WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Help ID Winchester Hulls

Boolit Master

Help ID Winchester Hulls

Ok, to do a comparison shoot, I purchased some Winchester 12ga Super-X hulls today. They were labeled as Xpert High Velocity Steel Shot, Game & Target. 2-3/4" 1325fps, 1oz, #6 steel shot.

Using the Lyman 5th edition to help describe these shells, externally they look identical to the bottom listed Winchester Shell on page 34, Polyformed Plastic with Plastic Basewad 2-3/4" shell. However, internally the wad looks like the shell on top of page 31: Polyformed with Plastic Basewad 3".

My phone is dead, and I have no other way to post pictures at the moment. Anyone have any input on these? I know that the three listed shells have interchangeable data per the 5th Edition manual. However, this basewad is clearly unlike those three listed.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    Nobody has any clue? I don't believe that for a minute...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Banned

They are Steel steels and treat them that way. They have their own steel data.

Boolit Master
    Ok, so they are a no-go for shooting lead. Well, I guess I'll just hold into them, may find someone who needs them someday.

Boolit Master
    Most of them are the polyformed plastic with plastic basewad.. best bet is to cut one open and compare it to a known hull... and make your comparisons that way.. Ballistic Products likely has load data for them.. They seem to have load data for everything worth reloading..

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Ok, to do a comparison shoot, I purchased some Winchester 12ga Super-X hulls today. They were labeled as Xpert High Velocity Steel Shot, Game & Target. 2-3/4" 1325fps, 1oz, #6 steel shot.

Using the Lyman 5th edition to help describe these shells, externally they look identical to the bottom listed Winchester Shell on page 34, Polyformed Plastic with Plastic Basewad 2-3/4" shell. However, internally the wad looks like the shell on top of page 31: Polyformed with Plastic Basewad 3".

My phone is dead, and I have no other way to post pictures at the moment. Anyone have any input on these? I know that the three listed shells have interchangeable data per the 5th Edition manual. However, this basewad is clearly unlike those three listed.

I have look at the same book you have and if you look at page 309 for the last one you said that it looks like have the data for that one that you said look inside but for steel. But if look at the data for the one that you said that look like on the outside you can use it for lead and steel. because if you look at the data for lead and steel for the same hull you are able to use the same hulls but different data.There is some hulls that are use for both steel and lead or non lead loads. If is was me I would use them if that is what you have. But I let that up to you. but if it comes to the first one that is the way it looks then go by that check you book on all the data for the hulls you have and go from there.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA