WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Gas check and paper patch?

Gas check and paper patch?

I see that some here use gas checks on their paper patched boolits, some don't. What is the the general rule on this? With a properly sized boolit, does the use of a paper jacket make the gas check redundant?

With a twisted and clipped tail paper patch on a gas check shank bullet, the gas check seems redundant. That said, I have not tried both ways through the one platform I own that might show a difference. I am able to hold 1 1/2 inch, 100 yard groups with my aperture sighted 1895 Winchester in .30-40 using an unchecked, patched bullet and can tell no difference when I gas check and then patch for the same rifle. When I buy a mould to fit my 8mm rifles, it will be a gas check shank that will be patched; probably sans gas check.

Boolit Master

I size my patched loads. I have found that a check is reduntand and can interfere with patching.
    I roll my patches soaking, and let them dry. These I size in a push thru sizer. With clipping the tail, it compresses where the check goes, making a seal. I do not cut my tails completely, but leave a stub to size with.
    The gas check left a sharp corner on the base that would cut the patch prior to loading. I now leave the check off and let the paper fill the check void. On firing, all paper ejects at the muzzle and on the fired loads, there was no paper present.
    Works for me.

Thanks for the help. Your answers are pretty much what I expected but I wanted to hear from those that have been down this road already. I am working on paper patching for my 308 Winchester, I hope to work up a good hunting load using a softer alloy.

Boolit Master

I use start load data for jacketeds with 4895 in the .30cals. My .308s love paper patching.
    Makes the bore shiney also.

+ one on the no check bullet. However the gas checked shank makes patching without tearing a LOT easier. I twist and trim tails because I want the base covered and protected.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master
    No gas check. I've tried trimming tails and leaving them on and can't tell the difference either way.