RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Build

Boolit Master

New Build

I have had 8 chickens for a year now, getting 6 to 8 eggs a day.
    So I talked wife into more, needed a bigger coup.
    Few weeks ago picked up some wood(free) from a house that was taken down, old elm and oak.
    Built a coup that is 8' x 16' and the run is 16' x 24', big enough for 25 new chickens.
    1 White Leghorn, 9 Red Rangers and 15 Buff Orpington, 4 weeks old or so.
    Found the chicks here close to home for 5 dollars each.
    Here in a few months I will move the other chickens into the big place.
    Will start giving eggs away for free till I have ya hooked, then start selling for money,

ammo or chores done around the place.

Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master

A few of the new girls.

Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Great job, looks like a nice coup. I would suggest a rain gutter on the roof connected to a raised rain barrel. Run a PVC pipe into the could with about 10 water nipples spaced about a foot apart. Would make a nice auto watering system

Those girls should be happy livin at the 'Ritz' ! I see they even have a Jacuzzi at their disposal !

Boolit Buddy
    Chickens have been a hobby of mine for years. I have 14 myself great for the grand kids. You have a very nice set up.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Being raised on a tobacco farm in S.Georgia, I know a little about chickens! In the old days (right after the Earth cooled) you could go to the Feed Mill and buy a 100 lb. sack of biddie mash and they would give you 50 chicks free!

You kept the biddies under lights to keep them warm till they got some size and then put them in the fenced in chicken coop. When the young roosters were frying size you ate those leaving a couple of roosters to keep the hens happy and started getting eggs from the hens.

When the hens got so old they stopped laying you killed and processed the hens for broilers (chicken and rice/dumplings) I've seen my grandmother ring the necks of 20 or so hens then pluck and clean them for the freezer in a matter of hours! After that go back to the Feed Mill and buy another sack of Biddie mash and go another round!

I don't know how it's done today but thats how it used to be. Of course then chickens were not Pets by any means. Take a good look at the grass in your Chicken coop cause it will not last long!

D
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Chicken farmer!

Boolit Master
    Kinda reminds me when the girls decided to raise chickens for the 4h club. Went to pick up 12 chicks with the wife and when she came out we had 24. A lot of people never came to pick up what they ordered so the poor guy who was selling them was giving an extra 12 to anyone who would take them. Made up a huge cage out of plywood and screening, some heat lamps and of course chicken feed. They did very well and placed well in the judging. Sure tasted good. Frank

That is a really nice coop sir.

I'm glad to see that your coup is roofed. The ravens here in Flag steal my neighbors eggs. Brodie

Nice job, but, I noticed a possible issue that might arrise in spousal or neighborhood relations.
    Take a sample of the metal shed to the paint store and purchase a gallon or two of a good grade exterior paint. Paint the entire chicken coop to match the shed. It will blend in and not mortify the spouse. Happier spouse = happier you.

Next either get rid of the white leghorn or dye it in a nice cammo color.
    I'd recommend Araucana hens, but finding the eggs can be an issue.

Red333, it is tough to make meaning money selling eggs. On the other hand, giving away eggs makes the recipient happy as punch and keeping chickens more rewarding.
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

Boolit Master

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    Nice job, but, I noticed a possible issue that might arrise in spousal or neighborhood relations.
    Take a sample of the metal shed to the paint store and purchase a gallon or two of a good grade exterior paint. Paint the entire chicken coop to match the shed. It will blend in and not mortify the spouse. Happier spouse = happier you.

Next either get rid of the white leghorn or dye it in a nice cammo color.
    I'd recommend Araucana hens, but finding the eggs can be an issue.
    Hi,
    Rhode Island Reds!

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/rhode_island_reds.html
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master

Thanks, our neighbors cant see the coup, cant see their house ether, to far.
    Paint is coming, after payday.
    Was not wanting to make a lot of money from eggs, more for fun and eating.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I AM A REDNECK!!!

In Remembrance
    I usually ordered chicks through the mail. I would order 50 at a time usually 25 production red pullets and 25 straight run crosses to butcher. The folks at the post office was always glad to see me when I went to pick them up. lol

You can get chicks by mail? I thought it was only mail order brides!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OnceFired View Post
    You can get chicks by mail? I thought it was only mail order brides!
    Same thing, is it not?
    OUCH, wife just hit me in the head!
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I AM A REDNECK!!!

I can't figure out how come there's grass in that coop. Our chooks completely stripped the ground bare in nothing flat!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    Red333, it is tough to make meaning money selling eggs. On the other hand, giving away eggs makes the recipient happy as punch and keeping chickens more rewarding.
    I prefer just to eat the eggs and hatch out all the extras. That plan has been working well this spring, but I am beginning to notice that more frequent trips to the feed store are required! On the other hand, the first batch of chicks raised this spring are in the freezer and are very tasty.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast