Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Problem with changing dies in the Star - the O-ring breaks

Boolit Buddy

Problem with changing dies in the Star - the O-ring breaks

Last week I got my Star from Magma, and I must say this is the way to if you want to size lead boolits. It is a dream to work with and I haven’t had any problems until last night when I had to change the die. The die sat fairly tight so I used the die removal tool provided from Magma. It was used as instructed, and when the die was dragged out it took the top O-ring with it and it was crushed and wrinkled. Luckily I had a set with O-rings and I installed one that looked like it would fit, and it did! The Star again performed well with sizing another caliber, but when I changed the die again the same thing happened. The top O-ring was dragged out with the die and it had to be replaced with a new one! The bottom O-ring was untouched both times.
    I cannot understand what I did wrong or what to do to solve this problem. The problem is not huge since I have a lot of O-rings but it’s irritating anyway, and with this pace of changing O-rings I would soon run out.

The heater was turned on half an hour before changing dies so the lube would be soft and make the removal easier and I did not use force but I could feel the die hanging on the O-ring before exiting the press. I suspect my installed O-ring to be a little thicker than the original but this does not explain it breaking the first time. The lube used is Carnuba red. The die and the press was new when the die was changed the first time. Should I’ve lubed the die on the outside before installing or put some grease on the inside of the press and the O-rings. All the time there where lube in the press so it was newer run dry.

Any advice? Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Take the thing off and throw it away. Mine shaves the top half off the ring every time I take it out and it doesn't leak without it anyway. Try it.

Here's another thread on it:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ghlight=o+ring
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Banned
    I'll second that. I threw away the O-ring on the first die change.

Boolit Master
    I haven't thrown my O rings away yet.............

I do use a dab if lithium grease and spread it around the circumference of the top band of the dies when I change them out. I'll also swipe around the O Ring with what's left on my finger. Seems to help alleviate the O ring tearing problem.

Hey, it's just what I do.
    Last edited by PbHurler; 04-21-2014 at 07:19 AM.
    Bob

Banned
    I also pre-lubed my O-ring prior to installing the die the first time and it did no good.

Boolit Master
    Over the last several years I have done many thousands of boolits and changed the dies too many times to count. The original rings are still in the machine. I never need a tool to remove the dies but only do it when the machine is warmed up. There must just be machining differences from run to run. I can push a warm die out with my fingers. I put a small amount of oil on the die before reinstalling it. Rod

The very first time I changed dies, the O rings got trashed.

I had preheated the Star and used the removal tool. I had removed the die slowly. The lube was Lyman Orange.

I thought it was my fault. I then read the threads and learned this is a common issue. A box of Harbor freight O rings was acquired. Now I rub a light coat of Snow Seal on the die before insertion to ease passage past the O rings.
    Last edited by enfieldphile; 04-22-2014 at 11:13 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Removeing the top o-ring sounds tempting. If it works without it why use it, right? Guess I’ll try and if the lube seeps out under the top of the die, I have to use some more of my o-rings. I also have some Lithium grease lying around from my former experiment with homemade lube, so greasing the outside of the die before installing the next time wouldn’t hurt either. Thank you for your shared experiences ! This is a great place for seeking wisdom!

O-ring? what o-ring? I traded for a star and it has a 358 die with it. It does not have ad o-ring. It works but is leaks out the bottom just a wee bit, around the die. Its more aggravating than anything but I would like to solve he problem, maybe I am missing this o-ring. Can anyone post a pic or their die with o-ring.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by rodsvet View Post
    Over the last several years I have done many thousands of boolits and changed the dies too many times to count. The original rings are still in the machine. I never need a tool to remove the dies but only do it when the machine is warmed up. There must just be machining differences from run to run. I can push a warm die out with my fingers. I put a small amount of oil on the die before reinstalling it. Rod
    This is how I do my changing of dies,I also use a little Vaseline in installing.

Quote Originally Posted by yman View Post
    O-ring? what o-ring? I traded for a star and it has a 358 die with it. It does not have ad o-ring. It works but is leaks out the bottom just a wee bit, around the die. Its more aggravating than anything but I would like to solve he problem, maybe I am missing this o-ring. Can anyone post a pic or their die with o-ring.

The o-rings are on Magma Stars...unsure when they started. Mine has them but they are in grooves machined in the casting where the die is inserted.
    The dies themselves dont use o-rings.

I tried grease, lube, hot, cold, removal tools...I just found leaving the top o-ring out solved the problem. I do get a little seepage of lube but not much.

Quote Originally Posted by 45cal View Post
    This is how I do my changing of dies,I also use a little Vaseline in installing.
    I also remove the die with my fingers but only when the machine is warm. I don't always use Vaseline but it helps.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Have lathesmith make your dies. That is how to eliminate O-ring issues.

Boolit Buddy

+1 for lathesmith dies.

Boolit Mold
    My first die change resulted in a torn o-ring.

My fix was to put 4 wraps of Teflon pipe joint tape on the dies to cover the vertical/horizontal joint at the top of the die.

No leakage of smokeless or BP lubes.

ADMIN

(1) only remove the die when its warm
    (2) use oil on o-ring to lube, I use bullplate (it works for me)

What I did is get a oversize o-ring and cut a peice out of it so it fits snug but not that snug.
    Without a O-ring mine will leak.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Buddy
    I have now used my Star two months without the o-rings and the leak with carnuba red is minimal so I don't bother anymore to insert new ones. If I change dies when the lube is hot I just push them out with my fingers. Quick and easy!

Boolit Master
    You won't damage any of those o-rings if the machine is up to temp. when you remove the die.