Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do people think Ranching is easy? Check out what John Q Public thinks

Do people think Ranching is easy? Check out what John Q Public thinks

Check this out. Our waiter/server (male) at a restaurant we use to go to called us up and wanted a job on one of our proposed ranches. He said all he makes is $200.00 a day tips plus $13.00 and hour and medical and they MADE!!! him work 30 hours this week. He usually only works 25 hours.
    He's 42 and from a wealthy family in San Fransisco

I can't ever remember a 25 hour week in my lifetime........ Mine are usually 18 hours a day but have slowed down here recently.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 04-20-2014 at 02:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    50 weeks a year a minimum of 60 hours a week of irrigating, putting up hay, feeding hay, working on wind mills, fixing fence, repairing broke down equipment that was new in 1958 and finally 2 weeks of cowboying. It's a great life!

Every day is a working vacation. lol
    MPBARRY1

NRA Life Member

PASS IT ON! TAKE A KID SHOOTING!,

Boolit Master
    Using those numbers, and assuming a 5 day work week, that comes up to $66,500 a year.
    Growing up in a resteraunt, I'm sure its harder than ranchwork, as I saw cowboy movies and they never seemed to work much at all!
    I've thrown a few bales,mucked out a few stalls, etc. I can't imagine a hired hand gets paid that much. I think he'd better keep waiting on customers.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    $200.00 a day tips plus $13.00 and hour and medical
    Sounds like poor wages to me. I'd have to work 80+ hours a week to get by. His laziness on hour is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by bayjoe View Post
    50 weeks a year a minimum of 60 hours a week of irrigating, putting up hay, feeding hay, working on wind mills, fixing fence, repairing broke down equipment that was new in 1958 and finally 2 weeks of cowboying. It's a great life!
    Are you in Parker CO or Elizabeth?

Quote Originally Posted by plmitch View Post
    His laziness on hour is sad.
    Sad indeed!

Boolit Master
    Colorado City/Rye CO area

In Remembrance
    Someone that could possibly be a waitress until they were 42 years old then switching to ranch work and lasting a week, would be a truly unique individual. In fact someone that once thought about being a waitress would have a hard time making a day on a working ranch, in my opinion. Ranch work is more of something you are born into, very few people turn into cowboys later in life succesfuly, except on the gentleman type hobby ranches.

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Someone that could possibly be a waitress until they were 42 years old then switching to ranch work and lasting a week, would be a truly unique individual. In fact someone that once thought about being a waitress would have a hard time making a day on a working ranch, in my opinion. Ranch work is more of something you are born into, very few people turn into cowboys later in life succesfuly, except on the gentleman type hobby ranches.
    The waiter is a guy.
    Someone better raise cows or were going to run out of food in 10 years or less.

Quote Originally Posted by bayjoe View Post
    Colorado City/Rye CO area
    You ranch down that way? It's pretty dry.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    The waiter is a guy.
    Someone better raise cows or were going to run out of food in 10 years or less.
    LOL I assumed that, To be honest a female waitress would probably transfer over to ranch life better than a mail waitress. lol

Galena Guru

I grew up farming and my dad and his brothers foolishly 'gave' all our land away by the time I was getting out of high school and ready to be in the sixth generation farming on the same lands .. My brother , my cousin , and I all of a sudden found what we thought were our futures , gone almost overnight ..

The guy better stay where he is at ..
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

Boolit Master
    Wonder who he voted for in the last two potus elections?

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    LOL I assumed that, To be honest a female waitress would probably transfer over to ranch life better than a mail waitress. lol
    I can surely agree with that. The women at least in this town are a ball of fire when it comes to working.

Anyway, The guy is 42, single and living with two Chihuahua's. I think he's a HERE
    A lazy one that's for sure.

Boolit Master
    You ranch down that way? It's pretty dry.
    No, got out of the business.
    Yes it is really dry on the eastern plains of southern Colorado. It will take years for that country to recover. If the tumble weeds catch fire this spring, there won't be nothing left for miles.

Boolit Master
    college does that,

Boolit Master
    Even though I've done little ranch work, it's painfully obvious that nowadays, if you're a small family operation, ranching has to be a labor of love, since if you divide up your net-net profits by the number of hours worked, you're probably lucky if you're making minimum wage.

Also, to most urban dwellers, ranching is just riding around on a horse all day long, when in fact much of it is repairing fences, gates, barns, trucks, tractors and other assorted machinery. Oh, and don't forget that because of the inherent dangers to people and livestock, you have to be a doctor and veterinarian too.
    Last edited by smokeywolf; 04-20-2014 at 03:54 PM.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

Sounds almost as bad as dairy farming. I had enough of that growing up, but I can sure respect those who make a living at it.

Yea, you have to be a carpenter, mechanic, electrician, plumber, veterinarian, logger, etc..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast