , I do know someone who shoots and hunts with him , or did at one time , and that person would probably vouch for him
    Schamankungulo

GMCS USN ret.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast