Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: .44 Black Powder Reloads

Boolit Mold

.44 Black Powder Reloads

Quick question.

Did some searching and didn't really get any clear answers on this.

Can I use 45 cal .452 230 grain LRN Bullets in place of conicals for a BP Revolver. the only issue I see if that they are longer then a normal conical but the same diameter as conicals I have used.

Like I said what I want to use but wanted to know if anyone has are Hornady 45 Cal .452 230 gr LRN in place of a conical bullet for a revolver.
    Last edited by Ammastor; 04-20-2014 at 08:54 AM. Reason: had the bullet diameter stated at .254 instead of .452

Boolit Buddy
    First real problem I see is the black powder slugs need to be pure lead and of course the difference in the dry film lube ( I am assuming your talking of Hornady swaged bullets) vs soft black powder lube.
    Second is,as you have already mentioned is the length of the bullets,which is going to eat up powder space. The conicals aren't much bigger than a round ball,and they are a lot lighter than 230 grains.
    Third and probably most important is can the rammer take the pressure of seating a harder bullet if it contacts the chamber on loading. I have shot a bunch of Hornady swaged bullets in my 45 and 44-40,they are definitely not pure lead.

Boolit Master

Being a Black powder novice myself , the first thing in my mind was ,can the rammer stand it ?? & what fps can ya get with the limited powder space ??

I`m stayin tuned.
    GP100man

Boolit Buddy
    I used Lyman's No.452374 for several years in a Ruger Old Army with no problems. Cast from straight WW, sized to 0.452 and lubed with SPG. The limiting factor will be if your bullet will fit between the cylinder and rammer. And, of course, there will be a necessary reduction in the powder charge due to the greater length of a Lead RN compared with a RB.

Jim

Boolit Mold
    I was just curious that is all. I am a Sagittarius and by nature am a vary curious creature. You know one of the people who have to know everything about everything.

I really have no reason to try it but was curious if someone has and how they made out with it.

I am buying a conversion for the 1858 Peitta so I will be able to fire the 45LC which I have already been reloading for that purpose so when the conversion arrives I will be able to head out and try it out.

Round balls are accurate outta my gun. roughly 30 yards and I can get 4 outta 6 bulls-eyes seems like the hot spot for my gun is around 28-32 grains. any highers and it off same with any lower of a charge.

What I have been loading is:
    1. 25 grain charge 230 grain bullet with federal LP Primers
    2. 30 grain charge 230 grain bullet with federal LP Primers
    3. 35 grain charge 230 grain bullet with federal LP Primers

see which one shoots the best for me. with each charge.

All should be below the 1000 FPS range by data I have collected around the net should put be between 650 - 850 FPS. But I wont know for sure as I do not have a chrono.

But like I said was curious about using the same bullets for the standard BP round as well as in a cartridge.

maybe one day ill try firing one and see what happens.

Thank you all for the replies