Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Just had a thought.....

Boolit Buddy

Just had a thought.....

I was just thinking (usually a bad thing) about lube ingredients and realized I've never seen a discussion of using Ballistol as a lube ingredient. I like ballistol for lots of other firearms uses so it only seems natural that someone has tried it in a lube. Has this been done or do I need to be the first to try?

Banned
    Ballistol and beeswax about 80/20 makes a pretty good hand smeared on lube for BP conicals and felt wads and it does not seem to oxidize/bloom/dry out as badly as other beeswax based lubes used on conicals that are to be stored....never tried it in smokeless rounds, but it may work if you make it more like 90% Beeswax/10% ballistol.............good luck and keep notes to share with the class.

Boolit Buddy
    I just got some more beeswax and was thinking of making a small test batch of something like 60% beeswax, 25% JPW, and the balance in LLA and Ballistol until the consistency was what I wanted. Everything except the ballistol is a tried-and-true lube ingredient so it seems it would be a good test of the ballistol. I was hoping some of the chemist/chemical engineer types around here would weigh in though.

Boolit Grand Master

FWIW; When I started making my own lube, I read everything I could find. In regards to your question, nope I've not tried Ballistol as a lube ingredient, but read that nearly any kind of oil, grease, or slick-um will work when mixed with Beeswax (I've used Trans. fluid, Marvels Mystery Oil, olive oil, vegetable oil, lanolin, Crisco, and mebbe a few more that I don't remember right now). All worked to some extent, but my shooting was mostly under 1,000 fps in .44 Special and Mag, and .38/357.
    My Anchor is holding fast!