Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is there a way to get free shipping at Midway without spending $175?

Boolit Master

is there a way to get free shipping at Midway without spending $175?

Apparently there is a jump at about $85 where they no longer offer the $10.62 shipping with UPS and USPS both involved and go to just UPS for $19.32. Another dollar added from $84 costs you $9 more in shipping. Just trying to cheap my way out of a problem here.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    That is the very reason I picked up my new holster at Cabelas today.

Same price as Midway but no shipping charge IF I picked it up at my local store on the way to do other shopping.

Do I mind saving $$$$ on shipping.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Grand Master

Shipping is a significant cost and worthy of consideration. I simply added mould handles this week until I got free shipping, seems I keep running out of them. I've done the same with gas checks. They won't go bad, I'll use them someday and they seem to go up every year or so.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    When Midway charges $14.95 shipping for something that fits in a USPS small flat rate box and sends it UPS to my local post office to take 2-3 days longer someone is getting ripped off and it sure isn't Mr Potterfield.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master
    While I do understand where you are coming from, I don't mind doing a little bit of extra shopping when I find myself in similar predicaments. Considering that Midway/Mr Potterfield sponsors my Weds night veiwing on the Outdoor channel and has for years, I don't mind giving him my business. I'm not saying cave in to outrageous shipping, I just try to fill a need if possible.

Also, he donates a ton of money to the NRA, out of his pocket. I'm not talking about the round up program that comes out of our pockets.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

I think the only way would be to marry Larry Potterfield. While Larry seems to be a super nice guy, it's not an option I would be willing to explore.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post
    When Midway charges $14.95 shipping for something that fits in a USPS small flat rate box and sends it UPS to my local post office to take 2-3 days longer someone is getting ripped off and it sure isn't Mr Potterfield.
    Its a cost of doing business. I doubt that they could stay in business not charging for employees that are packing your goods. I get irritated with the cost of shipping myself but then again I don't have millions of dollars worth of items on my shelves waiting for someone to purchase it.

Boolit Master
    Sometimes they have a article that sells with free shipping. Sometimes I get that widget to qualify for free shipping, then buy the stuff I really want.

Brownell's has the same issue with shipping as Midway. I usually open the two sites in two different tabs to compare prices. With shipping added in, there is usually only a couple bucks difference.

On another side note, how is it justified to base shipping cost on item price, and not weight and volume? It's not as if they are insuring anything, shipping stuff with that so-called "smart post" carp. Smells fishy. Gouge, gouge gouge.

Other places have been getting my money lately; Midsouth and Widener's most recently.

<rant over>

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't even look at shipping cost usually.

If I need or want it, I buy it. Pretty simple really. I can either pay for it or do without it.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Perma-Banned

For most purchases, Midway has never charged me what I consider to be over the top shipping fees. In most cases, don't forget that sales tax is not charged. That 175.00 bought here locally in MD would be an additional 10.50, as well as gas at 3.70 a gallon. I live where nothing is close to me. A lot of companies charge a lot more than Midway for their shipping costs. I do agree that charging 15.00 for a sfrb through USPS is hard to swallow though.

OB

[FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3]Je suis Charlie

Safeguard our way of life...Defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic!!!

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    I am not a in any way related to or a representative of any vender other than Myself.

As some have eluded to shipping cost is not just Postage, Not all boxes, envelopes, tape, people to pull the stuff off the shelf, people to package it, and packing material are free.

Yes shipping can be expensive but at 4.54 for a gallon of diesel for myself to drive 50 miles isn't free either. nor is the time it takes to drive.

Shipping costs and no sales tax is usually a good deal, but some would complain when they use a new rope.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master

As much as I would like for more vendors to use Flat Rate shipping, I would sure Not be in favor of the USPS ever gaining a monopoly over the domestic shipping market. That would be a REAL horrorshow.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master
    I love to pay shipping, I don't have to be subjected to some local butt head who doesn't want to work, don't have to waste my time to go to the local stores that don't have what I want spending gasoline at 4 bucks a gallon and taking time from a busy day. Don't get me wrong I'll maximize shipping when I can, but if you count the fuel and the time most shipping is a steal.
    The same with guns, my local shops are just a waste of time, they are full of junk overpriced in line muzzleloaders, absolutely rusted up junk again overpriced used guns, and of course all the 2k Benelli's you could want.
    I'll just pay the shipping and buy on line and pick up at the FFL.
    It's 2014 and I like it.

Boolit Master
    Buy one of their "free shipping" items, some cost $4 or so. This will usually cut your shipping cost in half.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy lead View Post
    I love to pay shipping, I don't have to be subjected to some local butt head who doesn't want to work, don't have to waste my time to go to the local stores that don't have what I want spending gasoline at 4 bucks a gallon and taking time from a busy day. Don't get me wrong I'll maximize shipping when I can, but if you count the fuel and the time most shipping is a steal.
    The same with guns, my local shops are just a waste of time, they are full of junk overpriced in line muzzleloaders, absolutely rusted up junk again overpriced used guns, and of course all the 2k Benelli's you could want.
    I'll just pay the shipping and buy on line and pick up at the FFL.
    It's 2014 and I like it.
    I couldn't agree more.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

The above comments is one of the reasons I use Graf & Sons whenever possible.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

I buy on line when I can not find it anywhere else. I mainly get it from the gunsmith I am friends with and for what he charges with the tax is cheaper then the shipping added on the low cost item. When I look at getting something I look at it for what it is cost on line with the shipping added. f I find it on my travels in a store and at a nice price I will get it but if it is high I past it up and look else where. Like some said sometimes it is cheaper to get it on line then to drive to the store.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I don't even look at shipping cost usually.

If I need or want it, I buy it. Pretty simple really. I can either pay for it or do without it.
    Isn't there some rule against displaying common sense on the internet? "Bad btroj bad" <holding rolled up newspaper>
    "HMMMM.........It wasn't spos'ta do THAT!"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by monadnock#5 View Post
    As much as I would like for more vendors to use Flat Rate shipping, I would sure Not be in favor of the USPS ever gaining a monopoly over the domestic shipping market. That would be a REAL horrorshow.
    Most people that want USPS Flat Rate shipping have no idea how bad it is. For selling a few items here it's fine. Shipping thousands of packages a day w/ no real time tracking w/ a company that has a penchant for losing them is a recipe for disaster. The potential money lost just hurts my brain thinking about it. Midway's shipping costs seem to be all over the place. I also find they use boxes that are to big for your order. Shipping cost is based on size and weight. W/ size being the biggest factor. Less boxes on the truck means less money they make shipping them. The UPS w/ USPS delivery at the end is the biggest joke. Your UPS tracking number stops working when they hand it off. I received the package three days later and it was handed off 10 miles away. I gladly pay the extra for UPS straight to my door.

We will see if companies start offering Fed-Ex flat rate because they now offer it. I trust them a lot more than the USPS. As long as gas prices stay high so will the shipping costs. We will know shortly how much Obamacare will effect prices of everything so hold onto your hats.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast