MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Trash Can Turkey Cooking

Boolit Grand Master

Question Trash Can Turkey Cooking

Good morning
    My hunting pard in ILLinois cooked his spring turkey in a new galvanized trash can. Seems to be a growing form of turkey baking. Looks interesting.
    My question is this... Cooking with galvanized metal such as placing a turkey in a galvanized trash can and igniting a charcoal fire around and on top of galvanized can for about two hours... would this release enough zinc fumes inside the trash can and be absorbed by the turkey that it could be a health risk ?
    I have no idea not having worked with zink and trying to stay away from zink in my melts. I just read everything I could about zinc toxicity and most deals with excessive vitamin doses. But one article mentioned the problems associated with welding zinc coated articles.
    So have you heard or read anything ? I am still searching the web. Seems I read something once about firefighters being warned about zinc fumes with shed fires.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

I wouldn't think of cooking anything in galvanized container.Besides ruining the taste of the food you risk poisoning with galvanized iron.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Grand Master

Howdy
    Did some more reading about zinc and fire hazards...
    " Zinc coatings on mild steel extend the corrossion life 20 times. However coating melting point is low at between 400-450C and when burnt can generate zinc oxide fume which is toxic and an irritant, which may lead to zinc or metal fume fever. However metal fume fever is a short lasting self limiting condition with symptoms similar to influenza".
    Sounds to me like this is similar to lead oxide fumes.. never eat with contaminated hands. Never eat or drink items that can be contaminated by fumes. Ingestion is the key.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I have been doing this for years! It works good. You don't cook the bird in the can. You use it for a cover to contain the smoke and heat. Think of a low heat slow cooker/smoker. This method has been around for years.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jimbo View Post
    I have been doing this for years! It works good. You don't cook the bird in the can. You use it for a cover to contain the smoke and heat. Think of a low heat slow cooker/smoker. This method has been around for years.
    Detailed explanation please! I think I see it in my head, but, wish clarification. mikey

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't cook/eat/or use as a heat container anything made of or using a galvinized coating in any way shape or form.

Moderator Emeritus

Galvanizing and cooking is a no-no, it will make you sick. Ask that in a BBQ forum and they would jump all over you. Now using a trash can as a cold smoker works because you never exceed 200 degrees, but I still wouldn't risk it.

Boolit Bub
    I built one of the "ugly drum" smokers a few years ago, got in a hurry, and used a galvanized pan under my charcoal basket, to catch ashes. I was worried until I did my test burn....16 hours, and when I dumped it out, the decals hadn't even discolored. going into its 3rd season, and they are finally pretty well gone, but because of rust, not heat. Then again, this never gets over 275°, and is on the opposite end of the fire.

Boolit Master
    Try calling your doctor and get his opinion, or your states department of health, or the Federal Government Dept of health.

Then get in touch with the moonshiners in Tennessee/Kentucky/ and all the other states with a major interest in moonshining (Love you guys, not knocking you) and ask them if they use any galvanized metal in there distilling.
    Why would you even think about using a galvanized pan, it's just a pan! There must be a 100 different containers you could use that wouldn't cost you anything. Sorry for the rant.