Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scotch Brite copper scrubber instead of Choreboy

Boolit Master

Scotch Brite copper scrubber instead of Choreboy

I picked up some Scotchbrite at Walmart today. I can't ever find Choreboy in this part of the country. Does anyone know if the Scotchbrite copper scrubbers are safe to use?

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    It will say somewhere on the packaging if it is 100% copper or "coated" with copper. Also you can use a magnet to check.
    If it's these.... they're steel with copper coating.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043OWCQY/...SIN=B0043OWCQY
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    The magnet is the ultimate test.
    It either passes or it doesn't pass.
    Real simple.

Ben

Boolit Master
    Yup, that is what I've got. Oh well, it will be useful for scrubbing my smelting pot before I use it as a casting pot

Any suitable replacements for Chore Boy in the Georgia area?

Boolit Grand Master

Hard to find Chore Boy here too, but Winn Dixie sells O-Cedar brand 100% copper pads. They sell coated too, so be sure to read em.

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Grand Master

18 pads carried to your door in Georgia for $15.57. Hard to beat that. Pro tip: They work great on pots and pans too.

http://www.amazon.com/Chore-Boy-Copp...pper+scrubbers
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

The ScotchBrite I'm familiar with is not metallic at all. They come in a variety of grits. We use them extensively in the electrical industry for cleaning, where the non-conductivity is a big plus. we use the green or maroon, two different, but pretty coarse grades.

I use the same ones at home that I use on the job. They work very well for cleaning pots, or for that matter, just about anything.

I haven't experimented, but I think that the synthetic substrate of the pad would melt and burn. I'd want to be careful to rinse off any abrasive residues after using a pad, but we used them on some fairly delicate equipment.

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Buddy
    I never knew there was a difference . the 1 I had here and had been using only when I get a little leading that I cant get out with a bore brush. I would cut a small section and wrap it around the bore brush and run it through . after reading this post I went and checked it and a magnet stuck to it so I threw it out .I hope I didn't do any damage, it wasn't something I used on a regular basis

Vendor Sponsor

You can ebay real chore boy and get a few with postage for $10 or less. Ace hardware carries bronze wool pads that work well too.

Scotchbrite is an abrasive coated strand of non metallic material. Chore boy and bronze wool are not abrasive, they are just plain metal strands wrapped into a pad.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Mold
    I got fed up burning gas and hunting for it in local stores . They sell it on Amazon . I bought a lifetime supply !

Boolit Buddy
    Walgreens, here anyway, sells the O-Cedar copper scrubbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    Yup, that is what I've got. Oh well, it will be useful for scrubbing my smelting pot before I use it as a casting pot

Any suitable replacements for Chore Boy in the Georgia area?
    Wire wheel on a drill/grinder

Boolit Master

Here on the Oregon coast I can't find Chore Boy either but they do have Dawn 100% copper mesh scrubbers. in 2 packs. Work well.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Amazon has 100% copper CHore Boy pads. and if you have Prime shipping is free.

Walgreen's has them. They certainly have the in No. Cal. Here is a shot from the shelf oof a Walgreen's in Norman, OK.

Looks like you can also get a pure copper generic scouring pad cheaper too. Some Ace hardware stores carry bronze wool which also works well.

Vendor Sponsor

Heh well, must not be no crackheads in Norman OK, the rest of the US has quit selling it because it is used heavily in crack pipes as a filter. That might be a good thing for Oklahoma ya think?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    On my .45 ACP barrels I use scotch brite pads with comet cleanser under hot water when the wife isn't looking. I cut them to fit super tight on a jag and they bring the bore up to speed quickly. My barrels are stainless. Rod

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Heh well, must not be no crackheads in Norman OK, the rest of the US has quit selling it because it is used heavily in crack pipes as a filter. That might be a good thing for Oklahoma ya think?

Dang druggies ruin everything for us first over the counter drugs now our pots and pans scrubbers.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by 62chevy View Post
    Dang druggies ruin everything for us first over the counter drugs now our pots and pans scrubbers.
    Yes, punish everyone because of abuse by a few. Sound familiar?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast