Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-30 on Truline Jr. What are the options in dies?

Boolit Buddy

30-30 on Truline Jr. What are the options in dies?

Well I have my little TLJr, and just picked up a old Marlin 336 in 30-30. I know they have 310 dies for neck sizing, but did they ever offer a full size resize die for the later TL Jr presses? Im only loading for this one rifle, but just incase I dig up some old brass, I was hoping to have the option of FL resizing. Ive been tossing around just getting a old single stage press might just be what I have to do if I don't have any other option.

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman at one time made a full length case resizing die. These were just a piece of steel with the resizing chamber bored in it. Nothing to adjust. You pounded the case into the die with a soft face hammer and it was supplied with a knock out rod. Better than the hammer is a bench vise or an arbor press. Case must be lubed before sizing. These can often found at gun shows for $5.00 to $10.00.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks catskinner. Ill keep a eye out for that. That would be doable. Im not planning on loading a ton of rounds for it.

Boolit Master

If I'm not mistaken, someone marketed a replacement head for the Trueline Jr. that took 7/8 X 14 dies. You might search the net and see what turns up or maybe someone more savy than me will pop in here with the source./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master

That replacement head was made by a guy who sold them on eBay. It is find for pistol rounds but I would not recommend using it for full length sizing rifle rounds. The poor old press is just not made for that.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I'll second Wayne statement.

I have several later TL jr, compound linkage, with the 7/8 x 14 head on them, with carbide dies and a little Imperial sizing die wax 44 mag case's are about all it will do.

A good little press for range use with pre prepped brass but I wouldn't want to strain it with FL 30-30 case.

I have a Lee Challanger for such chores and actually use a modified Lee deluxe 4 die set to reload my 30-30 for use in my Contender.

The Collet neck sizing die is way good stuff but won't work in the Tru Line JR.

Ckeck here in our S&S section the Challanger shows up once in awhile or snoop E bay.

Any good O press will work here for FL sizing rifle case's

Boolit Buddy
    Ya Ive seen the plates, but now they are up to almost 100 bucks with shipping... I can get a old singlestage, or a Lee for about that price I don't see that it makes sence to over tax the press.

Thanks for your advice on the 30-30. Ill keep a eye out for neck size dies for the TLj, or for a older single stage [what I want to get anyways....]

Boolit Buddy
    Well the more ive tossed this around the more I think Im going to just pick up a basic single stage, and normal 30-30 dies for it. I want a single stage anyways, and might as well take the money I was going to spend on the TLJr dies, and put it toward a press, and standard dies. This will of course change if I trip over a smoking deal on 30-30 310 dies. Thanks for the help!!!

Lyman made a FL die for the Tru Line Jr. for .222, and most pistol cartridges. Possibly for 22 Hornet also, but I'm not sure about that one.

Resp'y.
    Bob S.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

Boolit Master
    Beagle, Wayne Smith:

The Gentleman who makes the replacement turrets for the Tru-line Jr., name is Tom Baka. I purchased one direct from him some time back and the price is much cheaper then what he lists on E-bay! It is worth noting that he can also make a 6 hole unit for the Jr., and an 8 hole model for the All-American all at an up charge of course!

If anyone is interested in acquiring one, PM me and I will send you his contact information.

As far using the True-Line Jr. for anything larger than pistol calibers, I think not. Even with a carbide die and imperial wax .44's are a stretch! Mine is now dedicated to my .32 Mag and that's it. I kept the sundry .22 jet dies, and .45 Colt's as curiosities if I ever want to re mount the 5/8's head.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_001199.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	104482
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Quote Originally Posted by catskinner View Post
    Lyman at one time made a full length case resizing die. These were just a piece of steel with the resizing chamber bored in it. Nothing to adjust. You pounded the case into the die with a soft face hammer and it was supplied with a knock out rod. Better than the hammer is a bench vise or an arbor press. Case must be lubed before sizing. These can often found at gun shows for $5.00 to $10.00.
    Lyman called these things "Shell Resizer". There are always some on Ebay, just type in "lyman resizer" and they will pop up. A 30-30 should come along pretty soon, they are not rare.

A Lyman Shell Resizer and a 310 tool and dies will produce ammo fully equal in quality to that produced with a thousand dollar press and dies. These tools are slower and more labor intensive, but in no way inferior in ammo quality.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 05-10-2014 at 05:53 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Le Loup Solitaire
    The shell resizers once made and sold by Lyman worked very well. One had to use a vise to get the case into the sizer or else put a piece of wood over the base and pound it in with a mallet or hammer. But it was slow. As for the Tru-line Jr, it was very popular in its time and it did a good job with pistol cartridges. It was the only press into which the 55 powder measure ever fitted. However there was a fair amount of flex in the press and there was no provision for catching spent primers so they went all over the room. The press is not considered a strong press and regardless of what kind of turret head is used, especially those made for use with 7/8X14 dies, pushing the press to do rifle calibers is risky in terms of stressing the linkage. There is no sense in ruining the press which will eventually happen. It is a neat and compact press and will work well within its intended range of power and performance. LLS

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Vaquero View Post
    Beagle, Wayne Smith:

As far using the True-Line Jr. for anything larger than pistol calibers, I think not. Even with a carbide die and imperial wax .44's are a stretch! Mine is now dedicated to my .32 Mag and that's it. I kept the sundry .22 jet dies, and .45 Colt's as curiosities if I ever want to re mount the 5/8's head.

My main use for this press is 38spc/357, and 22 jet. Ive yet to load the jet, but works nice for 38/357. Ill probably reserve it for those jobs. Thanks for all the advice guys!

Boolit Grand Master

Both the Lyman resizer and the original Lee resizing die (hammer type) work much better with an arbor press. Just in case you have one.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Both the Lyman resizer and the original Lee resizing die (hammer type) work much better with an arbor press. Just in case you have one.
    I decided I "needed" to take a couple of machine shop courses at the community college where I teach part time. One of our projects was a cute little arbor press that was just about the right size to crack walnuts but not much else. Since I was an old fart auditing the course for fun anyway, the instructor was easily persuaded to let me make mine taller so it would hold a rifle shell and Ideal push-through sizing die. It works pretty well and is a lot more pleasant than doing all that hammering like other folks have to do!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Beagle, Wayne Smith:

The Gentleman who makes the replacement turrets for the Tru-line Jr., name is Tom Baka. I purchased one direct from him some time back and the price is much cheaper then what he lists on E-bay! It is worth noting that he can also make a 6 hole unit for the Jr., and an 8 hole model for the All-American all at an up charge of course!

If anyone is interested in acquiring one, PM me and I will send you his contact information.

Wow I like that handle bent that way,that is something I'm going to try
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Buddy

Arbor press for Ideal shell resizer/LEE loader dies

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Arbor press is the way to go, I modified my arbor with a hole in the X piece, and the ratchet mod as per YouTube. It's surprising how much force is required to FL size a well lubed 30-30 case.

I got one of these, in 30-30 in a grab box, and when I figured out what it was, I had to try it.

They are available, found a guy selling them on the interweb for 25 $, a custom order. Ebay has them now and then for 10 or more. search for "shell resizer". AKA a "hammer die".

IMO after resizing 2 boxes of shells, a press and a set of dies will look like a good investment.

If you already have a T-L Jr. it'll get you going, and arbor presses are common and cheap. American Rifleman also suggested a vise or C-clamp. If you use a vise, use smooth jaws or your brass will become junk, as will the die. My advise, use an arbor press.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20150203_184958.jpg  
    Last edited by nitro-express; 02-03-2015 at 09:00 PM. Reason: add picture

Boolit Grand Master
    Beagle, Wayne Smith:

I somehow managed to skip over the part about an eight hole turret top for my All American! Would you be so kind as to PM me with contact info? That could be a big help on my bench.

TIA ~ Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    PM Sent
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Master
    A more robust SS and standard dies would be the best option
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast