Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: looking for loads to use with RCBS 22-055-sp mold

looking for loads to use with RCBS 22-055-sp mold

Hello friends, I am looking for loads to use with RCBS 22-055-sp bullets. After gc, lube and sizing they weight in at 59.0 grns (+/- .5gns.). I would like to use R-7 but also have Unique on hand. I will be using these in an AR w/ 1-7 twist. Thank you for your thoughts in advance!!

Boolit Master
    Unique is too fast unless you want to shoot as a single shot. R7 may work but it's a little faster than I like. My favorite load is 20 grains AA2520. Like shooting a .22 yet works the action.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Grand Master

Start at 12 gr of the RL7, use a 1/2 gr Dacron filler and work up in 1/2 gr increments to 20 gr. You are looking for a load that just gives 100% reliable functioning. Your best accuracy will be there.

Larry Gibson

Listen to Larry,
    Also go to the Military section and look for HM2 in a title, OR SEARCH "223 loads" "AR loads" , "HM2" The HM2 will be 2-5 gn's heavier but that won't matter
    Not wanting to be a dark cloud but with your 1-7 twist ??
    Also,depending on your alloy and the type of chamber your AR has your castings might be on the small side.
    . you should slug the chambers throat, you might find an egg sinker small enough, it should be at least .226 -228 in Dia.
    But having said that, if you are just trying for some low $$$ "zombie" / plinking loads, then follow the path of least resistance {what ever is the easiest}
    Last edited by Wayne S; 04-21-2014 at 05:35 PM.
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Thanks for the input guys, I will take heed and give the RL7 s shot. I am curious about the Dacron filler. I have never heard of it and why do you need it? Thanks again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyridge runner View Post
    Thanks for the input guys, I will take heed and give the RL7 s shot. I am curious about the Dacron filler. I have never heard of it and why do you need it? Thanks again!!!
    Dacron filler is the fluffy hairy white stuffing in most stuffed animals, also used sometimes in pillows. a bag of it at WM is about $ 10.00 [SWAG] and would last you 20 lifetimes. There is a "sticky" here on the use of fillers.
    Another form is "batten" used in dress making, comes in a roll and is flattened, easier to get about the same amount each time.
    It's used to position powders against the primer and in one area instead of laying through out the case
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Be it known that 20 gr of RL7 will get you somewhere near 2900 fps in a 20" barrel and that will be a little over 298,000 rpm in your 7 twist barrel. According to some, that's way to much RPM for accuracy. At 18 gr your doing 2400 fps (247,000 rpm) with a 60 gr bullet with only 23.7K pressure, 11.5 gr is 1686 fps, 173,400 rpm and only 13.4K psi. I don't think they will cycle your rifle.

Another thing regarding the RCBS bullet is trying to keep the bands above the case neck. I'm afraid will seat to deep in the case to give good accuracy. The SAECO 60 gr mold might be a lot better for your application with either 4227 or Alliant 300MP.

Those "fillers" are just crouches to get around loads that are not optimum. In many cases they will hurt accuracy and in some cases, they could be dangerous as Lyman will not recommend them for that reason.

Frank

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Start at 12 gr of the RL7, use a 1/2 gr Dacron filler and work up in 1/2 gr increments to 20 gr. You are looking for a load that just gives 100% reliable functioning. Your best accuracy will be there.

Larry Gibson
    Sounds like sound advice, especially dacron with RL7
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Might try around 16-18gr of H4895. Our Intermediate length 5.56 upper cycles with 55-60gr cast with 16gr of H4895 and velocity is low enough so accuracy is quite good.

Boolit Master

Sunnyridge Runner,

I have a NOE clone of the mold you note. Sized to .224, lubed with 45-45-10, and aluminum gas checked, mine weigh62 grains. I loaded these with 6.4gr of Salut (Rusian Unique). A friend tested 10 rounds for me through his AR. He told me, although they won't operate the bolt, they shot into 1 1/2" at 100 yards. This is my go-to load for my T/C. Good luck working up other possibilities.

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

I did try using red dot. I did loads from 6.0 grn up to 9.0 grn in 3 grn steps. though none of the loads worked the action of an ar, they were within 1 3/4 groups at 100 yards. Next I will be working up loads with R-7 attempting to get the action to operate with acceptable groups.

Here is what I have come up with. I loaded 6-2 round batches with RL7 (15,16,17,18,19,20 grains) and 6-2 round batches with W748 (18,19,20,21,22,23). I only was testing for the bullet leaving the barrel, ejecting spent case, chambering next round and last round bolt lock back.
    Relaoder - 7
    15,16 and 17 ejected but did not chamber next round
    18 and 19 ejected, chambered next round only partial bolt lock back
    20 grains ejected, chambered and had full bolt lock back.

W-748
    18 ejected, did not chamber, no lock back
    19 ejected, chambered, partial lock back
    20,21,22,23 ejected, chambered, full bolt lock back

My next step is to take RL-7 at 20 and 21 grains and load 8 round batches of each load and test for accuracy and reliability.

Then W-748 20,21,22 grains and run through the same tests.

Boolit Master
    I had VERY good results with Green Dot but that was in a bolt action. Not sure if it'd cycle the AR.

Boolit Master

You guys better watch the SunnyRidge Runner character. He shoots his guns at all hours, melts lead like crazy, and just loves AR's and AK's along with wheelguns, autos, and all other actions.

...........He's also my brother in law, I got him hooked on casting and reloading and I don't think his checkbook ever recovered. Just don't tell my sister.............<grin>.

Good to see you here Chris!

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell