Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Repacking factory shells

Boolit Master

Repacking factory shells

I'm sure this has been covered before, but; Has anyone had any luck opening the crimp on the cheap bulk packs and replacing it with an equal weight payload? I've got some 1oz shot loads that fit my Lee 1oz slug really really well. A 20g nitro card and fiber wad puts the slug nose just above the petals so they don't get damaged when fired. I have no earthly use for light shot. I don't hunt anything that 7.5 shot would be suitable for so if it don't work, I ain't out anything.

Thoughts? If it works, it'd actually save me a bit on buying hulls, primers, powder and wads separate and trying to load them.

Well dean, I dont know how other folks do it, but I have had to kinda learn to be an expert on it... And I use a pretty simple method... My favorite tool is a lee universal decapping die pin... It works for me.... It has a nice hard not sharp tip that I stick right smack in the center and use it to pull the pedals up.... Then I use the heavy end to finish what I started with the small end.... Lifts them up just dandy when you use it like a lever, give it a try....

AG

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    I found an awl woks very well as does a small thin electronics Philip screwdriver. Here with me are 20 rounds (maybe 18 now) of Winchester reloaded with .685 round ball.
    Up north in ILLinos if I find a 100 pack of whatever brand (usually 7.5 shot) on a super special price I transform those into #5 shot and reduce the local crow population some more.
    Have never seen any pressure problems with the cheap stuff. They are not high pressure loadings and the same payload is of little subsiquence.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Bub
    I found it to be a pita... So I just reload em from empty hulls now hahah. I mean you'll go through all this effort cracking open the crimp, policing shot, trying to stuff a slug back in there. It's just easier to start with bare components and load em that way. You can certainly do a few by opening them up, but in any kind of volume it's going to get old real fast. If you're thinking about recasting that shot... It'll work but using a torch and the lee dipper or something will not work out super great. The mold will be way too cold to get a good cast. These things really need to be made on a pot at a pretty high pace to keep everything up to temp.

For those of us with no access to primers, this is getting to be the only way to get some....

Boolit Bub
    You can buy factory new primed hulls without paying for hazmat...

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsloop View Post
    I found it to be a pita... So I just reload em from empty hulls now hahah. I mean you'll go through all this effort cracking open the crimp, policing shot, trying to stuff a slug back in there. It's just easier to start with bare components and load em that way. You can certainly do a few by opening them up, but in any kind of volume it's going to get old real fast. If you're thinking about recasting that shot... It'll work but using a torch and the lee dipper or something will not work out super great. The mold will be way too cold to get a good cast. These things really need to be made on a pot at a pretty high pace to keep everything up to temp.
    I have to agree with you sir!!!

Go to a trap or skeet range. Pick up all the hulls you want for free. There are thousands of Estate and Top Gun hulls available. Load as you desire. Plus it will be less costly.

Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanGuy View Post
    For those of us with no access to primers, this is getting to be the only way to get some....
    Hey, if you, or someone you know is coming towards the valley they have been in stock at sportsmans and three bears regularly for about a month now. I've seen Rio and CCI in the last week. We've even had pistol and rifle primers lately too. Powder is still spotty and other than the glut of 22lr at Walmart and Cabela's a couple of weeks ago its still non-existant

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsloop View Post
    You can buy factory new primed hulls without paying for hazmat...
    I wonder if they can/will ship those to Alaska???...... If yes, that would be nice. May have to give ballistics products a call to see.

Boolit Bub
    Heh heh... WHAT PART of Alaska!

For me in Jersey everything shotgun reloading except powder is readily available. Heck even loaded birdshot/turkey/etc are all in stock in stores. 22... different story!

In Remembrance
    We have pretty much had shotgun primers on the shelves at sportsmans all during the shortage. It has been rare there wasn't allways one brand there, and two a lot of the time, any other primers is a get it the day they come in deal, and has been for a couple years. The last time some remingtons come in, their was people grabbing them out of the guys hand, very few boxes even made it to theshelf, and were gone within ten minutes of stocking. I was talking to the manager at theh gun dept and he mentioned that they got some in. I said yea, but they didn't last long. He ask which ones I needed, as he would get me some out of the back, because he only put half of them out and would put the rest out the next day.

This is very labor intensive, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I have actually reloaded shotshell primers with large pistol primers. It's a PITA, but it works. Disassemble the primer with a pin punch of some kind, and replace the primer part. I found that it works best using the original anvil, but it's not really necessary.

As for the original post, I just saw an article on doing just that. He was using 00 buckshot in a 20 gauge, but the process is the same.

Good luck!
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Bub
    Yeah I would reserve such a task for "neccesity for hunting ammo when the only thing available is birdshot". This is not something I Would consider fun unless you like torturing yourself hahah

Boolit Master
    I have used the small screwdrivers to open the crimp, but found a nail set works best. Peel em open, pour out the shot. Yea its a PIA, but cheap way to stock up on buck and slugs. Wont do it all at once, might peel open a box or 2, set them aside, then come back later and put some lead back in them, recrimp in a load all.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanGuy View Post
    You will have primers soon. Don't worry.

To answer the OP, ive dont it a million times. Pop up the crimp, dump the shot, seat a slug or Arab and. Use a socket and punch to beat the crimp back down. It works quite well actually

Boolit Master
    Okay, I know some of you feel this is too much effort but I've taken an old screw driver and ground it down and polished it smooth and with it, I can get the factory crimp open in seconds without chewing it up. Using a small flathead I can push the factory crimp back in and I showed a buddy two shells the other day. One I had opened and one I had not opened. He couldn't pick one from the other. SO, I'm settled on it being worth MY time.

Now for my latest discovery. I have found that factory RIO 1 1/8ounce loads (7 1/2 shot) use a wad that is a PERFECT fit to my Lee 1ounce slug. I pulled a wad and it is SNUG in my unchoked barrel but not so tight as to be dangerous I think. Using (1) 1/8" thick 20g nitro card under the slug puts the nose of the slug just touching the bottom of the crimp. I'm thinking that will have the slug opening the crimp and keep the petals from getting damaged.
    Nitro cards are like $8 per 500 from BPI and the local CoOp has the RIO ammunition for $6 a box. I'm hard pressed to believe I can buy all the components necessary for that kind of money. Especially considering I don't have a press to work with I have to go to a buddies house and use his. I can do this at the loading bench with two hand tools. If I did a flat (250 rounds) I would be set for life.
    Obviously I need to shoot some first and see if they group. Being as this load is for 1 1/8 ounce at 1280fps, I'm thinking it should be fine with a 1 ounce replacement.

Thoughts?

Boolit Master

Turn a couple loose @ 25 yds. Your load sounds ok to me, just shoot out of cylinder or improved cylinder and you may be pleasantly surprised with their accuracy.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, the only 12g I have is a Weatherby with an 19 inch chrome lined cylinder bore barrel. I'm going to throw some this weekend. If they'll stay inside 4 or inches at 25 yards, Ill be happy enough.